Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 77 44.25%
Minneapolis, Minnesota 97 55.75%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
What is your methodology for Minneapolis having better Public Transit....I'll admit PAT is nothing to write home about...but both are mostly bus operated systems with Light Rail...But Pittsburgh is heavily invested in BRT....
I just looked it up, I actually didn't see the public transportation part before but Pittsburgh appears to have a more extensive LRT system.

My bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
I live in St Paul, but vote for Pgh. I prefer the Burgh's architecture, downtown, neighborhoods, and natural setting to Mpls's. I like grit in a city. Most of the Twin Cities' grit has been eradecated.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
I would rather live in Minneapolis. Look at my location.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Nightlife isnt exclusive to Clubbing til 4am....

BTW - Pittsburgh's nightlife extends well beyond its CBD (downtown) into its many neighborhoods that bustle into the night with Art galleries, Theaters, Resturants, Lounges, Clubs (both mainstream and underground), Fancy Bars, Dives, and Gambling to name a few ...How many Minneapolis neighborhood are still active past 8pm

Pittsburgh - Downtown (Cultural District) - North Shore, The Strip, Lawrenceville, South Side, Mt Washington, Shadyside, East Liberty, Garfield/Friendship, Bloomfield, Oakland, Sq Hill, Homestead...all go well past 8pm
There's always stuff do in the TC.

If you want to play that game...Minneapolis alone can take Pittsburgh (similar sizes)...all of the features you mentioned can be found throughout the city in terms of nightlife. Downtown, Uptown/Lyn-Lake, the Warehouse District, Lower Northeast, Loring Park, Dinkytown, Whittier, and Lake Street are also always active neighborhoods.

The Arts are huge in the Twin Cities, there are many museums, theaters, galleries; the music scene for independent (and mainstream music) is also prominent, with both modern dance clubs, indie hotspots, and nationally recognized venues like First Avenue nightclub (where Prince started off); and the eats are good too...Nicollet Ave is nicknamed Eat Street because of the sheer variety of different types of cuisine in a short span (Mexican, Vietnamese, German, NY-style Pizza, Japanese, Trinidadian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Malaysian)

Now throw in only slightly smaller St. Paul across the river, with similar amenities (albeit a tad slower)...and you get a winning combo...

Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 PM

From literally all over the city of MPLS... and mostly from awesome threads by poster Somnifor on SSC...

A little taste of Minneapolis.

Even in a bustling city, nature is close at hand. Specifically the lakes! You can feel as if you're in total isolation.

MPLS is known as the city of lakes:

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-01-2010 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 38,084 times
I lived in both cities but Pittsburgh wins hands down.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM

More

Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM

409 posts, read 1,240,916 times
I've grown up in Minneapolis, but one side of my extended family is in Pittsburgh. I also attended a semester at CMU.

IMO:

Better public transportation: Minneapolis
Better economy: Minneapolis
Better housing costs: Pittsburgh
Better layout: Toss up, but I'll give it to Pittsburgh
Better museums: Pittsburgh
Better schools/universities: Pittsburgh
Better restaurants: Minneapolis
Better shopping: Minneapolis
Better nightlife: Minneapolis
Better parks: Minneapolis
Better events: Minneapolis

Old 07-01-2010, 02:30 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

That poor woman and her animals froze to death in Minneapolis.

My vote goes to Pittsburgh.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I would love to see some skyline and streetscapes of Minneapolis for a visual of its Vibrancy....Not being condesending, just I dont know whole lot about the place and never been...

Here's Pittsburgh for those that don't know or need visuals

Skylines Pics:

Now Pittsburgh streetscapes-

Downtown:

South Side:

North Shore:

Lawrenceville

The Strip

Shadyside:

Oakland (Pittsburgh's 2nd CBD)

Squirrel Hill

Finally Bloomfield:

Jesus Effing Christ. Couldn't you have created a Flickr photostream and posted link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City