Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That's a valid point. London would probably be really cool.
GTA: London 1969 was the funniest and one of the most overall fun games in the series. It was an add-on for GTA1 for PS1 that Rockstar did back when they were based entirely in London, in which you play a mod thug working his way up from a scooter gang to taking on the biggest gang in London. I've heard from a few people who work for Rockstar that they've mulled over making a current-gen version of it, but the whole 60's mod culture is a niche market and they're not sure how profitable it'd be - when they released it, Austin Powers had just come out and there was a brief vogue, plus it was much cheaper to develop. Really, anything that they do will sell one way or the other... but they have pretty lofty sales figures to live up to.

The LA setting is a good one, and after what they did in GTA:SA, I'm really eager to see how it turns out. They're going to include some of the suburbs and rural areas/deserts again, so that'll be fun... I enjoyed exploring the wilderness in the game, and was amazed at how well they captured the feeling and scenery of the drive between LA and SF, the Norcal woods, and each city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
nv

Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM

14,015 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That's the thing though--I'm not cherry-picking L.A. densest sq miles. "Central L.A." includes the massive Hollywood Hills and Griffith Park (4,000 acres), plus all the sparcely populated districts west of the historic core in DTLA. I left them in because I'm well aware that all cities have industrial areas that aren't very populated. I'm trying to be fair.
even so, your doing a 6 by 8 mile rectangle around DT LA, Boston Proper is a 6 by 8 rectangle with Downtown in the Corner, not the Center

Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,408 times
Anna's is not remotely worthy of the hype.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
even so, your doing a 6 by 8 mile rectangle around DT LA, Boston Proper is a 6 by 8 rectangle with Downtown in the Corner, not the Center
No, the place he cherry picked from is the San Fernando Valley, not anywhere near DT actually. The valley is the poster child for people when they think of the endless urban sprawl associated with LA. He managed to get 14,000 ppsq out of select neighborhoods, which is pretty impressive, and more of a testament to LA than an indictment on Boston. Boston's figures are skewed lower as well. It is a larger, more urban place than people realize because the city lines are drawn so small.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Anna's is not remotely worthy of the hype.
Fun fact: Ana's is owned by two Japanese brothers. So, it's Mexican food via Japan, served in Boston.

My best friend who hails from Boston and I have talked about opening an honest-to-god, hardcore taqueria in Boston, but we don't know how well it'd do since Ana's is everyone's favorite. We spent all our teens walking around talking about how much we missed the Mexican food in CA and saying that if we ever had the money, we'd open a taqueria there to save other hungry, bored teenaged males from the same misterable fate we had. Alas, I'm here and he's in SF... and neither one of us really want to move back, as much as we love it back home... maybe someday.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 PM

14,015 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
No, the place he cherry picked from is the San Fernando Valley, not anywhere near DT actually. It's part of the image people get when they think of endless suburban sprawl. He managed to get 14,000 ppsq out of select neighborhoods, which is pretty impressive, and more of a testament to LA than an indictment on Boston. Boston's figures are skewed lower as well. It is a larger, more urban place than people realize because the city lines are drawn so small.
read the quote I quoted.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Fun fact: Ana's is owned by two Japanese brothers. So, it's Mexican food via Japan, served in Boston.

My best friend who hails from Boston and I have talked about opening an honest-to-god, hardcore taqueria in Boston, but we don't know how well it'd do since Ana's is everyone's favorite. We spent all our teens walking around talking about how much we missed the Mexican food in CA and saying that if we ever had the money, we'd open a taqueria there to save other hungry, bored teenaged males from the same misterable fate we had. Alas, I'm here and he's in SF... and neither one of us really want to move back, as much as we love it back home... maybe someday.
Boloco cracks me up too. A pulled pork burrito is not a burrito!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
True, and I can't speak for raymond, but I would 1000 x over rather live in Boston than the San Fernando Valley. Just cause it's dense doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Oh, I totally agree. I'm not a fan of the SV Valley myself outside of a few places here and there.

Just pointing out how dense the L.A. region is. SFV is supposed to be suburbia (think Fast Times in Ridgemont High), yet it goes toe to toe with Boston for density. Crazy.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
read the quote I quoted.
Oh ok I read it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City