Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:09 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times

Advertisements

We've lived in Atlanta and Charlotte. My husband grew up in Chicago. And, except on boards like this, we have never heard these cities compared. Each is unique and a good match for some. All have great areas and not great areas. It comes down to this - who really cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,167 times
Have lived in both, currently in Atl, have been trying to move back to Charlotte, I prefer Charlotte and as one other poster stated not a bad drive from Charlotte to Atl. I prefer Atl just for visits

Old 06-23-2010, 03:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
I'm uptown almost every day (it's Tryon, by the way, not Tyron) and have NEVER been bothered by a homeless person or seen anyone else be bothered for that matter. The only time I see Charlotte compared to Atlanta is in the cautionery tale sense, as in "Charlotte could be another Atlanta in 15 years if we don't make sure we don't (fill in horrible mistake Atlanta made, usually related to sprawl)..."

Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
I was just wondering....I bartend so I meet people all of the time...and when I tell them I moved here from Atlanta they are always trying to compare the two cities. I must say that the people who post here on the Charlotte board seem way more relaxed and at ease with their city then the people who post boards on Atlantas...lol.... I actually am just trying to get use to the slower paced life here. I have always been a big city boy living in New York and Atlanta. But you guys have made some pretty valid points....but what is wrong w/ comparing New York to Atlanta....they do call Atlanta "Little New York"...and Georgia is considered the Empire State of the South

Old 06-23-2010, 04:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
People in Charlotte are not comparing Charlotte to Atlanta when they bring up Atlanta in conversation.

They are noting the things about Atlanta we never want Charlotte to emmulate.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why don't you call and report it to PD if it is that bad?

Charlotte has about 10,000 homeless folks and most hang out uptown.
It's a 5 min walk from my car to my place of work. The police I routinely seen walking this area. Makes no difference.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
i'm uptown almost every day (it's tryon, by the way, not tyron) and have never been bothered by a homeless person or seen anyone else be bothered for that matter. The only time i see charlotte compared to atlanta is in the cautionery tale sense, as in "charlotte could be another atlanta in 15 years if we don't make sure we don't (fill in horrible mistake atlanta made, usually related to sprawl)..."
1. It was a typo.
2. Almost everyday. Period!!!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
People in Charlotte are not comparing Charlotte to Atlanta when they bring up Atlanta in conversation.

They are noting the things about Atlanta we never want Charlotte to emmulate.
That is the NIMBY attitude that is going to keep Charlotte on the same level. Atlanta isn't afraid to try new things to see if they work. Atlantic Station (a $10 Billion Eat, Work, Play MEGA DEVELOPMENT) initially was criticized b/c people wanted to put the Aquarium there along w/ museums....but 6 years later Atlantic Station is thriving and has now been incorporated as one of the must sees while in Atlanta.

City planners in Charlotte can indeed learn a lot from Atlanta's Explosive Growth. Charlotte hasn't seen the type of growth Atlanta experienced. For instance from July 1 2007 - July 1 2008 Atlanta added 1.5 million people while in the same period Charlotte only added 330,000.....that is a huge difference. Atlanta has handled it very well. Charlotte should want to emulate Atlanta...but be more smart about traffic planning and regional transportation which it seems Charlotte will do well. Lets see how you feel about Charlotte if you guys ever reach the 3 or 4 million mark which i cant fathom.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:49 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
....but what is wrong w/ comparing New York to Atlanta....they do call Atlanta "Little New York"...and Georgia is considered the Empire State of the South

Other than the fact that ATL and NYC are WORLDS apart, I guess there's nothing wrong with comparing them.

Honestly, Atlanta doesn't even come close to Chicago, let alone NYC. It's apples and oranges, regardless of what cute little nickname "they" have given a city.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
That is the NIMBY attitude that is going to keep Charlotte on the same level. Atlanta isn't afraid to try new things to see if they work. Atlantic Station (a $10 Billion Eat, Work, Play MEGA DEVELOPMENT) initially was criticized b/c people wanted to put the Aquarium there along w/ museums....but 6 years later Atlantic Station is thriving and has now been incorporated as one of the must sees while in Atlanta.

City planners in Charlotte can indeed learn a lot from Atlanta's Explosive Growth. Charlotte hasn't seen the type of growth Atlanta experienced. For instance from July 1 2007 - July 1 2008 Atlanta added 1.5 million people while in the same period Charlotte only added 330,000.....that is a huge difference. Atlanta has handled it very well. Charlotte should want to emulate Atlanta...but be more smart about traffic planning and regional transportation which it seems Charlotte will do well. Lets see how you feel about Charlotte if you guys ever reach the 3 or 4 million mark which i cant fathom.

Goody. Is it working yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City