Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 02:36 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,896,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Serously? NYC and LA

see this is where the forum goes nuts, for whatever reason Atl posters have a significantly loftier perception of their city than anyone else does.
Where did he say it was on par or better than NYC and LA in regards to media?
This is what drives Atlanta forumers nuts: Other people thinking that saying something positive about Atlanta or something it leads in is akin to saying it's the best at it (unless we really are).

Quote:
Media? Really up there with NY, up there with LA? please dont tell me CNN and the weather channel
Obviously NYC and LA are the top media cities in America. After that it's Miami and Atlanta. And yes, it's more than "just" CNN and the Weather channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 PM

475 posts, read 679,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Agreed, but I will say that Atlanta is up there with those cities from a media standpoint.
And they are all Top Ten metros in the country - a natural dilineation for comparison.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Where did he say it was on par or better than NYC and LA in regards to media?
This is what drives Atlanta forumers nuts: Other people thinking that saying something positive about Atlanta or something it leads in is akin to saying it's the best at it (unless we really are).

Did you read the post?

"Agreed, but I will say that Atlanta is up there with those cities from a media standpoint."

in response to this with regards to the bolded

"I think this is spot on. Although IMO, Comparing ATL to Chicago, NYC, LA, and SF is also out the question. However from then on I would consider a comparison fair game. Some ATL boosters put ATL in the same league as those cities I just mentioned, or so it appears. Which is fine, I would assume some think I do the same for Charlotte."

Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Did you read the post?

"Agreed, but I will say that Atlanta is up there with those cities from a media standpoint."

in response to this with regards to the bolded

"I think this is spot on. Although IMO, Comparing ATL to Chicago, NYC, LA, and SF is also out the question. However from then on I would consider a comparison fair game. Some ATL boosters put ATL in the same league as those cities I just mentioned, or so it appears. Which is fine, I would assume some think I do the same for Charlotte."

Name one instance where anyone has seriously put Atlanta on the same level of those cities. But like another post said below, Atlanta is a top 10 American city, so comparisons with other top 10 american cities is only natural.

For the record, I don't think there is anything wrong with comparing Charlotte to Atlanta. Despite the claims of some people on this thread, Charlotte is making very similar moves to move up it's status that Atlanta did 30 or 40 years ago.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:58 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Name one instance where anyone has seriously put Atlanta on the same level of those cities. But like another post said below, Atlanta is a top 10 American city, so comparisons with other top 10 american cities is only natural.

For the record, I don't think there is anything wrong with comparing Charlotte to Atlanta. Despite the claims of some people on this thread, Charlotte is making very similar moves to move up it's status that Atlanta did 30 or 40 years ago.

I thought I just did, was that not serious?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
Last warning - stop the bickering and simply discuss the topic.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I thought I just did, was that not serious?
You could make that comparison if you want, but I wouldn't agree with it.

NYC, LA and Chicago are so far and way ahead of the other 7 cities in the top 10 that it's only worth comparing them on minor things or similarities at best. Despite what seems to be the general consensus on this board, the other 7 are a lot more equal when all things are balanced out. I guess that's why some threads get so brutal.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 PM

54 posts, read 172,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I have never heard this argument when I lived in Atlanta. But now that I live here in Charlotte I hear it all the time. Honestly there is NO COMPARISON!!! Atlanta is a top world performer with cities like Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc.

Here are actual statistics as of today (June 23, 2010)

Atlanta:

Population: 5.8 million (7th largest Metro)

Home to some of the best culture in the country Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Ballet, Atlanta Opera, Fox Theater, High Museum of Art to name a FEW

Over 37 million visitors annually. An array of attractions including Stone Mountain, World of Coca Cola, GA Aquarium (the largest in the WOLRD), Martin Luther King Jr. Center, including festivals EVERY WEEKEND from the end of April until early September

A presence in ALL FOUR MAJOR SPORTS..... Atlanta Hawks, Thrashers, Braves and Falcons....also WNBA THe Dream, Silverbacks (Mens Soccer) Beat (Womens Soccer) and other minor league teams.

One of 8 US cities considered a Beta World City...fourth for Fortune 500 Companies after NYC, Houston and Dallas. District headquarters for the Federal Reserve. Home of Biotechnology. CDC. Home to many WORLD HEADQUARTERS.

30 colleges/institutions Including heavyweights Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Emory, Morehouse, Spelman.

World's BUSIEST airport. Home of Delta and AirTran. A COMPLETED "beltway" with at least 4 lanes all around. Up to 8 lanes in more dense areas. (IE Perimeter area). 7th busiest transit system in America.

Multiple choices between select radio styles, a MAJOR newspaper w/ a Sunday circulation of just under 1,000,000. A MAJOR MUSIC INDUSTRY. Currently 6 of the top 10 songs in America have ATLANTA production ties. A BOOMING FILM INDUSTRY third after only the obvious first two.

Some of the best nightlife, shopping (lenox sq, phipps, atlantic station, northpoint, buckhead, midtown, little 5 etc) and restaurants in the country.

Now let's take a look at NC's Jewel CIty.....no not Raleigh, but Charlotte

Charlotte, NC:

Population: 2.3 million (23 largest metro and what Atlanta was at in 1980)

No cultural identity unless you like NASCAR.

No statistics for tourism b/c Charlotte isn't a known DESTINATION but a pass thru. No notable MAJOR TOURIST attractions except NASCAR Hall of Fame and Discovery Museum.

A local presence in ONE professional team Charlotte Bobcats and a REGIONAL presence in ONE professional team Carolina Panthers. Home to other minor leagues such as Rugby, Baseball, ICE HOCKEY, and Soccer.

9th busiest airport in the WORLD. Charlotte's beltway isn't completed and for 76% only has two lanes. LYNX light rail....couldn't even compare to the lightrail run by Atlanta's airport alone.

Economy is ONLY driven by Banking and NASCAR...no WORLD HEADQUARTERS for any international company. Major hub for trucking and freight.

Notable colleges include UNC-Charlotte, Johnson & Wales, Johnson C. Smith and Davidson College.

Very limited radio selections. Charlotte Observer is comparable to UNC-Charlottes newspaper. No major movie productions or music production companies.

Nightlife does exist but will get stale after a month. Nothing exciting or innovative about any of the venues. Except for Butter...but where is the variety. Not a party town (Ie can't party ever night if you'd like).

Atlanta is a major city and it is an insult to compare Charlotte to this great city. Atlanta is WAY more advanced and light years ahead of Charlotte. Charlotte is a great city don't get me wrong, but a MAJOR DESTINATION it is not. Charlotte is better compared to NC's other regions and Richmond, VA and Nashville, TN.

Charlotte does have a lot going for it but after a year of living here you would have done everything there is to do. Atlanta is ALWAYS emerging and has something different to do every weekend of the year.
Well this isn't a biased thread at all

Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 PM

647 posts, read 1,416,443 times
Quote:
Serously? NYC and LA

see this is where the forum goes nuts, for whatever reason Atl posters have a significantly loftier perception of their city than anyone else does.

Media? Really up there with NY, up there with LA? please dont tell me CNN and the weather channel
I didn't say they were on the same level as NY and LA. Like another poster stated, it's NY, LA, then Miami/Atlanta. I don't understand why some people have no problem mentioning Miami in the same breath as NY/LA, but when you throw in Atlanta, all hell breaks loose. Miami and Atlanta are virtually the same size and of similar importance if you ask me. They are two very different cities though.

Back to the topic. I don't mind people comparing Charlotte to Atlanta. It only bother me when people say dumb stuff like Charlotte will catch Atlanta in 15 years. These People need to understand that this is not a Dallas vs Houston type of situation. If Charlotte is going to catch Atlanta in 15 years, then Atlanta will catch Chicago in the same amount of time. Sounds dumb right? To add to this, ATL is much closer to Chicago in Metro population than Charlotte is to Atlanta. I challenge anybody to list facts as to how Charlotte will catch present day Atlanta population wise or skyscraper wise in anything less than 30 years. I'm not bashing Charlotte. I'm from NC and like the city. I'm just being real about the situation.

Last edited by bgNCATL; 08-20-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,658,020 times
I'm late to this thread but want to interject my own anecdotal experiences into the topic discussion.
Beginning in 1979, shortly after I first moved to Atlanta from the midwest, I began to regularly visit Charlotte 3 or 4 times a year. I had 2 good friends living there so I made trips up to see them for years thereafter.
It did not take long for me to realize that they had a "beat Atlanta" thing going & that many of their friends did too. As a newcomer to the southeast, I was totally unacquainted with both Atlanta & Charlotte & any respective rivalries or back history between the cities.
The "beat Atlanta" meme was manifested repeatedly in their game of Charlotte versus Atlanta one-upsmanship. I would get it thrown in my face from them in person, or their guests, at the many social events they hosted that I attended or even in the form of a phone call that they would make to me in Atlanta. Usually the topic had to do with Charlotte beating out Atlanta in some aspect or in the claim that went something like, "All we need to be just like Atlanta is to have pro sports teams". All too often they would additionally give me the same rejoinder of, "Oh, of course we would never want to be like Atlanta."
Often their information seem to be derived from Charlotte media reports which I began to think also spent an inordinate amount of time playing the one-upsmanship game too, given that my friends were always too glad to let me know of the latest news that they had heard about the various warts on the face of Atlanta.
In the 1990's I had a co-worker whose son left suburban Atlanta to attend school at NCSU in Raleigh. After he came home to Atlanta for his first visit from school, she mentioned to me that he had said to her, "What is it with the people up there and their "thing" about Atlanta?"
I will tell you all here that the people in Atlanta don't sit and worry about Charlotte or any other city.
And despite the claims of one poster who mentioned that he had heard an Atlantan refer to Atlanta as "Little New York", much to the amusement of some of you on this thread, I have never ever in my 31 years in Atlanta heard anyone here make that claim or comparison.
Finally, despite another poster who, every time he or she commented here from a Charlotte point of view always included the phrase,"..we just don't care.", my experience has been anything but that. I NEVER made a trip to the Queen City wherein someone did not get in my face & want to play the rivalry game.
This is not meant to be a mean-spirited knock on Charlotte but just a recollection of my own experiences. My friends are long deceased unfortunately so perhaps things have changed. One can only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City