Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Arizona 4 3.48%
Texas 8 6.96%
Florida 2 1.74%
Hawaii 3 2.61%
Oregon 13 11.30%
Michigan 10 8.70%
Indiana 51 44.35%
Virginia 9 7.83%
Georgia 7 6.09%
Alaska 8 6.96%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Seeing as Miami is in Florida, and Hollywood LOVES Miami, I'd probably go with like Oregon or something. I could see why Florida is an option though because it seems like Hollywood forgets theres any other cities in Florida except for Miami lol.
Oregon? Hollywood LOVES Oregon. Twilight for starters, The Ring and The Ring 2, Feast of Love, Untraceable, The Goonies, The Hunted, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Kindergarden Cop, My Own Private Idaho, Stand By Me, Free Willy, Jackass the Movie, Mr. Holland's Opus, Wendy and Lucy, Management...

Alaska, Hawaii, Arizona, and Florida get a lot of attention, too, because of their unique geographies or appeal. Georgia, Michigan, and Virginia seem like they are "generic American" settings for a lot of movies. Texas... Texas may be overlooked for its size, but isn't overlooked in general. I think Indiana is the winner... Or loser I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:07 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Even though Indiana is winning by a long shot on this pole, there is a new show on ABC called The Middle, that takes place in Indiana.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs220.snc1/8718_143229228541_142422188541_2670794_2929902_n.j pg (broken link)

Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 PM

170 posts, read 391,329 times
they filmed a portion of the movie "public enemies" in indiana too..

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I watched my first episode of it, but Parks and Recreation apparently also takes place in Indiana as they mentioned that at the end of the episode.

Maybe some Hoosiers complained because it seems like the state is getting a bit more attention the last few years. Or maybe the state going for Obama has allowed Hollywood to put it in the "okay" file instead of the "Red state loser" file (Smiley as I'm not totally serious on the politics.)

Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I think it's Texas.It's the second largest state in the nation and movies/TV shows in Texas are so rare, it's not normal.
That is so untrue. Texas is one state that gets plenty of Hollywood attention even if it is unfair stereotype movies or television. I picked Indiana but even Indiana has been the focus on some movies [one was about high school basketball but I can't recall the name at the moment].

Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That is so untrue. Texas is one state that gets plenty of Hollywood attention even if it is unfair stereotype movies or television. I picked Indiana but even Indiana has been the focus on some movies [one was about high school basketball but I can't recall the name at the moment].
Of all the states on the list though, I think Indiana, Virginia (outside of the NoVa area), and Oregon get the least attention.

And I know people will say Twilight and other things for Oregon, but in reality- think up all the movies other states get and the number they get and compare it to Oregon & Indiana.
Virginia is a benefit/lost recognition state. It's got plenty of scenes with movies/shows relating to Washington DC, but that's only the northern portion of it. The rest of the state goes heavily under the radar.

Naming one or two movies won't cut it though- on a larger scale, those three on this list of the thread have to be the most underrated/forgotten, in my honest opinion.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Category:Films set in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That seems to indicate every state has had films set there. Delaware has the least with only two films and one of those is apparently about New Yorkers hunting in rural Delaware. States that they list fifteen films or less for include

Arkansas (They list four television shows)
Idaho (1 TV show, a one-season show called "The Manhunter.")
Iowa (5 TV shows)
New Hampshire (1 TV show The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire, which lasted 8 episodes)
North Dakota (Wikipedia has no category for TV shows set there)
South Carolina (2 TV shows listed)
South Dakota (Deadwood is all they list)
Vermont (2 TV shows, one being Newhart)
West Virginia (Wikipedia has no category for TV shows set there)
Of the states listed here South Carolina looks to be the most populated. Although IMDB indicates 166 films have "Charleston, South Carolina" as a location and 27 have "Greenville, South Carolina" as location. I can't find IMDB listings for Columbia

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Charleston South Carolina USA"
IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Greenville South Carolina USA"

North Dakota and Delaware might still top for rarest overall.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It does, as a title. Anyway, get a kick out of that movie.

"And I suppose that's your accomplice in the woodchipper."

I also liked the flat, white scenery.

Yeah, I always thought that was weird. Because Brainerd Minnesota is in a forrest. So, when I saw those flat white scenes, I was like where the F is that/!?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Minnesota has actually had a lot...
North Country
Jingle All the Way
Mighty Ducks, 1, 2, and 3
Fargo
Drop Dead Gorgeous
New in Town
Feeling, Minnesota
A Simple Plan
The Cure
Grumpy Old Men 1 and 2
Joe Somebody
Purple Rain, lol
Juno
Little Big League

Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Minnesota has actually had a lot...
North Country
Jingle All the Way
Mighty Ducks, 1, 2, and 3
Fargo
Drop Dead Gorgeous
New in Town
Feeling, Minnesota
A Simple Plan
The Cure
Grumpy Old Men 1 and 2
Joe Somebody
Purple Rain, lol
Juno
Little Big League
Juno was filmed in Vancouver...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City