Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
No one doesnt Charlotte is our sister city.. But there have been plenty of threads where people, from charlotte have brought Atlanta up in many discussion saying that there similar.. There is no love lost for Charlotte...
Look - I like to visit ATL on occasion and have never had a bad experieance there . . . but this sister-city thing . . . sorry. Atlanta is NOT Charlotte's sister city any more than Nashville is Charlotte's sister city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:26 PM

213 posts, read 420,891 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Who calls it that? I've never heard Atlanta be called Little New York... I even Googled it and it came back with no relevant hits.

Thsi might help

Atlanta, Georgia - The New York of The South (http://ezinearticles.com/?Atlanta,-Georgia---The-New-York-of-The-South&id=985910 - broken link)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-24-2010 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 03:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You have got to be kidding me if you think Charlotte has a worse problem with homeless people than Atlanta. Atlanta’s downtown is overrun with homeless people. They’re everywhere. And they are not the quite, keep to themselves, docile ones like you’re saying. When was the last time you were in Five Points????? Not recently I can tell. Charlotte has nothing remotely like that.
Five Points - Last week. Svenada Store. I am just telling my experience of working in Atlanta and working in Charlotte. DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONAL. I am just tired of the Charlotte (on N.Tryon) homeless being so aggressive. I am sure there are parts of Atlanta (Intown) where one would be harressed by the Homeless. It just did not happen to me. And if you read my thread, what I said was for Center City/Uptown to be so small (which it is) the homeless problem is troublesome.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'll give you Houston, you can compare ATL with Houston all you want... Chicago, San Francisco, and New York? Not a chance.

Best culture in the country? I'd pic the San Francisco Ballet and Opera over Atlanta, the Fox Theatre in St Louis, and I've never heard of the High Museum of Art but I'm guessing the De Young Museum, the Legion of Honors, the SFMOMA, and any museum in DC or NY are better.

Worlds largest aquarium does not equal best. Usually the best aquarium in America either goes to the National Aquarium in Baltimore, Ripley's Aquarium in TN or Monteray Bay Aquarium in CA. And I would also add the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago to that list.

Yey for having sucky teams in all major sports? Thrashers have 1 division championship and have never won the Stanley cup. The Braves haven't won a world series in over 15 years. The Falcons have never made it to the Superbowl. And the Hawks haven't been good since leaving St Louis.

And was also listed on Forbe's list of cities with the worst traffic! Charlotte, not on the list.

People still read the paper in print?! And actually the Sunday circulation is 400,000, which is no where close to 1 million. And with regards to film. You do know that NORTH CAROLINA is third. Wilmington NC actually has the largest television and movie production facility outside of California. Its home to the third largest sound stage in all of America, and houses the largest special effects water tank in North America.

I'm going to give best shopping in the country to New York and LA probably would win the nightlife category.

I would also put The Bechtler Museum, Carrowinds, and US Whitewater center on that list. We also have a symphony, several theatres, severel concert venues, apparently the Mills Mall is a big draw, and the largest auto fair in all of America. Oh and lets not forget the numerous state parks that are within a few hours of Charlotte as well as various other historic sites in and around Charlotte.

And why are our NATIONAL pro teams considered local and regional? The Bobcats did make it to the playoffs this year. And the Panthers have also made it to the playoffs numerous times. Besides we have amazing College basketball teams in NC, so that makes up for anything the Bobcats might be lacking. But I did not know we had a minor league rugby team... I might have to put that on my list of things to check out along with Roller derby.

Considering how many airports there are in the WORLD, thats pretty good. And I'm thankful everyday that I don't have to sit in traffic! Can you say the same in Atlanta?

There are 8 fortune 500 companies that have their headquarters in the Charlotte Metro. Thats only 2 less then Atlanta.

But lets not forget how many top schools there are in all of North Carolina that Charlotte residents can get instate tuition to.

Lets see we have NPR, country, top 40, rap, classic rock, talk radio... What exactly are we missing? I can't even comment on the newspaper one since I'm laughing so hard. But as far as films? Leatherheads, Shallow Hal, The Color Purple, Talledaga Nights, Days of Thunder, Religulous, Richie Richie, etc... all had either all or some of the movie filmed in Charlotte.

And thats a bad thing that we don't have drunks out on our streets every night? Even though I'm pretty sure you can find somewhere around town that is having a drink special any day of the week.

I'm actually thinking you don't like Charlotte... just a weird feeling I have. I don't know what is making me think that though...

There are new things opening up in Charlotte all the time too! The Hall of Fame just opened, the Bechtler just opened in January, the New Mint Museum is opening in October I think, and of course there are always different little festivals going on.... Taste of Charlotte, Restaurant Week, there is a Jazz festival this weekend (or was it last?), Speed Street, Shakespeare on the Green is going on this month and in August... and I'm sure there is a lot more I'm missing. And like I mentioned before there are other places within a few hours drive that also have a lot of things to do!

Falcons did make it too the super bowl. Atlanta is the 8th largest media MArket we need not go there with media..

So now this is NC vs Atlanta so it would take the whole state to compete with Atlanta..

PLease I am going to warn you dont let the Atlanta posters see these comments they will roast you...

Old 06-24-2010, 03:37 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thanks for posting that. I know the stats for #s of homeless in Charlotte, but frankly, I have never been "accosted" by anyone homeless and for the most part, homeless people are not about to panhandle or annoy anyone. Uptown is known for good police presence. Thanks for sharing your timely observation.
So I am lying. This is why posting here is pathetic. If you say something true (and it's perceived as negative to Charlotte) then here come the police. Wish the police were there when the homeless who sit on the steps of the Church on N. Tyron came harressing. Pathetic. For those who want to take my comments as lies and dilute them, a big screw u. And BTW - I LIKE CHARLOTTE. Very annoying posting here.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-24-2010 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Look - I like to visit ATL on occasion and have never had a bad experieance there . . . but this sister-city thing . . . sorry. Atlanta is NOT Charlotte's sister city any more than Nashville is Charlotte's sister city.
You and I know that Charlotte can not compete with Atlanta.The reason why Charlotte doesnt have any problems is because its a much smaller metro. Im sure if it grew to be Atlantas size there would be alot of problems just like Houston DC LA Chicago etc. But I see everyone here is on a rampage off one posters comments. All its going to take is for The Atlanta posters to shut this down quick and you know they will just like they have done in Other Charlotte vs Atlanta threads.. the end result will be a closed thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Spoiler
Quote:
Falcons did make it too the super bowl. Atlanta is the 8th largest media MArket we need not go there with media..

So now this is NC vs Atlanta so it would take the whole state to compete with Atlanta..

PLease I am going to warn you dont let the Atlanta posters see these comments they will roast you...

Again . . . why do you keep on with the "compete" thing? Atlanta is Atlanta and loved/not loved for what Atlanta is or isn't. That has nothing to do with Charlotte.

Atlanta could just as well be compared to Miami - it would make as much (or little) sense as comparing ATL to CLT.

Not only that . . . NC and GA are very different states.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-24-2010 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You and I know that Charlotte can not compete with Atlanta.The reason why Charlotte doesnt have any problems is because its a much smaller metro. Im sure if it grew to be Atlantas size there would be alot of problems just like Houston DC LA Chicago etc. But I see everyone here is on a rampage off one posters comments. All its going to take is for The Atlanta posters to shut this down quick and you know they will just like they have done in Other Charlotte vs Atlanta threads.. the end result will be a closed thread
I think Charlotte has a lot of problems without compariing it to any other city, lol. And Charlotte has a lot of things going for it.

Unless you are planning on relocating a business here, why would you care?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:55 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Spoiler
Quote:

LOL

Oh no.....The Atlanta forum will beat you up!!! LMAO what a joke these two are. It will be nice when school starts back and these kids can get back to junior high.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-24-2010 at 05:18 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
So I am lying. This is why posting here is pathetic. If you say something true (and it's perceived as negative to Charlotte) then here come the police. Wish the police were there when the homeless who sit on the steps of the Church on N. Tyron came harressing. Pathetic. For those who want to take my comments as lies and dilute them, a big screw u. And BTW - I LIKE CHARLOTTE. Very annoying posting here.
Geeezz. No one said you are lying. Maybe it was the time of day you were there. Or maybe it was the weather. Or maybe homeless folks thought you looked like a sympathetic person to hit up for a buck. I don't doubt you encountered some aggressive folks or you would not have mentioned it. However, I don't think this is the norm, as in, all people are daily accosted by homeless folks.

I also think a point you made in a different post - about the size of the area and the high # of homeless folks in one area - is valid.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-24-2010 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City