Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times

Advertisements

My mom and brothers moved to the Lehigh Valley and still commute to NYC due to the cheap housing cost. Lots of NY/NJ plates out in that area and houses seem to be springing up everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 07:30 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
^
I hope the Capital District DOES NOT become part of the Bosh-Wash corridor, because it will mean the destruction of the entire Hudson Valley by sprawl. Also, I would have liked to see most of beautiful Lancaster County, PA being perserved as a greenbelt instead of being developed.
I am quite sure Lancaster County does have a rural land preservation program. That does not exclude the possibility of smart growth development.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Does the question refer to potential exurbs of the NE megalopolis, or to future outward growth of the megalopolis into areas not currently included (like Richmond, Norfolk/Hampton, or down the I-85 corridor to Atlanta)?
I was not thinking so much of residential development driven by commuters into the center cities or their closer suburbs, but rather places that would garner employment from businesses wishing to have proximity to the corridor but lower costs. I was not thinking so much of more distant places in the deep south and midwest competing with the corridor, but places where proximity to the corridor is a selling point.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:04 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Hmmmm, I think i'll get all the 2030 maps starting out with the Main Maps. There aren't any small Metros , because there adsorbed into the larger ones. But judging by these next few maps states are now investing billions into feeder corridors that will supply the NEC due to Population movements forming New Metros like the Wyoming or Lehigh Valley Metros.......or New Haven Metro , and a few others. But another 20 years this region should have transit / rail = to Europe outside the Bos-Wash and Transit / Rail in the Bos-Wash should be on par with an Asian System the way were reactivating and building.

South of DC is the New Northeast Corridor The NEC and feeder lines as shown here are the spine and feeder lines.

2030 Improvement Plane for Intercity and Trunk lines

2030 plans for the Northeast region , since the Northeast Corridor needs these plans to function correctly.

New Jersey Transit 2020>now 2030 plan

CT statewide plan

Pennsylvania 2035 Intercity Rail Plan

Virgina 2030 plans

Baltimore 2030 plan

Washington DC 2025 Streetcar Plan

Southeastern PA / Philly's 2030 plans

Proposed Plan 1

Proposed Plan 2

Current and Future MBTA since it would be really hard for ppl outside the Region to tell the difference...

Current

MBTA 2050 plan (unofficial) Urban / Boston suburbs - form what i'm told half of this is on track to happen

Cities with plans to expand of build Streetcar lines or Systems

New Haven
Stamford
Providence
Harrisburg
Lancaster
Wilmington
Richmond
Philly
Newark
Springfield
Worcester
Portland
New York
Concord,NH
Reading,PA
Manchester
Dover,DE

Cities with plans to expand or build a Light Rail system or line

Jersey City
Newark
Elizabeth
New Brunswick,NJ
Philly
Northern NJ
Hartford
Boston
New Haven
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Syracuse
Albany
Baltimore
DC
Buffalo
Richmond
Norfolk
Scranton
Binghampton

Cities with plans to expand or Build Bus Rapid Systems

Hartford
Boston
Newark
Baltimore
Albany
Springfield
DC
Trenton
New Haven

Cities with plans to expand or build Subway / Metro systems or lines

New York City
Philly
Newark-Elizabeth
Philly
DC
Boston

States with plans to expand or build Commuter Rail systems

Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh Region , Philly Metro , and around Harrisburg
New Jersey > More in Northern , Central and parts of Southern
Maryland > More statewide rail
CT > more connector lines and upgraded network
Massachusetts > More Statewide Rail
Rhode Island > a few more lines
Virgina > more statewide Rail
New York > Regional Rail networks in upstate NY

I hope that helped....

Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
^ Agreed, although Hartford is not on I-95, it is very much a offshoot of the Bosh-Wash corridor. So probably is nearby Springfield, Massachusetts.

I agree with the OP and Kidphilly about the Lehigh Valley area. It forms the third point of a triangle with Philadelphia and New York City. And while it may not have the big city amenties of the bigger cities, it offers both nicer and cheaper housing as well as open lands nearby.

I hope the Capital District DOES NOT become part of the Bosh-Wash corridor, because it will mean the destruction of the entire Hudson Valley by sprawl. Also, I would have liked to see most of beautiful Lancaster County, PA being perserved as a greenbelt instead of being developed.

The capital region of NY will not become part of the bosh-wash, it's just too far away.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:30 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
in the next few years, assuming the overall economy, and in particular the corridor, take off again?

Richmond VA? Lancaster Pa? Lehigh Valley? Capital District of NY? Hartford?

none, hopefully.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
That "2050 mbta map" is just one dude's pipedream. Don't get me wrong, it would be amazing. But it is not in any possible way "on track to happen". The only proposed expansion in the works is expanding the green line north through somerville to west medford area, with a spur to Union sq.

The "current' map you showed is not the T but the commuter rail so the comparison is meaningless anyways.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
That "2050 mbta map" is just one dude's pipedream. Don't get me wrong, it would be amazing. But it is not in any possible way "on track to happen". The only proposed expansion in the works is expanding the green line north through somerville to west medford area, with a spur to Union sq.

The "current' map you showed is not the T but the commuter rail so the comparison is meaningless anyways.
Half of it is planned the rest is a pipe dream. Most has been studied but hasn't gotten $$$. But this is the 2050 plans theres still another 40 years. Its a wait n see , but here in the Northeast Transit and Rail has been getting more and more popular.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
The capital region of NY will not become part of the bosh-wash, it's just too far away.
again, I wasnt thinking 'become part of the corridor" but more "proximity to the corridor will become an economic driver in a biggish kind of way"

Old 07-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Half of it is planned the rest is a pipe dream. Most has been studied but hasn't gotten $$$. But this is the 2050 plans theres still another 40 years. Its a wait n see , but here in the Northeast Transit and Rail has been getting more and more popular.

I was intending a shorter time horzion, too many things can change by 2050.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City