Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You lost me on the "regional team" thing for the Panthers, though. Is it simply because they are not named the Charlotte Panthers? The stadium is here, their practice field is here. How much more can a team belong to a city? So the Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Golden State Warriors, Texas Rangers, Florida Marlins, etc are all "regional" teams just because they aren't named after a speficic city?
Exactly those teams are defined as REGIONAL teams. Just as the US Soccer teams represents the entire US....those teams w/o a specific city in their names are indeed called REGIONAL teams. This is fact **A professional sports team (even though they may place a team w/in a certain city...ie Panthers in Charlotte) the basis of giving a TEAM a REGIONAL name stems from the perception that the city itself can't support another team but is a REGIONAL "epicenter" if you will. From a marketing standpoint it will allow a team (Panthers) to appeal to a much larger fanbase (the Carolinas) then just the city itself (Charlotte) where they the city is already over saturated and can't support a stand alone team.

Yes I am a newbie to Charlotte...and if you perceive my post as being a Charlotte bashing post then that's your perception. I have been to Charlotte many times b/c I lived in Durham for three years from 96-99...so I have seen Charlotte grow somewhat. But in the same breathe having come from Atlanta where there is something for everyone...white gays, black gays, trannys lol...old people young people...young professionals (white and black) older professionals (white and black) singles, couples, families, jewish, hindu, mexican, puerto rican...etc etc.... I dont see how the people I HAVE ENCOUNTERED can compare Charlotte to Atlanta b/c I MY OPINION there isn't any. So I stated facts ALTHOUGH FROM A BIAS STANDPOINT but nonetheless they were facts w/ STATISTICAL backing.

Also like I have said...I think Charlotte is a NICE city...otherwise I wouldn't have moved here....but a MAJOR cutting edge, fast paced, EXCITING city it is not...POINT BLANNK.......(drops mic.....feedback heard.....walks off stage.....crowd goes WILD)
: can't we all just get along....we live in the same city.....do I need to buy u guys a round?!?!?

Last edited by ajjam; 06-25-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
How many times will you "prove your point?" Is it that seriously dramatic to you? Tell you what......get in touch with an advertising firm and put together some really great billboards stating that Atlanta is bigger, better, and more awesome than Charlotte. Go even further and go on the morning talk shows and explain your theory. People will be intrigued. No, SERIOUSLY! People will LOVE to see and hear it. You coming in here and arguing passionately about how great Atlanta is, is like someone from Brooklyn moving to College Park and going around talking about how awesome New York is and how Atlanta doesn't even come close. Sounds pretty moronic, huh? I'm sure Atlanta folks couldn't care less. People may compare the two cities just to see you get red in the face. Move on.

No, really. Move on. We get it, and anyone that has been to both cities for any period of time GETS IT. Apparently you don't. It's no big deal to the rest of us. I love living in our little town of Charlotte. Itty Bitty, nowhere close to the sophistication of ATL. Not even close to your level of sophistication, you big city, urbanite you. Yaaaay.

Just as long as you know!!! I've done my job...thanks for reading my posts

Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I think that most folks agree with you - Charlotte is no more or less "like" Atlanta than is Dallas or Kansas City or Cincinnati or Miami.

That is why this is a silly discussion.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think that most folks agree with you - Charlotte is no more or less "like" Atlanta than is Dallas or Kansas City or Cincinnati or Miami.

That is why this is a silly discussion.

He just cannot seem to comprehend that we don't WANT to be like Atlanta As though Atlanta is the be all and end all of great cities

Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times
LOL

Little New York.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
He just cannot seem to comprehend that we don't WANT to be like Atlanta As though Atlanta is the be all and end all of great cities
I think some folks move here and want the city to transform itself into where they used to live. Having moved around, it doesn't work that way. Solution? Visit the cities you love and enjoy them while you are there.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM

385 posts, read 890,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
......just not on par with Atlanta......
We definately aren't on par with Atlanta. We can't even begin to produce something on par with The Real Housewives of Atlanta!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,833 times
LOL, all I can say is PLEASE TELL ME THIS OP LIVES IN THE CITY. I am moving to the country to get away from all the chaos in Miami/Ft Lauderdale and pray I dont run into folks like this anymore. Moving to NC is like a breath of fresh air and I seriously hope it never becomes Atlanta.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
We definately aren't on par with Atlanta. We can't even begin to produce something on par with The Real Housewives of Atlanta!
See I have not once bashed Charlotte....but hey Atlanta has about 20 TV shows filmed or based in Atlanta...Charlotte......DOUGHNUT

Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
See I have not once bashed Charlotte....but hey Atlanta has about 20 TV shows filmed or based in Atlanta...Charlotte......DOUGHNUT
We don't care, we really don't.

Yay for Atlanta, they have tv shows filmed there That's really such a big deal to you?

I'm GRATEFUL that Hollyweird is filming THERE and not HERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City