Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:26 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times

Advertisements

Me being an Angeleno, I'd naturally vote for L.A. It's all I know since I don't have the luxury of visiting places outside of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:26 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
[QUOTE=mosdefinitely;43664217]I'm a born NYCer and honestly, I've been to Boston. I liked it to an extent but it's way colder at times up there. I prefer Rhode Island over Boston area personally.

I haven't been to LA since 1996 but you can't beat tropic weather and arguably the 2nd best city for nightlife, etc. Only downside is, I wish they had an intricate subway system that covered the whole city like NYC.[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LA does not have "tropical" weather (assuming that is what you meant). But it does have a Mediterranean climate which is a unique climate that only about 1 percent of the earth enjoys. So.Calif. is the only place in the USA with a Mediterranean climate which is perhaps one reason a lot of people don't know much about it.

Big difference between a tropical/sub-tropical and Mediterranean climate. I think a lot of people from the Midwest and East coast come to LA expecting a climate like Miami (or even Hawaii).

As for the subway, well, LA will never have as intricate a subway system as NYC. But it is going through a major rail expansion right now. And already has a lot more rail options now than it did 20 years ago when you last visited.

Rail Insider-Metro pushes an ambitious rail-building agenda in car-centric Los Angeles. Information For Rail Career Professionals From Progressive Railroading Magazine

Old 08-24-2021, 02:01 AM

1,037 posts, read 677,792 times
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I thought it would be interesting to see where everyone stands now.

I haven't been to LA in years - part of me hated it when I did go, but I was also intrigued. Maybe I need another visit?

I always love Boston, but how does it stack up against this much bigger foe?

Old 08-24-2021, 06:01 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I thought it would be interesting to see where everyone stands now.

I haven't been to LA in years - part of me hated it when I did go, but I was also intrigued. Maybe I need another visit?

I always love Boston, but how does it stack up against this much bigger foe?
Some areas in LA has change it been gentrified and Downtown LA has construction of high rises everywhere it much better than 20 years ago.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:17 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
I didn't like LA when i went but it was during the pandemic.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:55 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,076 times
I only did a few day trips to LA back in '97 and '98 when my buddy's family moved out to Orange County during college. We ate at this good sandwich shop called Phillipe's (or something like that) by the big train station (Union Station maybe?). We then drove all through West Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Wilshire (Capitol Records building?), UCLA, Santa Monica Pier and into the hills of Malibu. That's really all I remember about it. It was fun for a few college kids from NJ/NY at the time. Spent more time in San Diego on that trip and the natural scenery and chill vibes were just amazing there. Haven't been back to either since. Time flies. Maybe I'll go back to SoCal one day, who knows. I definitely need to explore the area more as I didn't do it justice.

Boston's a real nice, quaint city. I go up for biz trips about once a quarter. LA is way bigger than Boston so hard to compare straight up.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:56 AM

503 posts, read 597,583 times
Which city has better food?

Old 08-24-2021, 11:31 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Which city has better food?
LA. Not even close. Boston restaurant food is geared to the tastes of college students (ie one step above Aramark and Sysco dorm food).

Old 08-24-2021, 11:49 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
LA. Not even close. Boston restaurant food is geared to the tastes of college students (ie one step above Aramark and Sysco dorm food).
It’s not quite that bad but food in metro LA is superior to metro Boston. Some of it is the proximity to fresh produce. Some of it is the multicultural aspect of LA with huge Asian and Hispanic populations. Some of it is sheer size. Boston was downright horrible 50 years ago. It’s come a long way but it’s second tier for cuisine among the major US cities.

Boston is good at what it’s good at. The collection of Universities is the best in the country. It’s strong in tech, biotechnology, and healthcare. It has a very high education level. I think it’s best to think of it as a boutique city where it doesn’t have the massive scale of LA. If you compare head to head in those areas, Boston does really well. If you want to compare across the full spectrum, it’s more appropriate to compare NYC and LA as the two giants.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Hahaha.

But naaa, Boston has come a long way, though I'll concede that Cambridge and Somerville are still the pound for pound champions in Massachusetts.

Though the South End is still the foodiest neighborhood in Boston, many others have seen an influx of great restaurants. And it's hard to dismiss the North End and Chinatown for what they are.

But, yeah... It's not LA, that is for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City