Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:10 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Sure does, doesn't it?

Taken right outside of Dallas & near downtown.

Dallas County

City of Dallas

You know damn well those wasn't taking right outside of downtown Dallas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That's what I said.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
I had to read closer too.. he actually said that the first few were taken in Dallas county (meaning rural areas)..and the last few were taken right outside of Downtown Dallas.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
That doesn't look like Dallas county at all. That cannot be near Downtown Dallas, I have never seen Dallas like that. Those pictures were taken in the wintertime that's why everything looks dead. I have never seen open spaces like that in Dallas County, I don't think that is Dallas County at all.
Oh right, I'm just making it all up & doctoring pics for the hell of it. Those were indeed taken by me in the City of Dallas & Dallas County, which is far from being "rural". It is very suburban in fact. Highway 175 just north of Seagoville to be exact. Areas near South I-20 & Highway 80 look almost identical...wide open flat to slightly rolling prairie grassland with a few cedar trees & scrub brush bushes spattered about the landscape.

Yes, they were taken in early Spring time. The day of the Manny Paquiao fight at Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Tx.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-11-2010 at 12:33 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:45 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh right, I'm just making it all up & doctoring pics for the hell of it. Those were indeed taken by me in the City of Dallas & Dallas County, which is far from being "rural". It is very suburban in fact. Highway 175 just north of Seagoville to be exact. Areas near South I-20 & Highway 80 look almost identical...wide open flat to slightly rolling prairie grassland with a few cedar trees & scrub brush bushes spattered about the landscape.

Yes, they were taken in early Spring time. The day of the Manny Paquiao fight at Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Tx.
You sure did get the grassland but to the left I do see a high concentration of trees that your camera seem to miss...It was taking in early spring when the grass is brown and no leaves on the trees. You continue to be childish in your post...Even that is not a fair representation of the DFW urban core Dallas and Tarrant County....The cities of Dallas and Fort Worth originally settled on the banks of the trinity river...Which you admitted yourself was heavily forested...Fort Worth (Tarrant County sits in the cross timber region) regardless of your idiotic post Tarrant and Dallas County have a high concentration of forested areas...Its not until you head north into the northern suburbs of Denton and Collin County do you get such a dramatic drop in forested areas and even than its not as dramatic as you are making it out to be.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 07-11-2010 at 01:00 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 01:15 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
You sure did get the grassland but to the left I do see a high concentration of trees that your camera seem to miss...It was taking in early spring when the grass is brown and no leaves on the trees. You continue to be childish in your post...Even that is not a fair representation of the DFW urban core Dallas and Tarrant County....The cities of Dallas and Fort Worth originally settled on the banks of the trinity river...Which you admitted yourself was heavily forested...Fort Worth (Tarrant County sits in the cross timber region) regardless of your idiotic post Tarrant and Dallas County have a high concentration of forested areas...Its not until you head north into the northern suburbs of Denton and Collin County do you get such a dramatic drop in forested areas and even than its not as dramatic as you are making it out to be.
You can continue to call your short canopy of red cedars & over grown mesquite bushes trees all you want. We obviously have differing opinions on what constitutes a real tree. Few areas in Dallas & Fort Worth have the tall, dense tree coverage compared to what I'm used to here in Eastern/Southeastern Texas.

Mesquite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
For a city so small landwise I think San Francisco has a ton of trees ....although all the tree's in SF are in Golden Gate Park lol.

I always thought this picture was cool

Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I know I come across as a Dallas hater but it truly perplexes me why it just doesnt seem as heavily treed as people say it is when I drive through it. I mean, I can say now that I have driven through most of Dallas. And Ive noted while driving that Dallas does have trees - a good deal of trees even. But it doesnt appear to have the amount of tree coverage that the people on CD (and this survey) always say it does.

Like, at times Ill notice that there are clusters of trees here and there, but then Ill be driving along, and I can almost see clear to the other side of the metro (probably exaggerating here), because there is absolutely nothing but prairie. I sometimes think its because the Dallas area doesnt have many towering tall trees. It appears to have more of an abundance of kind of short wide brushy looking trees, but not the obvious large tall looming treelines of some other areas; at least not on the surface.

I guess its just deceptively vegetated. Houston's vegetation seems much more readily apparent and greener, despite the fact that most of its native greenery and foliage kind of peters out south of Westhiemer toward the south end of town.
I lived out there in DFW for years and I promise you that Dallas doesn’t have a lot of tall canopy trees, just medium to small. This list used percentage of trees not height or type. Over all I say it's impressive that Dallas is rank this high, but it’s misleading.

This is a good representations of trees in Dallas. Some of these shots have a fair amount of trees but look at the height

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

compare to Atlanta

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Dallas-Ft Worth does have fields and grassland, very few small spot if anything look like this metro Atlanta.

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

Dallas - Google Maps

I don't know why DFW posters take being in a prairie negatively, DFW is the biggest metro in it's biome. Because I spent most my childhood in Atlanta when going to DFW as a teen, I thought the grass fields "and especially tall grass" made DFW it stick out.

Dallas

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/4...179e3b2212.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...yline_2005.jpg

FT Worth

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/4...7d967b413a.jpg

Old 07-11-2010, 08:48 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Dallas sits in a transition zone between heavily wooded regions of East Texas to the prairies, rivers, lakes and cross-timbers of North Central Texas. The landscape varies considerably throughout DFW.

Dallas from the southside

Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Dallas sits in a transition zone between heavily wooded regions of East Texas to the prairies, rivers, lakes and cross-timbers of North Central Texas. The landscape varies considerably throughout DFW.

Dallas from the southside
Dallas is not in a transitional zone. You don't start seeing heavily treed areas until your about 80 miles east of Dallas. A good example of a city in a transitional zone is Houston. Huge difference between North and South Houston. Even Tyler,TX is considered to be in a transitional zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City