Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is #1?
Philadelphia 146 58.17%
Pittsburgh 105 41.83%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:23 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On PA politics I would agree though that Pittsburgh gets similar political influence as does Philly in Harrisburg. Also I think much more of the state does associate with Pittsburgh when compared to Philly. Largely outside of the SE portion and parts of the NE of the state most of state seem to have a caustic realtionship with Philly, which is the primary (by a long way) economic engine of PA BTW so the affiliation is not surprising to me actually
I've never understood the Philly hate. I've run into a lot of people from Pennsylvania who have a strong disdain for it.

Quote:
Philadelphia, it’s time: Let’s secede from Pennsylvania and make our own state.

Sound crazy? Maybe. But as we neared the legislature’s budget deadline in Harrisburg (it was passed and signed last night) it’s impossible not to notice — again — that our neighbors across the rest of the state seem not to love us Big City Folks too much. They complain about giving us money for transportation. They complain about giving us money for schools. They just don’t seem to like our African-American population — or our voters or our gay lawmakers — and the insinuation, always, is that Philadelphia is mostly a parasite sucking blood and nutrients from an otherwise healthy, vibrant state.

So maybe it’s time to leave.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/0...twrwp1DRQcc.99

Old 10-29-2015, 12:51 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've never understood the Philly hate. I've run into a lot of people from Pennsylvania who have a strong disdain for it.

Read more at Philadelphia Should Secede From Pennsylvania | The Philly Post | News | Philadelphia Magazine
It's not hate... but it is a stereotype as you can even judge Chicago by.... . I Always heard Philly labeled ... Filthadelphia in East-Central PA. Many who went to sporting events in Philly in the Past. Not saying today. Got to see very distressed neighborhoods and Parking in the Stadiums parking lot... you could literally have parts of your car stripped... and God forbid you had a opposing teams decal or whatever visible in/on you car.......

Things take a generation or more sometimes to gain major changes in perceptions. Philly improving in Gentrification.... still has the city hard to hide much of its blight.

In Philly Locals see improvements all around in a process. Areas as Fishtown is boasted to new arrivals. But its revival is gradual and MANY areas of blight and deterioration can remain for years.... between a block gentrified and driving to it you still see them. That still stands out to visitors.... the city can still leave debris fills yards and abandoned windowless buildings among those gentrifying around it.

Merely opinion on what I've seen in visits. Here from Locals by me away from Philly... especially over 40 people who know Philly well before its level of Gentrification today in CC alone....

So to say you DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY? Some things I mention are part if it... If you need to drive through a few neighborhoods to get on the Expressway back home.... especially in the past. Good chance you would drive through those blighted areas yet.... that then still stands out and you take with you.

It is true what Kidphilly said about PA outside of Philly. By northeast PA it has closer ties to NYC. Traveling West of the Susquehanna River.... it quickly goes toward Pittsburgh even for its sports teams very quickly....

As for the title of your Article.. I could say the same for Chicago succeed from Illinois... it gets little respect downstate that gets highly conservative and Southern influenced quickly.....

Old 10-29-2015, 01:38 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
accoirding to BB that could be boosting because is a preference of attributes

I think a lot of people may feel similar to you and many will feel otherwise, both are correct to the individual
No Boosting, is making overly generalized opinionated statements, such as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Philly due to larger economy, better universities, larger population, more ethnic diversity, better skyline, close proximity to NYC, DC and beaches.

This is just being a Booster.

Quote:

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/0...twrwp1DRQcc.99
I don't hate Philly ... I hate the Booster BS who try to give Philly more Power/Influence than it actually has ... Philly does not have NYC sized Influence or Power over much of PA outside of SEPA. You leave SEPA and pretty much all traces of Philly influences vanish. Like i said Pittsburgh does have influence across the entire I-80 corridor it weakens the further East you go, but its still there .... There's not a part of PA outside of SEPA that forgets Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania.

Maybe if I didn't live in both Pittsburgh and Philly to know both well enough, I would buy the BS that many on here try to sell .... But I know both cities too well personally, and they're more alike than they are different to be honest. Like I said in the Pittsburgh forum on this same debate ... Philly is Pittsburgh if it was inside the NEC ... Pittsburgh is Philadelphia if it was outside the NEC.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 10-29-2015 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 01:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
It's not hate... but it is a stereotype as you can even judge Chicago by.... . I Always heard Philly labeled ... Filthadelphia in East-Central PA. Many who went to sporting events in Philly in the Past. Not saying today. Got to see very distressed neighborhoods and Parking in the Stadiums parking lot... you could literally have parts of your car stripped... and God forbid you had a opposing teams decal or whatever visible in/on you car.......

Things take a generation or more sometimes to gain major changes in perceptions. Philly improving in Gentrification.... still has the city hard to hide much of its blight.

In Philly Locals see improvements all around in a process. Areas as Fishtown is boasted to new arrivals. But its revival is gradual and MANY areas of blight and deterioration can remain for years.... between a block gentrified and driving to it you still see them. That still stands out to visitors.... the city can still leave debris fills yards and abandoned windowless buildings among those gentrifying around it.

Merely opinion on what I've seen in visits. Here from Locals by me away from Philly... especially over 40 people who know Philly well before its level of Gentrification today in CC alone....

So to say you DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY? Some things I mention are part if it... If you need to drive through a few neighborhoods to get on the Expressway back home.... especially in the past. Good chance you would drive through those blighted areas yet.... that then still stands out and you take with you.

It is true what Kidphilly said about PA outside of Philly. By northeast PA it has closer ties to NYC. Traveling West of the Susquehanna River.... it quickly goes toward Pittsburgh even for its sports teams very quickly....

As for the title of your Article.. I could say the same for Chicago succeed from Illinois... it gets little respect downstate that gets highly conservative and Southern influenced quickly.....
I think it has les to do with blight (many PA smaller cities are significantly blighted as well) as it does with the state mentality. Philly is more urban and much of the remainder of the state is more rural in beliefs and preference

Old 10-29-2015, 01:46 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,041,625 times
Imo Philly and Pittsburgh are kind of the opposite of a rivalry, more like brothers.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
No Boosting, is making overly generalized opinionated statements, such as this:

This is just being a Booster.
That's not boosting. He has an opinion but his opinion is predicated on facts.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I think it has les to do with blight (many PA smaller cities are significantly blighted as well) as it does with the state mentality. Philly is more urban and much of the remainder of the state is more rural in beliefs and preference
Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in the middle. Thus quoth James Carville.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Imo Philly and Pittsburgh are kind of the opposite of a rivalry, more like brothers.
Definitely no rivalry. To be honest, I feel that the two cities are so far apart that they hardly think about each other. I would imagine that there's more of a rivalry between Cleveland and Pittsburgh than there is between Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Definitely no rivalry. To be honest, I feel that the two cities are so far apart that they hardly think about each other. I would imagine that there's more of a rivalry between Cleveland and Pittsburgh than there is between Philly and Pittsburgh.
You're wrong.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're wrong.
Maybe Pittsburghers(?) think about Philadelphia. I can't say that the concern is reciprocated. NYC, Baltimore and DC were more on the radar than Pittsburgh ever was for us. Pittsburgh is the same distance from Philly that Boston is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City