U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-04-2010, 07:47 AM

4,236 posts, read 5,198,982 times

Nutria rats....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-15-2010, 11:11 PM

74 posts, read 89,669 times
When I was growing up on 76th street in Chicago, there were alot of rats of all kinds of colors, some black, some grey, some brown. Alot of us in that hood had dogs too, and the rats and flies used to be all over any dog feces they could find. I lived by some vacant lots and the train, people who say that Chicago dont have a rat problem never lived by vacant lots. I was the only male in the house, so my grandma made me the rat hunter. I remember back in the day, a little kid on the Southeast Side got ate alive by some rats. It was on the news, they literally killed that boy.

Unread 07-16-2010, 12:25 AM

3,732 posts, read 3,928,100 times
Lmao @ the rat hunter, awesome story man. Thats too bad for little dude, I couldn't imagine getting ate alive by rats. I've heard stories of people getting ate alive by red ants, that sounds even worse.

Unread 07-16-2010, 05:20 AM

13,030 posts, read 11,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A little-known side story re 9/11/01 is that on the night of the attacks, police in Jersey City had to close off the area around the Exchange Place PATH station--the first stop from the WTC station--because the area was swarmed with rats fleeing the fires through the tunnel.
That's crazy. Wow. Must've been rats on fire.

Unread 07-16-2010, 05:29 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,684,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
I really don't know about this list--it doesn't seem completely accurate. I've been to a few of those cities on that list. I even spent a little time in Louisville, KY (I went to basic training/boot camp at Fort Knox, KY). Atlanta just CAN'T be number two, I've NEVER seen any rats when I was down there. (Not saying that there isn't a rat problem down there, "I" just didn't see any of them).

Out of the cities where I've spent time, Baltimore seems to be the most rat infested city after New York. Baltimore has so many rats, that it's a common thing to see rat "road kill" in many of the city's streets--especially in the older neighborhoods surrounding downtown.( Any truly honest person who lives in or has really spent significant time in Baltimore city has to acknowledge that I'm telling the truth).

A few years back, I questioned an old-head, Baltimore native about this problem. He told me that when they were building Baltimore's one subway line, it disrupted a lot of the sewer systems and caused the rats to come out from underground to the surface. Don't know how true that is, but that's the explanation he gave.
Baltimore has rats no question, but commonly seeing rats as road kill is EXAGGERATING.

Unread 07-16-2010, 05:30 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,684,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
I really don't know about this list--it doesn't seem completely accurate. I've been to a few of those cities on that list. I even spent a little time in Louisville, KY (I went to basic training/boot camp at Fort Knox, KY). Atlanta just CAN'T be number two, I've NEVER seen any rats when I was down there. (Not saying that there isn't a rat problem down there, "I" just didn't see any of them).

Out of the cities where I've spent time, Baltimore seems to be the most rat infested city after New York. Baltimore has so many rats, that it's a common thing to see rat "road kill" in many of the city's streets--especially in the older neighborhoods surrounding downtown.( Any truly honest person who lives in or has really spent significant time in Baltimore city has to acknowledge that I'm telling the truth).

A few years back, I questioned an old-head, Baltimore native about this problem. He told me that when they were building Baltimore's one subway line, it disrupted a lot of the sewer systems and caused the rats to come out from underground to the surface. Don't know how true that is, but that's the explanation he gave.
Baltimore has rats no question, but regularly seeing rats as road kills is EXAGGERATING.

Unread 07-16-2010, 06:00 AM

2,426 posts, read 1,741,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Nutria rats....

That thing looks like a beaver. The only reason I know it isn't is the tail...

Unread 07-16-2010, 07:10 AM

4,815 posts, read 4,917,787 times
I would say New York City

Unread 07-16-2010, 10:29 AM

2,293 posts, read 3,696,630 times
the only rats I've seen were in Chicago a few years ago...we were there on a short vacation and walking by some alley and saw a couple of rats, it was like from a movie lol

editing to add that I've never been to NYC though

Unread 07-16-2010, 12:43 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,198,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
That thing looks like a beaver. The only reason I know it isn't is the tail...
Now imagine one in your kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City