Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That really isn't true...
Yeah....it kinda is true. I live here and have many friends and co-workers in the area. Never does the comparison of CLT and ATL come up. The O.P. stated that he constantly hears people in his bar comparing the two, while several of us locals said we don't hear the comparison. Nor do we hear a large number of people in the CLT area comparing the two. Sure, it comes up extremely rarely in local media when discussing growth or development, but as a whole, Charlotteans couldn't care less overall. That is why we live in Charlotte, and not Atlanta.

Quote:
It certainly isn't a knock on Charlotte, but it's just a common fact.
Thanks for the reassurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 PM

123 posts, read 157,624 times
How can someone make broad statement saying everyone does or doesn't compare Charlotte to Atlanta niether the OP or u can make such a broad statement because u guys don't know who is talking about what in a city of 700,000. Your speaking for a entire city Based off a small group of people u guys know..

By the way there plenty of people( not all) that are talking about the A in Charlotte. There in Atlanta on the weekends..shopping and partying.. It's a weekend getaway for them. Especially the gays ask the AA gays in Charlotte where are they going to be on labor day weekend..?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezMugler View Post
CHarlotte does have alot of transplants from NJ and NYC.I think Atlanta has them from PHILLY NJ DC CHI NYC and Detroit there are alot of these people from these places in Atlanta..
Actually you are right Atlanta is the #1 relocation destination for New Yorkers in America:

40,000 New Yorkers Flee State for Atlanta - July 11, 2008 - The New York Sun

Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezMugler View Post
How can someone make broad statement saying everyone does or doesn't compare Charlotte to Atlanta niether the OP or u can make such a broad statement because u guys don't know who is talking about what in a city of 700,000. Your speaking for a entire city Based off a small group of people u guys know..

By the way there plenty of people( not all) that are talking about the A in Charlotte. There in Atlanta on the weekends..shopping and partying.. It's a weekend getaway for them. Especially the gays ask the AA gays in Charlotte where are they going to be on labor day weekend..?
Thank you...it's so funny when people make statements like "everybody says this" or "no one is talking about this". It's not like anyone truly knows what people in Charlotte are talking about and I can't say for sure that there are lots of comparisons made to Atlanta, but it's only logical to conclude that an up-and-coming city like Charlotte would look to it's world-class neighbor for comparisons. On that same note, I'm fairly sure that the other N.C. cities constantly compare themselves to Charlotte because it's the big dog in that state - it's only natural.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Thank you...it's so funny when people make statements like "everybody says this" or "no one is talking about this". It's not like anyone truly knows what people in Charlotte are talking about and I can't say for sure that there are lots of comparisons made to Atlanta, but it's only logical to conclude that an up-and-coming city like Charlotte would look to it's world-class neighbor for comparisons. On that same note, I'm fairly sure that the other N.C. cities constantly compare themselves to Charlotte because it's the big dog in that state - it's only natural.
Pretty much.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM

937 posts, read 927,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I find this point of view fascinating. Now I love Atlanta dearly (and will actually be moving to the area next month), but it's very hard for me to understand how someone can say this about Charlotte but not Atlanta. You've got to be consistent in your reasoning because both cities hit their growth spurt in the age of the automobile and neither has the old school urban density of their counterparts in the north. So if, in your view, Charlotte is just a giant suburb with tall buildings in the middle, then Atlanta must feel like a humongous suburb with tall buildings scattered throughout. At any rate, I usually find that this perspective comes from those who really aren't familiar with Charlotte anyway.
Well, when you take a stance like that of course it's going to sound that way. Atlanta's actually city is quite urban and pretty dense. Charlotte's is a lot smaller and its city bounds are so much further out than Atlanta's.
Atlanta can feel like a giant suburb with tall buildings if you live on the outskirts but the inner city is definitively urban and the infill is almost to all of it's borders. Charlotte on the other hand does have an urban core, but it's very small compared to the outlying land outside the rest of it that's still legally considered Charlotte.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Well, when you take a stance like that of course it's going to sound that way. Atlanta's actually city is quite urban and pretty dense. Charlotte's is a lot smaller and its city bounds are so much further out than Atlanta's.
Atlanta can feel like a giant suburb with tall buildings if you live on the outskirts but the inner city is definitively urban and the infill is almost to all of it's borders. Charlotte on the other hand does have an urban core, but it's very small compared to the outlying land outside the rest of it that's still legally considered Charlotte.
Come on dude, let's be real here; people take "on the ground" facts over "on paper" facts any day when it comes to this. The average person doesn't break out a map and say, "Oh well let me see where the municipal boundaries end to determine how 'urban' this city is." People judge the entire area by the inner core relative to its sprawl, and in that regard, Atlanta isn't much different than Charlotte at all as both have relatively small, less dense cores (compared with their northern counterparts) surrounded by lots of sprawl. Atlanta's core is a bit denser, but it's also surrounded by a lot more sprawl. Based on your reasoning, I suppose you'd go around saying that Atlanta's core is more urban than Kansas City's based on the "paper" facts, when anyone who's experienced both "on the ground" would definitely have a different opinion.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually you are right Atlanta is the #1 relocation destination for New Yorkers in America:

40,000 New Yorkers Flee State for Atlanta - July 11, 2008 - The New York Sun
From what i see most regret moving there.

And charlotte could easily see atlanta if it goes through a building boom for the next 15 years or so. Just like 10 years ago people didnt know s..t about a Atlanta. The A is not that serious to where it would take other city's decades upon decades to catch up too

Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
I do think that Atlanta is ahead of Charlotte in population, international and national prominence, and many other aspects, but I don't see how it's impossible for it to at least be on the same rank in two decades. There are cities that rise up in even one decade. I think the point is that anything can happen. With that said, I doubt Atlanta will decline any time soon.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:25 PM

123 posts, read 157,624 times
The Core of Atlanta is alot more developed and densed than Charlottes. Now compared to the North like you said both are less dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City