Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
The Indy Klu KlUX klan was the most powerful klan in the country...look at Indys history, they seen tons of racial tension.
Yes, but the last race riots in Cincy occurred in the 21st century. Indy now hosts the largest African American cultural gathering event in the country every summer. It's also one of the least segregated cities in the United States. I don't think Cincy is some racist hell or anything like that, but there is definitely more racism in the area. It also strikes me as the most segregated of these three cities, but I don't have numbers for that. It's just speculation based on experiences I've had in all three places.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Link??
There is no direct link. What you have to do is go to census.gov, pull up individual census reports to find city area size for each year and then use population figures for each of those years to find the density. Not sure what's so controversial or unbelievable about the numbers, though. What do you think normally happens with falling city population vs rising city population? Obviously densities are going to follow the same trends.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Yes, but the last race riots in Cincy occurred in the 21st century. Indy now hosts the largest African American cultural gathering event in the country every summer. It's also one of the least segregated cities in the United States. I don't think Cincy is some racist hell or anything like that, but there is definitely more racism in the area. It also strikes me as the most segregated of these three cities, but I don't have numbers for that. It's just speculation based on experiences I've had in all three places.
You can't use a single incident over a decade ago to legitimately determine levels of racism in a city. That is ridiculous.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
February 2013 standings for On Numbers Economic Index - The Business Journals
Cincinnati and Columbus have way stronger economies then Indy silly's!
And miliken has indy 51st, cbus 54th and cincy 89th but I guarantee 100% you would never cite miliken (even though it's highly respected).

Both areas grew by a palty .9%. Neither is blazing trails as. 9% growth is a joke or was it indy and cbus at. 9 and cincy at. 7% growth? Either way it's nothing to come raving on cd about. Us grew by 1.5% which is anemic. .7 or. 9% growth normally does not equate to #18 economy.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You can't use a single incident over a decade ago to legitimately determine levels of racism in a city. That is ridiculous.
If I was talking about Birmingham or any place in the South, most people would disagree with you and say that it shows how bad race relations in the area are. Since Cincy is in Ohio and not Kentucky, I bet you'll have more people on your side. You have blinders on if you don't think this is an actual problem for Cincinnati. I'm not saying that rioting is a common occurrence or anything like that, but race relations in the area aren't the best. As far as I know there is not any "legitimate" way to find out how racist an area is other than looking at events that have occurred in the past.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
If I was talking about Birmingham or any place in the South, most people would disagree with you and say that it shows how bad race relations in the area are. Since Cincy is in Ohio and not Kentucky, I bet you'll have more people on your side. You have blinders on if you don't think this is an actual problem for Cincinnati. I'm not saying that rioting is a common occurrence or anything like that, but race relations in the area aren't the best. As far as I know there is not any "legitimate" way to find out how racist an area is other than looking at events that have occurred in the past.
The FBI measures hate crimes. That'd probably be a good start, though even then, I'm not sure it tells the full picture.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Really...Half of these are from more than 100 yrs ago. Every city has had race issues, NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, Baltimore, Philly, St. Louis, Indy, Columbus
Cali isn't this discussion about Indianapolis vs Columbus vs Cincinnati? What does NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, Baltimore, Philly, St Louis have to do with it? Cincinnati has had more race issue than Indy and Columbus entire combined histories.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I can only pipe up here in terms of interest to visit! I'm going to go with Cinci.. I like the architecture and the downtown core seems pretty solid. It also has some good historical cred. Put this way I went a bit out of my way on a road trip to visit cincinatti, I bypassed both Columbus and Indianapolis. +1 to Columbus though for having a Tim Horton's (albeit the coffee wasn't that good at the location I went to).
Here is some anecdotal evidence of a key point I was making. Thanks

Quote:
Really...Half of these are from more than 100 yrs ago. Every city has had race issues, NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, Baltimore, Philly, St. Louis, Indy, Columbus
Baltimore even had racial zoning.

If you read some of the stuff surrounding that nutcase rogue cop in Los Angeles, it seems clear the LA cops still have some serious issues with regard to racial relations. All indicators I have seen show Cincinnati making pretty good strides in that area since 2001. Not to say everything is perfect, but it isn't perfect anywhere. Cincy's police chief is now black (the riots were about police behavior), the mayor and city manager are black, the economic development director is black, city council has a black majority, etc... All while there are still more white residents than black residents, and white residents make up a disproportionate segment of voters. A Tea Party group is allied with the local NAACP -- if that's not racial harmony, I don't know what is.

Crime went way up after the riots, but it's come way down since then. It was a complicated thing to understand, and the aftermath and healing is even more complicated. Using it to prove how racist Cincinnatians are is a convenient simplification of a complex issue. Frankly, getting that strife out of our system might have advanced the city past others in the region. It put a lot of things out in the open which were then addressed and attempted to be dealt with. Aside from some of the things I already mentioned, the revitalization of Over-the-Rhine, and the good faith attempt to keep it mixed-income, is a living example.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:29 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
The Indy Klu KlUX klan was the most powerful klan in the country...look at Indys history, they seen tons of racial tension.
You are stating an error in fact. It was Vanderburgh County which is the Evansville Metropolitan area that was the center of Klan activity in Indiana. The Evansville Klavern was the most powerful in the state. Surprising Indianapolis for a major city has seen very little racial tension. In 1995 there were arrest when a disturbance broke out during a demonstration involving the beating and arrest of Danny Sales by the police. That is about as close to a race riot that Indianapolis has experienced to date. I'm not saying that Indianapolis is an utopian society but it certainly hasn't experience the racial turmoil that has embattled Cincinnati.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
I agree but still other cites have had racial tension too. It all goes back to Cincys history we have had a long history of racial tension but the point is it was over 100 yrs ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City