Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Houston should be the capital of not only the USA, but the world. It's the biggest and best city anywhere in the world; Austin is a close second. There IS no comparison folks.
You've got to be joking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You've got to be joking....
He was joking...

Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The children who have a out of work father struggling to pay the bills back home, you can ask them how much unemployment rate plays a role in their day to day life in these cities.

The rest of your post looks good though.
This year we got a lot of snow down south, but if someone expects Atlanta to be cold there in for a rude awakening.

The unemployment rate is like the weather, were in a recession, bad weather a tougher than normal season this isn’t the climate. The unemployment rate is abnormally highier. You brought up the unemployment rate as if we were talking about a declining rustbult city.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This year we got a lot of snow down south, but if someone expects Atlanta to be cold there in for a rude awakening.

The unemployment rate is like the weather, were in a recession, bad weather a tougher than normal season this isn’t the climate. The unemployment rate is abnormally highier. You brought up the unemployment rate as if we were talking about a declining rustbult city.
I brought up unemployment rate solely due to competitive markets. Rustbelt cities or not, they're all the same. Every city in the country is treated the same, no exceptions. Can you blame Detroit for not diversifying it's economy? Yes you can.

Can you blame Houston for it's dependence on oil & gas in the 1980's? Yes you can.

Tell me, in which city are families better off presently as far as moms and dads having jobs go? The answer is a city where the unemployment is lower, and more people are able to sustain jobs.

That's why I said what I said. I like Atlanta and wasn't taking a shot at it.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-23-2010 at 01:08 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 AM

Anyways as far as big cities go:

Boston:
Boston_0006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bysr/367654349/ - broken link)

Atlanta:
Georgia Capitol Building on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosesxan/4084009849/ - broken link)

They're both nice.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM

141 posts, read 284,724 times
I always though Madison, WI was a beautiful capital for position in the city, right on the isthmus, and the building itself. It was built just a few feet shorter than the nations capital out of respect. If I find some pictures I will post.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,259 times
New Mexico's Roundhouse was completed in the late 40's - early 50's.

Today the whole thing is covered with tree's and an annex was created... Also santa fe grew about three times its population from then.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
I brought up unemployment rate solely due to competitive markets. Rustbelt cities or not, they're all the same. Every city in the country is treated the same, no exceptions. Can you blame Detroit for not diversifying it's economy? Yes you can.

Can you blame Houston for it's dependence on oil & gas in the 1980's? Yes you can.

Tell me, in which city are families better off presently as far as moms and dads having jobs go? The answer is a city where the unemployment is lower, and more people are able to sustain jobs.

That's why I said what I said. I like Atlanta and wasn't taking a shot at it.
And frankly I can't stand Boston people (just my opinion) ask for directions and get told to "**** off and buy a GPS" is not my ideal style of vacationing there. Then wear my Cubs hat and have everyone stare at me like I'm some outcast... not ideal either... I know not everyone there is like that- in fact a large majority probably aren't, but first impressions and continued impressions either band aid the wound or deepen the cut, but I can't ****ing stand the people from there. I much prefer New Yorkers a lot (nice, friendly, great people- from a great city), and people from the City of Brotherly Love more as far as Northeast goes.
I like Boston the city, but I hate the people.

I also know I go hard on Boston, but quite frankly, those experiences and people like lmkcin, they really do show me why I would hate going to college there more and more everyday... I'm leaning more to New York & Chicago now for Grad school. Grreat institutions and also prestigious, with nice people.

When I visit Boston later this summer in my larger Boson-Miami trip, I am really hoping to be around more respectful Bostoners. But I have low expectations for the people there. However, when I go there, I will keep an open mind and hope for the best, I'll treat it as the first time I'm going to Boston and just think of the past as a one in a million experience with bad luck.

I'm sorry, but that's just me- and my opinion.
But this is more to my point Detroit is a rustbelt city I not bashing detroit in anyway but recession or not the city has been slowly declining. Metaphorically bad climate! On the other hand recession and no recession Atlanta is a big difference. The unemployment rate is abnormally higher. Metaphorically a abnormal bad season.

Which city are families better off presently? The present is abnormal like the snow we got earlier this year. If a family came to Atlanta “or the south for that matter” during that time they would need to know how to drive in the snow, umm Atlantans can’t drive in the snow well! ) the snow was abnormal in the first place. Atlanta's unemployment rate is higher than Boston metaphorically the season is tougher, Detroit on the other hand climate is just bad. I see your point about the job market but my point is it's not normal in the first place.

Oh yeah I never said you took a shot at Atlanta, or even favor Boston for that matter. but your ****ing post is funny

Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Anyways as far as big cities go:

Boston:
Boston_0006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bysr/367654349/ - broken link)

Atlanta:
Georgia Capitol Building on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosesxan/4084009849/ - broken link)

They're both nice.
I was wondering do all state capitols of states that are ex British colonies have gold domes?

Anyways here's more of Georgia's capitol.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/...9078fdec2f.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv5720.php

Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
Iowa

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City