Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:37 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,558 times

Advertisements

A few months ago, I posted a thread on which region has more of an inferiority complex: the Coasts or the Midwest? Now, I'm asking which region has a SUPERIORITY complex. The East Coast or the West Coast? There's debate here on CD that people from the East Coast think they're better than everyone else, and people think people on the West Coast are too Hollywood or image conscious. So, what do you think?

Here's the link to my previous thread:
Which Region Has the Bigger Complex? The Coasts or The Midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:56 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,165 times
I think they just have a "don't care" about the rest of the US mentality vs. a superiority complex. They just don't care about what happens in Indiana or Nebraska except during election time. Perhaps people see that as a superiority complex..... or is it because they have an inferiority complex?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I think they just have a "don't care" about the rest of the US mentality vs. a superiority complex. They just don't care about what happens in Indiana or Nebraska except during election time. Perhaps people see that as a superiority complex..... or is it because they have an inferiority complex?
Yeah, there are some who have a "don't care" attitude, but you do have some that have that "I'm better than you and I know it" mentality as well. There's a difference, having a "don't care" attitude means you're focused on you and your city having a superiority complex is when you try to go out of your way to make yourself feel superior to someone, and you put that person or city down to make yourself or your city look good. But, then they want everybody else to care when something happens in their city.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:25 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Yeah, there are some who have a "don't care" attitude, but you do have some that have that "I'm better than you and I know it" mentality as well. There's a difference, having a "don't care" attitude means you're focused on you and your city having a superiority complex is when you try to go out of your way to make yourself feel superior to someone, and you put that person or city down to make yourself or your city look good. But, then they want everybody else to care when something happens in their city.
I get what your saying but unless there is a conversation going on, noone goes out of their way to say "Hey, I live in NYC so I'm better then you!". This is usually in context to something. Call me whatever but I would agree NYC is a superior city to Saint Louis so depending what the topic at hand is it would make sense. This doesn't mean the person is better, I'm speaking specifically from a city perspective.

But based on your definition above, I would think the East Coast would be more so then West Coast. West is too laid back and relaxed to care as much. This is my assessment from having lived in both Coasts.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:26 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,334 times
People on the coasts definitely care about what happens in the rest of the nation. I said this before on this forum but whenever I visited th Northeast (mostly New England but less o around Philadelphia) or West Coast (Coastal California and Puget Sound), people would bring up Texas in conversation at least a handful of times a week even without knowing I was from Texas, or me bringing up Texas to start with-many times, my host would just smile, give the person a look, and say I am from Texas. A handful of times a week may not be much but it is much more than I ever hear about any other state in Texas, except for neighboring Louisiana and Oklahoma. And even then, it is less about what is happening there and more about family there or a trip/vacation there.

Anyway, I think the West Coast has a larger superiority complex. Both coasts have a similar superiority complex towards the Midwest, South, and Intermountain West, but the West Coast also has an outsized superiority complex towards the East Coast.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:46 PM

822 posts, read 856,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Does any region really care about another?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 PM

591 posts, read 819,559 times
From what I've seen and heard, people on the West Coast truly believe they are living in the best region (I've spent significant time in all 5 major cities along the coast). It's a combination of the scenery, successful economies, influx of transplants (not really a good thing), lower crime rates, mild weather, laid back attitude, and progressive politics (meh).

And to be honest, there just isn't that much talk of other cities in other regions that I've noticed (outside of sports, travel plans, or news)

Old 01-08-2018, 05:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
The West Coast.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:25 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
From what I've seen on this forum, it's definitely the East Coast. In real life, it's more of a wash.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
From what I've seen and heard, people on the West Coast truly believe they are living in the best region (I've spent significant time in all 5 major cities along the coast). It's a combination of the scenery, successful economies, influx of transplants (not really a good thing), lower crime rates, mild weather, laid back attitude, and progressive politics (meh).

And to be honest, there just isn't that much talk of other cities in other regions that I've noticed (outside of sports, travel plans, or news)
I always look at those 5, LV and Phoenix as just one contiguous region. It's like it's one state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City