Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you want to govern the Golden State?
Los Angeles: City of Angels, Entertainment Capital of the World 6 6.98%
San Francisco: The City by the Bay, Paris of the West 15 17.44%
San Diego: Americas Finest City, City in Motion 7 8.14%
San Jose: The Capital of Silicon Valley 6 6.98%
Oakland: Bright Side of the Bay 3 3.49%
Long Beach: The International City 2 2.33%
Santa Cruz: Surf City 0 0%
Fresno.. 2 2.33%
Other: List why 3 3.49%
Keep Sacramento 42 48.84%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,788,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
not you. the person up there bashing San diego.
I bashed SD? I'm sorry, SD has the best public transportation in the nation!! SD doesn't have ANY flaws!!

I was showing my love for Sactown and you used the rolleyes and hand smilies as if I was an idiot for liking Sactown so much. (That right there is actual bashing) Some of you homers need to buck up and keep an open mind...

I mean seriously??:
"San Diego: Americas Finest City, City in Motion"

Who says? YOU!
2 votes for SD from 2 people from SD... Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,460,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I bashed SD? I'm sorry, SD has the best public transportation in the nation!! SD doesn't have ANY flaws!!

I was showing my love for Sactown and you used the rolleyes and hand smilies as if I was an idiot for liking Sactown so much. (That right there is actual bashing) Some of you homers need to buck up and keep an open mind...

I mean seriously??:

Who says? YOU!
Yeah I second this. I don't see how you were bashing it at all. I think he was a being a bit too sensitive on this one. If he wants to call out someone from outside of CA for bashing it, he really chose one of the last people on here that anyone should be accusing of that. You just gave love to one place and he got touchy b/c it wasn't the one he was favoring.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:22 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,358,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

I mean seriously??:

Who says? YOU!
I think caliguy19 is a little shell shock from all the bashing California routinely gets and may be reacting a little; but he's cool!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:54 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,806,859 times
Ciudad de México.
Ha.

Actually, I voted to keep Sacramento. That city has nothing else going for it, so it kind of needs the influence that being the capital brings to it...

Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,155,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think caliguy19 is a little shell shock from all the bashing California routinely gets and may be reacting a little; but he's cool!
yes. THIS.

also, I never said SD has america's best transportation. In fact, I don't even know where the "city in motion" slogan even came from. I haven't even heard it until now. America's Finest City has always been the slogan and I agree. Compared to every other city, the climate, people, activities etc are what make it the "finest". anyway i'm not up to debate. let's get back to the topic at hand.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,788,011 times
Quote:
yes. THIS.

also, I never said SD has america's best transportation. In fact, I don't even know where the "city in motion" slogan even came from. I haven't even heard it until now. America's Finest City has always been the slogan and I agree. Compared to every other city, the climate, people, activities etc are what make it the "finest". anyway i'm not up to debate. let's get back to the topic at hand.
Well when I said it didn't have good public transportation I never said it had the worst public trans. I just thought that "A City In Motion" comment was pulled out of thin air by the SD homer. I would of never even mentioned SD's transportation if he wouldn't of disrespectfully quotted my thoughts on Sactown. You shouldn't of took offense, SD is a fine city.

I wouldn't even be a valid basher of SD since I've never been there, and even if I did hate it (I don't) I'd keep to myself. Like Jman said, I would never go out of the way and bash a city, I will always speak the truth, but that's if its obviously agreeable and ironic (and usually it's only when someone bashes my views).

So I'll take California Sur's word for it and I apologize for any mis-understandings.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:57 AM

979 posts, read 2,088,834 times
I'm not really a fan of hypothetical threads... no one is pushing to move the capital from Sacramento.

Anyway, I was born and raised in City of Sacramento, moved to SF four years ago, and I think the capital should remain in the "City of Trees", Sacramento's nickname. Like some of you guys mention the capital should not involve politics with economics. The capital in SF or LA is not a good idea and would only lead to resentment - "Oh we're better because we are the capital of the Golden State".

What makes Sacramento a fine capital is its location - 1 1/2 hour drive to the Bay Area, 2 hours to the mountains, Lake Tahoe, 4 hours to Yosemite. Plus its central for those who live and represent Upstate California i.e. Eureka, Redding, Chico, etc.

Sacramento, and not to be bias here, but its a nice city. It's not pretentious or flamboyant. Sacramento is the quintessential California City. Not to big, not to small, middle class people, democrats and republicans. Also it is in the central valley, the fruit basket of the world. The Central Valley runs the state's economy. A lot of people bash the CV because it is a dull and hot place to live in but in reality the CV agriculture powers the economy here.

With Sacramento being the capital city, it gives it a distinction from other CV cities. Sacramento is not LA or SF or SD, it's hard to compare it to those world class cities. But it is not Fresno nor Bakersfield - no offense. Sacramento has decent nightlife, culture, and art scene, because of its position its in. It is a city of contrast, modern high-rises tower beneath old churches and buildings dating back to the Gold Rush. It is a city with a deep railroad history. One of the things I love about Sacramento is the tree-lined streets and its rivers, the Sacramento and the American.

Sacramento should continue to represent our fine (dysfunctional) State.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,323,897 times
Monterey

Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,213,833 times
Quote:
I know you said it should be more central but if it was in SoCal then I choose Palm Springs!
If it moved to socal, then nocal would go ahead with one of those long line of plans to split the state. So it would be the capital of socal. Might not be a bad choice for that.

If the capital isn't in the middle one end of the state or the other will assume they will get the short end of the stick automatically.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:01 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,358,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I'm not really a fan of hypothetical threads... no one is pushing to move the capital from Sacramento.

Anyway, I was born and raised in City of Sacramento, moved to SF four years ago, and I think the capital should remain in the "City of Trees", Sacramento's nickname. Like some of you guys mention the capital should not involve politics with economics. The capital in SF or LA is not a good idea and would only lead to resentment - "Oh we're better because we are the capital of the Golden State".

What makes Sacramento a fine capital is its location - 1 1/2 hour drive to the Bay Area, 2 hours to the mountains, Lake Tahoe, 4 hours to Yosemite. Plus its central for those who live and represent Upstate California i.e. Eureka, Redding, Chico, etc.

Sacramento, and not to be bias here, but its a nice city. It's not pretentious or flamboyant. Sacramento is the quintessential California City. Not to big, not to small, middle class people, democrats and republicans. Also it is in the central valley, the fruit basket of the world. The Central Valley runs the state's economy. A lot of people bash the CV because it is a dull and hot place to live in but in reality the CV agriculture powers the economy here.

With Sacramento being the capital city, it gives it a distinction from other CV cities. Sacramento is not LA or SF or SD, it's hard to compare it to those world class cities. But it is not Fresno nor Bakersfield - no offense. Sacramento has decent nightlife, culture, and art scene, because of its position its in. It is a city of contrast, modern high-rises tower beneath old churches and buildings dating back to the Gold Rush. It is a city with a deep railroad history. One of the things I love about Sacramento is the tree-lined streets and its rivers, the Sacramento and the American.

Sacramento should continue to represent our fine (dysfunctional) State.
Entirely agree. Sacramento really is the best place for the capitol of California for all the reasons you posted. It is good that the state capitol not be in the limelight of cities like LA or San Francisco. It is also good that the capitol is located where the earth is as productive as anywhere else in the world. Something as basic as growing food instead of making movies or tech industries gives Sacramento a more down to earth feel literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City