U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Birmingham, Alabama 24 40.00%
Richmond, Virginia 36 60.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,380,011 times

Advertisements

Out of these cities, which has the better amenities?? Which would you rather live in?? Make sure to include the following to make your decision:

Better housing costs
Better schools and universities
Better museums
Better scenery
Close proximity to other cities
Better restaurants
Better shopping
Better public transportation
Better parks
Better events
Better nightlife
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,613,791 times
My sister lives in Birmingham, but I would probably rather live in Richmond because of it's close proximity to other places. People always tend to give Birmingham a bad rap, but it's really not that bad IMO. I don't know about events in Richmond, but Birmingham is slow in that category. Fortunately things don't shut down in Birmingham at 2:00AM like in many other northern cities that I've visited. I would assume the cost of living is less in Birmingham than Richmond. I've only visited Richmond once, and I'm sure it's changed significantly since that time. Neither skyline is particularly impressive to me, but I think Birmingham's skyline is more modern and arguably has more character than that of Richmond.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 PM

12,204 posts, read 17,577,064 times
What time does things close down in Birmingham?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:15 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,780,093 times
hard to decide, close competition, I will need to sleep on this one.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:14 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,853,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
Neither skyline is particularly impressive to me, but I think Birmingham's skyline is more modern and arguably has more character than that of Richmond.
Really? I think they may be neck and neck in the character category, with Richmond having a slight edge since it's an older city (Birmingham didn't even exist during the time of the Civil War).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/...3e38b52b_o.jpg

I also think Richmond has more modern buildings in its skyline than Birmingham.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/...0b623cfa_b.jpg

As far as this thread goes, I have nothing against Birmingham (think it can be underrated in some regards actually), but I prefer Richmond. It seems to be more progressive than Birmingham and has a higher business profile (although I don't think Richmond has a university the caliber of UAB). Richmond has urban falls on the St. James River, great urban districts (e.g., the Fan, Shockoe Bottom, etc.), and proximity to larger metros like Hampton Roads and DC.

At any rate, this is a good matchup. Both cities are alike in many ways, as they are roughly the same size and have some image problems that are in some ways justified and in some ways not.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
What time does things close down in Birmingham?
Some clubs in Birmingham don't shut their doors until between 4-5AM. Clubs in Birmingham stay open later than big sister Atlanta which shuts down at 3:00AM which a lot of people probably don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I also think Richmond has more modern buildings in its skyline than Birmingham.
This one is very close. Most images of downtown Birmingham don't really reflect this, but the skyline is separated into two clusters; the older historic district that people are probably more familiar with via civil rights footage, and the more modern cluster a bit further north. That's probably why Birmingham looks more modern to me because the newer architecture is separated from the rest. Richmond looks nice in those pics, but overall I still think Birmingham looks more modern in person unless things have changed in Richmond since I last visited. All things considered, I would still choose Richmond over Birmingham because of it's location, but that's the only reason why.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,876,963 times
Quote:
Some clubs in Birmingham don't shut their doors until between 4-5AM. Clubs in Birmingham stay open later than big sister Atlanta which shuts down at 3:00AM which a lot of people probably don't know.

This one is very close. Most images of downtown Birmingham don't really reflect this, but the skyline is separated into two clusters; the older historic district that people are probably more familiar with via civil rights footage, and the more modern cluster a bit further north. That's probably why Birmingham looks more modern to me because the newer architecture is separated from the rest. Richmond looks nice in those pics, but overall I still think Birmingham looks more modern in person unless things have changed in Richmond since I last visited. All things considered, I would still choose Richmond over Birmingham because of it's location, but that's the only reason why.
The view of downtown BHam from the Vulcan is

Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The view of downtown BHam from the Vulcan is
from Vulcan, everything sort of blends together to me but if you view Birmingham's skyline from 65N, you'll see the separation much more clearly.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:46 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,876,963 times
Quote:
from Vulcan, everything sort of blends together to me but if you view Birmingham's skyline from 65N, you'll see the separation much more clearly.
I know what you mean. It's like the newer buildings are clustered to the NW corner of the CBD. That view though is nice at night. The ride down I-65 headed towards Hoover is impressive in itself.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I know what you mean. It's like the newer buildings are clustered to the NW corner of the CBD. That view though is nice at night. The ride down I-65 headed towards Hoover is impressive in itself.
Yes, I agree. The "Ham" can hold it's own-lol. Downtown Birmingham is especially pretty at night when you can really see all of the businesses atop Red Mountain illuminated with Vulcan overlooking everything. It's pretty enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City