U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which mall experience would you prefer?
Mall of America 60 53.57%
King of Prussia Mall 52 46.43%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2011, 01:50 PM
 
34,243 posts, read 41,268,949 times
Reputation: 29730

Advertisements

I've been to both and prefer Mall of America over KOP, Mall of America is a much better lay out, its 4 stories of shopping and food courts in circles around a fairly large theme park with many rides and fun activities.
KOP is just a large Mall or Two of them stuck together..
They both pale in comparison to Montreal's underground city that has 32 kilometers of shopping and food courts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_City,_Montreal

Last edited by jambo101; 11-19-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:02 PM
 
183 posts, read 241,243 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
But you're the one stating things that clearly aren't true. If WEM is more heard of, then why does it have about 28.2 million visitors per year while MOA has around 40 million visitors per year?
No I'm not. WEM IS more famous around the world. Obviously MoA is going to get more visitors. It's in a metro three times as large. And if you look at the number of people within a day's drive, there are many times more people compared to WEM. What is "clearly not true" is that almost nobody has heard of WEM. People fly to Edmonton from overseas basically just to go to the mall. It's a lie to say that almost nobody has heard of WEM.Again, take up your issue with west336. He's the one who started the lie that almost nobody has heard of WEM. It's also a lie that MoA gets twice as many visitors (it's about 40m to 29m per year). I think someone else in this thread said that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
5,440 posts, read 8,112,014 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
No I'm not. WEM IS more famous around the world. Obviously MoA is going to get more visitors. It's in a metro three times as large. And if you look at the number of people within a day's drive, there are many times more people compared to WEM. What is "clearly not true" is that almost nobody has heard of WEM. People fly to Edmonton from overseas basically just to go to the mall. It's a lie to say that almost nobody has heard of WEM.Again, take up your issue with west336. He's the one who started the lie that almost nobody has heard of WEM. It's also a lie that MoA gets twice as many visitors (it's about 40m to 29m per year). I think someone else in this thread said that.
The metro i'm sure doesn't have alot to do with it.. There are only about 3.5 million people in MPL/SP area. Alot of those visitors are also coming from around the world you know. And I doubt more people know about WEM than MOA. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:10 PM
 
183 posts, read 241,243 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The metro i'm sure doesn't have alot to do with it.. There are only about 3.5 million people in MPL/SP area.
There are only 1 million people in the metro Edmonton area. So the metro population has a lot to do with it. And in talking with my friend who lived in Minneapolis for a year, there's not a whole lot to do there. Edmonton has the Rocky Mountains less than a three hour drive for example.
Quote:
Alot of those visitors are also coming from around the world you know. And I doubt more people know about WEM than MOA. Just my opinion.
I'm sure more Americans know about MOA than WEM, but in Europe and Australia WEM has been well-known since 1981. It is a lie to say almost nobody has heard of it like that other guy did. Why would MOA be more famous than WEM internationally? What does MOA have over WEM? I've been to both, and MOA pales in both size/scope and variety of things to do compared to WEM. So there is no reason I can think of why it would be more famous. It's only more famous in the United States, not in any other country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,801 posts, read 17,657,859 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
They both pale in comparison to Montreal's underground city that has 32 kilometers of shopping and food courts.
Underground City, Montreal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow that's really cool! I had no clue that Montreal had this, Thanks for posting this i love discovering interesting things in different cities over the web
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
 
183 posts, read 241,243 times
Reputation: 72
Toronto also has a massive underground mall called the PATH. It has approx. 1300 stores with nearly 5 million square feet of leaseable retail space (the 4 million in the link is about 10 years out of date). It is the world's largest underground shopping complex as per Guinness Book of World Records.PATH (Toronto) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
5,440 posts, read 8,112,014 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
There are only 1 million people in the metro Edmonton area. So the metro population has a lot to do with it. And in talking with my friend who lived in Minneapolis for a year, there's not a whole lot to do there. Edmonton has the Rocky Mountains less than a three hour drive for example.I'm sure more Americans know about MOA than WEM, but in Europe and Australia WEM has been well-known since 1981. It is a lie to say almost nobody has heard of it like that other guy did. Why would MOA be more famous than WEM internationally? What does MOA have over WEM? I've been to both, and MOA pales in both size/scope and variety of things to do compared to WEM. So there is no reason I can think of why it would be more famous. It's only more famous in the United States, not in any other country.
What do you mean there isn't alot to do in Minneapolis?!

I never said there was anything MOA has over WEM. But you can't deny that MOA is more popular in, and most likely outside of The USA. How do you know that less people know of MOA outside of the USA though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:25 PM
 
63 posts, read 58,594 times
Reputation: 37
King of Prussia mall never tried to be a 'destination' mall like Mall of America, it grew organically. If people talk it up, it's only because Philadelphia's huge market allowed it to grow so much. It does feature a few steak houses and there are a few hotels in the area. It is a great asset to Philadelphia, but it was never intended to draw tourist traffic. The main reason to go to King of Prussia Mall is to shop, but then again I can't imagine why else one would go to a mall, certainly not for a roller coaster.

As for the whole ongoing debate about the fame of the West Edmonton Mall, lol of course they heard about it in Australia, being that Canada and Australia share having Queen Elizabeth II as their monarch. What's news in one place is news in the other... the West Edmonton Mall is otherwise unknown to most of the world and to most Americans. MOA got lots of press when it opened, I definitely think it is the better known mall, both in this country and throughout the world; except for within the British Empire, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,801 posts, read 17,657,859 times
Reputation: 9029
*** JUST DID A THREAD OF MALL OF AMERICA VS. WEST EDMONTON ***
Please take your WEM MoA debate there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:34 PM
 
183 posts, read 241,243 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
What do you mean there isn't alot to do in Minneapolis?!

I never said there was anything MOA has over WEM. But you can't deny that MOA is more popular in, and most likely outside of The USA. How do you know that less people know of MOA outside of the USA though?
For one thing WEM has been around 10+ more years than MOA, so it's had more time to get famous. As for which is more famous, neither of us can say for sure, but WEM is a lot more famous in Europe and Australia. I'm speaking from first-hand experience. In fact, in those places WEM is the only thing most people know about Edmonton. What makes you think MoA is more famous internationally? What is there about the mall that would make it more famous?Again though, take up your issue with west336, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top