Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you see Starbucks density being influential to your city and yourself?
Starbucks is a very important part of my life- I use it to get through the day 16 28.07%
No thanks, I rather have the sun, bagel, corn, cheesesteak and anything else my city has got going on 41 71.93%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
There was a business case done on Starbucks entering a new town and the odd thing is that when one entered it "usually" brought along more independents and the coffee shop culture increased overall even the non Starbucks. Menaing higher sales accross the board

Dunkin does not have the same effect the paper also claimed but i will never be able it again but did find it interesting
Starbucks was the first chain coffee place here, the local shops had been around for a LONG time before they showed up, and are still here. Coffee shops have always done a decent business here, but it the area doesn't fit the whole "coffee shop culture."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,400 times
SB is too damn expensive. I save that money for lunch.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Starbucks was the first chain coffee place here, the local shops had been around for a LONG time before they showed up, and are still here. Coffee shops have always done a decent business here, but it the area doesn't fit the whole "coffee shop culture."

Not disputing it at all, reading your post rekindled it in my head, I am in marketing so some of this stuff fascinates me. And to your point the biggest impact (outside of the Starbucks itself) were new mom/pop coffee shops that opened after, like the door was opened. It generalized on the concept but was a more common theme

I am really not a huge fan of Starbucks and will take my La Colombe any day of the week, but do frequent them on travel. They are basically everywhere these days

Now Walmarts on the other hand generally put mom and pop out of business and homgenize America through less purchase choice, but a topic for another thread...

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I found 34 Starbucks stores within Lakeview/Lincoln Park in Chicago. That's an area of 160,000 people.

So roughly one store for every 4,700 people.

It looks like there are 50 stores within a 15 minute walk of the Chicago loop.

I've never stepped foot inside a Starbucks though, really never even thought about it.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
My answer would be that I enjoy Starbucks but also like the many independent and unique options my city offers. I have no idea how to figure out Starbucks density, but I can tell you it's pretty high in Boston, though the number one chain coffee shop in Boston by far, is Dunkin.
My answer is pretty similar. I'm here in Charlotte. Coffee is not as big as in Seattle, Boston, or Bay Area. But I aslo prefer mom an pop coffee shops myself.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM

330 posts, read 681,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
We had a Starbucks a couple years ago. Everybody thought it was overpriced swill and it closed after about a year. We do have a couple very good small local places that Starbucks just couldn't compete with quality wise and wouldn't even try to match price wise. Better coffee for less money... Starbucks didn't have a prayer of lasting.
I've been to West Michigan as a friend of mine lived in Grand Rapids for two or three years. I've been out as far as Mukegon. Starbucks was probably too sophisticated for those rednecks out there.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:00 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
I've been to West Michigan as a friend of mine lived in Grand Rapids for two or three years. I've been out as far as Mukegon. Starbucks was probably too sophisticated for those rednecks out there.
So there is sophisticated coffee now?

More than likely it was an issue of the locals being too smart to fall for a marketing scheme that tried to make them pay triple for the same product which was made better right down the street.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 PM

129 posts, read 264,314 times
Most places that have strong coffee like Krispin kream donuts our established themselves. If MC Donalds priority was coffee there coffee would be stronger. Can someone tell me if the original Starbucks coffee is like the chain coffee.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I am laughing. Hysterically.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Starbucks sucks. They make a crappy cup of coffee and cover up the bad taste by adding a lot of sugar and flavoring. If you don't believe me, try getting an Americano next time you go to Starbucks. You can walk into just about any independent coffee shop in any given town and find that they make a better cup coffee. Even in Houston, I rarely find local coffee shop that can't make a better cup of coffee then Starbucks.
I agree, sometimes I think I can make a better cup of coffee at my house than going to Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City