Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Important?
Atlanta Area 94 48.96%
Dallas Area 24 12.50%
Houston Area 50 26.04%
Miami Area 24 12.50%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,258,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
What about globally.... ???
As far as I understand, this thread concerns domestic matters of the Southern metros. Now if this thread said, which Southern metro is the most global or something like that, I could see the rankings would be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Houston by far is the most powerful economically in regards to GDP and Fortune 500 companies. Its port is a huge asset as well. However, that is not the question of this thread. The question is, if one of the four cities were taken out of the South, which would have the profundest impact.

With that in mind you have to look at more than GDP. Houston has a seaport, Atlanta has the world's busiest airport. With that in mind, airport travel, IMO, is easier for business travel than using a boat, although the boat is probably better for cargo. Nevertheless, Atlanta has UPS using the airport to transport stuff. I'll give the port of Houston the edge here, although UPS is also a huge asset, just like Houstons airport.

Houston also does not have the higher ed that Atlanta has. Allow this to translate into not only can Atlanta compete in the business world, but is a top higher ed magnet. This brings top thinkers from the world and nationally. This means that Atlanta, among the Big 4, can teach students from the South and send them back out.

Houston is an important city, however, if a business wanted to business within the South it needs to have closee access to the population. Since Atlanta's geographic location is prime, it attracts regional HQs from national and international companies.

These are items amongst other things that think tanks and INDEPENDENT organizations mentioned earlier look at when Atlanta is consistently ranked ahead of Houston and Dallas, although I'm surprised to see that just as you are.
I understand what your saying and agree that all those things are very important. However, the question asked which one would cause the most impact if pretty much wiped off the face of the earth:

Now just look at how much a little ole hurricane caused in the south when it hit the gulf coast region (including Houston area):

YouTube - Gas Shortage Spreading!

YouTube - Drivers in NC Panic Over Gas Shortages

YouTube - Gas Shortage Grips Southeast

YouTube - Gas Shortage Still Stalling Southeast

Old 06-20-2010, 04:31 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Actually I take that back, it makes some sense that Atlanta is winning. If you think about it, most people are probably choosing the city that is the most SOUTHERN culturally. So what is the most important city in the SOUTH? Many people would say Atlanta because if you think "city in the south" to a lot of people the first thing that pops in their head is Atlanta.
You're kind of grasping at straws at this point.

Atlanta is winning because it gets the most national media exposure through television and music. Plain and simple. Let's face it we live in a plugged in country and people equate importance with how often they're exposed to a certain location or culture. I seriously doubt the average Joe surfer here is sitting down and thinking before they vote "hmm I don't know. Houston has a pretty big port and NASA..." while Atlanta is over there broadcasting CNN in their living rooms and their children are listening to hip hop.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Technically; the south extends past I-35. Areas like Lubbock, Amarillo, Abilene, and more are western south; not Houston and Dallas. Those parts of Texas have much more in common with the south than the west or the southwest. You don't get that western feel until you enter the trans-pecos region.
You get that Western feel around Central Texas Austin/SA. Austin/SA/and Central Texas remind me almost nothing of the rest of the South.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I made this argument three years ago in the very long capital of the South thread. There is no capital of the South. There is however a center of the South. What chiatldal just said is basically what I said. Atlanta is the center of the South. Meaning, it has more connections to the majority of the South than Houston, Dallas, or Miami ever could. Historically, Economically, Socially, Atlanta is in the mind of most Southerners though not necessarily all.

Miami's influence does not leave Central Florida.

Houston's influence is South Texas and points east through Southern Louisiana and Southern Mississippi.

Dallas influence is North Texas and points east through Northern Louisiana, Northern Mississippi, Southern and Central Arkansas, Oklahoma, and you can make an argument for Western Tennessee but it's minimal at best.

Atlanta covers all of Georgia, Alabama, overlaps with Houston and Dallas in Mississippi, South Carolina, Western North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Florida.

This does not mean Atlanta is more important than the other three. It means Atlanta has more connections in the region than the other cities.
I was right there making that same argument with you.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:39 PM

I think ATL's sphere of influence as the Southern capital stops as far West at around New Orleans, stops as far South around North of Daytona Beach, and as far North and stops around South of NoVa(Northern Virginia) And the areas in-between are heavily influenced by ATL.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:43 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,149,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
You're kind of grasping at straws at this point.

Atlanta is winning because it gets the most national media exposure through television and music. Plain and simple. Let's face it we live in a plugged in country and people equate importance with how often they're exposed to a certain location or culture. I seriously doubt the average Joe surfer here is sitting down and thinking before they vote "hmm I don't know. Houston has a pretty big port and NASA..." while Atlanta is over there broadcasting CNN in their living rooms and their children are listening to hip hop.
The average Joe is also skimming channels and noticing "CSI: MIAMI" "Miami Medical" "Kourtney and Khloe take Miami" "Burn Notice" "Miami Social" etc. lol or maybe he'll turn on his radio and hear "I'm in Miami trick!". Hm, maybe he wants to go retro and watch "Golden Girls" or "Miami Vice". Maybe he likes learning about how to customize cars and such so he turns to "Unique Autosports: Miami". Maybe he feels like watching a movie, say "Scarface" or "Bad Boys", just to name a few .

Last edited by clean_polo; 06-20-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 04:49 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
The average Joe is also skimming channels and noticing "CSI: MIAMI" "Miami Medical" "Kourtney and Khloe take Miami" "Burn Notice" "Miami Social" etc. lol or maybe he'll turn on his radio and hear "I'm in Miami trick!".
....aaaand I've never heard of any of those except Miami Medical (which I've never watched) and CSI which isn't that great of a show. CSI NY was always my favorite.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:55 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,149,959 times
Go back and read my post now, it seems like there are a lot of older people on this site, you haven't heard of some of those shows? I mean I'm 21 so I'm still pretty young but geez.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
....aaaand I've never heard of any of those except Miami Medical (which I've never watched) and CSI which isn't that great of a show. CSI NY was always my favorite.
I think Miami is probably the MOST exposed city in the South. More so than ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City