U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 PM

16 posts, read 31,059 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to find a place to live. It is becoming quite the task. I have lived almost everywhere in the continental US for a short amount of time so I am pretty familiar with the ups and downs of most regions (this might be part of the problem). My husband is a bicycle mechanic and I am a special education teacher, so the area would have to have both a strong school system and bicycle community. We love to be outdoors as much as possible, enjoy a wide range of cultural diversity and love 4 mild seasons. We would prefer a small/midsize area versus a large urban metropolis. Any suggestions that I have not thought of? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,745,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor22 View Post
My husband and I are trying to find a place to live. It is becoming quite the task. I have lived almost everywhere in the continental US for a short amount of time so I am pretty familiar with the ups and downs of most regions (this might be part of the problem). My husband is a bicycle mechanic and I am a special education teacher, so the area would have to have both a strong school system and bicycle community. We love to be outdoors as much as possible, enjoy a wide range of cultural diversity and love 4 mild seasons. We would prefer a small/midsize area versus a large urban metropolis. Any suggestions that I have not thought of? Thanks!
Portland, Oregon.

I personally don't like the city, but it fits all your descriptions. And it's a beautiful city (naturally).

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,277,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor22 View Post
Portland is a good suggestion, unless you consider it a "large urban metropolis" in which case Eugene, OR might be a good fit.

We don't get piles of snow or oppressive heat/humidity. Rains like hell though.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Ha, funny that P-town is what it always comes back to! I used to live there so I know the "ups and the downs". I am mainly concerned about their local school systems since it seems very difficult to get into for a teaching position. I actually love the rain, it is gentle, and milder than the storms we get where I am currently at, Chicago. I am a bit concerned about the earthquake aspect but there is no place that does not have a certain natural disaster risk to some degree.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:59 AM

Eugene, OR is a bit too "hippie-ish" for me. I have yet to ever visit without it downpouring. Portland is a perfect size, for the most part. The main concerns are a job for myself, lack of diversity and the earthquake aspect. The only reason I left Portland the last time I lived there was because of the lack of diversity. I nicknamed it "Caucasianville".

Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 AM

5,310 posts, read 5,304,084 times
I can't speak much for the West Coast, but given that you want four "mild" seasons really restricts your selection on the East Coast. I was going to recommend Philly, as it fits your seasons pretty well, but it sounds like you're not interested in large cities. Have you considered somewhere like Charlottesville, VA? It does get hot in VA, but Charlottesville is a little cooler, and you'd have the Shenandoah Mountains/Park right on your doorstep to escape the heat. The city is also smaller, and I've heard they have good school systems. It's really an amazingly beautiful city.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,133,051 times
Madison, WI might be another place to consider, although most wouldn't consider the winters to be all that mild and I guess it's in the same boat as Portland as far as diversity is concerned. However, the Madison area does have great public schools and is home to Trek bicycle company, based in nearby Waterloo. WI was also recently named the #2 bike friendliest state by the League of American Bicyclists.

League of American Bicyclists * Bicycle Friendly States Rankings

Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Syracuse might work except for Winter, which can bring it's share of snow.....Maybe Ithaca NY too.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,533,367 times
Bellingham, WA sounds like it's your type of place. Forks, WA might also work. Madison and Syracuse have severe winters.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:36 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,405,305 times
Try Princeton, NJ (although a little too developed and a bit snobby for my tastes) or near one of the shore towns in South Jersey. Personally, I'd recommend near or in Ocean City, NJ. The school system is excellent (Ocean City High School is supposed to be one of the best in the state) and during the summer there is a great demand for bicycles. Plus, the area off the island is pretty undeveloped and consists of mashes, pine, coastal, and deciduous forests, and there are many paths in the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or