Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Funny, that was my same reaction when I read this:

You can swap Indy out with Cincinnati, Columbus, Des Moines, Omaha, Chicago, etc. and the comment would still be factual.
Well, that poll though who put Indy behind St. Louis and Kansas City tells a different story, doesn't it? Good thing the OP did not have Madison - WI or Des Moines - IA, both of which much smaller than Indy, in that poll, otherwise Indy would be even further behind, probably just ahead of Omaha compared to any other mid-size to large Midwestern city for now...

Of course there are people who think Indy is a paradise… it is an obvious fact you will find people anywhere who loves their place.

Seriously guys, I reallly think Indianapolis is fine. I have learned a few things I did not know about it here at C-D, so when we came back in the summer, I think we will be able to take more advantage of it. I miss my friends there too...

Last edited by Indyking; 05-11-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Well, that poll though who put Indy behind St. Louis and Kansas City tells a different story, doesn't it? Good thing the OP did not have Madison - WI or Des Moines - IA, both of which much smaller than Indy in that poll, otherwise Indy would be even further behind, probably just ahead of Omaha compared to any other mid-size to large Midwestern city for now...
I don't really put a lot of stock in the polls on this forum. It is driven primarily by boosterism and heresay. There have been polls where Indianapolis comes out ahead, and polls where it doesn't. It really means nothing at all. There are tireless boosters and haters of every city on this forum. Hearing folks come at Indianapolis is nothing new, just like seeing people rip on Cincinnati or Cleveland or wherever on this forum is nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Seriously guys, I reallly think Indianapolis is fine. I have learned of a few things I did not know about it here at C-D, so when we came back in the summer, I think we will be able to take more advantage of it. I miss my friends there too...
right on...........though I would note that for me, I don't really care what you (or anyone) thinks of Indianapolis. It is just the attitude of "see, those guys hate Indianapolis too" and "oh Indianapolis is nothing but chains and sprawl." People say that about every city on this forum. That is an unfortunate mindset, because every city of Indy's size has some redeeming qualities. Columbus has them. Cincinnati has them. STL has them. Even Des Moines does. This idea that a city that anchors a metro of close to 2 million people has nothing is ignorant.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:47 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
right on...........though I would note that for me, I don't really care what you (or anyone) thinks of Indianapolis. It is just the attitude of "see, those guys hate Indianapolis too" and "oh Indianapolis is nothing but chains and sprawl." People say that about every city on this forum. That is an unfortunate mindset, because every city of Indy's size has some redeeming qualities. Columbus has them. Cincinnati has them. STL has them. Even Des Moines does. This idea that a city that anchors a metro of close to 2 million people has nothing is ignorant.
That is not my impression about Indianapolis, but perhaps I was misinterpreted. I do think Indy has qualities; it should based on its size anyway. I was trying to say that other people prefer, like we do, other cities over Indianapolis, it's different from "other people hate Indianapolis too". When you move around a bit because of your job, like I did, you get a better appreciation of what really matters to your every day life quality. Indianapolis unfortunately does not deliver on the level we would like to be now and it has nothing to do with living in the suburbs, because I have always lived in suburbs and I guarantee you they are not all the same. Anyway, like I said, Indianapolis suit us for now but we are looking for opportunities out there for sure. I was recruited to Indianapolis by a friend, she is originally from Michigan. The opportunity was great and I was tired of east Texas (I take bitter winters over hot humid summers any day). When I asked her, do you like Indianapolis, she hesitated and answered it is OK. I insisted and she said, I learned to like it... it's close to my family and I love my job. Later I learn what she meant. Most of my friends from other places in the Midwest have the same attitude about Indy. The ones that came from the coast, well 2 of them could not stand and left. Everybody's experience is different but the majority of my friends that really love Indy and don't even think about moving out are long time IN residents.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeletethesePosts View Post
It terms of a real city, it goes Cincy> Columbus>Indy

Columbus has a ok downtown followed by god awful sprawl. Cincy is the only one that has a cool real city feel to it in neighborhoods like Mt. Adams, Over the Rhine, Lower Price Hill, etc.
The real city that everyone's leaving for Butler County.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
give me a break lol. LA has urban sprawl and so does Chicago. Columbus isnt that much Urban Sprawl.
it should be Indy or Cincy>Columbus.
Indy and Cincy are tied in my books.
Although Indy is growing much faster than Cincy.
plus Indianapolis has the way better downtown.
Downtown Indy>Downtown Cincy>Downtown Columbus.
Columbus has the highest density in its urban area according to the census, as well as the least amount of exurban sprawl compared to Cincinnati and Indy, yet it's the one constantly being singled out for sprawl. Makes no sense and a case where perception has no connection to reality.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
That's the problem > once you get out of downtown. Indy is more urbanly centralized at the center core you don't have to leave downtown for the burbs for most things as you would in Columbus. Why on earth would anyone want to waste gas driving all the way out to Easton or Polaris in suburbia if you don't have to leave the core area. In this case, Indy has more options. I could walk to a NFL or NBA game or shopping or the Zoo. In Columbus, you really can't do that. Sure you it has more neighborhoods outside but you have to drive to them since it would be a good walk due to Columbus having a larger downtown area with less density.
Columbus has higher density in ALL it's parts, Downtown included, which is what is so ironic about everyone repeating these claims.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Weather isnt that much of a problem with Indianapolis cause were used to it and prepared for it.
Hence one Major Flaw with the South. I laugh everytime i hear people say Im moving south to escape the snow! The South isnt immune to snow. If you want that move to Hawaii then. Even Pheonix can get flakes of snow.
Dallas maybe or maybe not learned its lesson. Be prepared for weather like Indianapolis and maybe your Super Bowl would of been better
Anyway when Indy bids for another Super Bowl well be ready for mother nature just like every other time. Plus our city has a great skywalk system so it doesnt matter of its 0 degrees outside. The Skywalks are heated
Even Hawaii gets snow. In the winter of 2009-10, I think all 50 states had snow on the ground somewhere within the state. Hawaii gets it on the tops of some of their volcanos.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Even Hawaii gets snow. In the winter of 2009-10, I think all 50 states had snow on the ground somewhere within the state. Hawaii gets it on the tops of some of their volcanos.
idk about you but i would NEVER live on the top of a volcano.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:39 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
The point is their is snow in hawaii.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
The point is their is snow in hawaii.
but nobody has to deal with it though.
Unless your hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City