U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 PM

315 posts, read 538,405 times

Advertisements

Shreveport and Monroe Louisiana on I-20 are the worst. I-40 in Arkansas and Oklahoma are not too good either. I-20 in Mississippi is like a roller coaster ride, up and down you go.
For everyone who has visited Florida there roads are the best because of tourism and the fact that the tolls will eat you alive. No potholes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
Shreveport and Monroe Louisiana on I-20 are the worst. I-40 in Arkansas and Oklahoma are not too good either. I-20 in Mississippi is like a roller coaster ride, up and down you go.
For everyone who has visited Florida there roads are the best because of tourism and the fact that the tolls will eat you alive. No potholes there.
Exactly. You have to pay tolls everywhere you go, so they FOR SURE are gonna fix there roads.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,703,440 times
Liberty Ave in Queens, right around by the Jamaica train station. I felt like I was driving in an African safari in a Jeep or something. It's like they haven't paved that road in 20 years. It doesn't help that trucks drive on it constantly due to the warehouses in the area.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:54 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,333,094 times
Oh man...Louisiana has got to have some of the worst roads in the US! Its especially evident on I-20 crossing the Texas/Louisiana border, you'll surely know when you're in one state & out of the other one pretty quickly even if you're just a passenger who happened to fall asleep.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:34 AM

118 posts, read 104,636 times
LOL, I've driven in many states and Michigan by far. I have driven in Pennsylvania and compared to Michigan their roads have been assembled with TLC with the hands of angels. It isn't just the potholes it's the lack of many things other states take for granted like those little lights on the highways. Even Pennsylvania has 'em. Then their is the construction season that shuts down so many major roads during the summer, almost makes you long for winter. If you were just to arrive to Michigan, you'd think damn just my luck next year Michigan will have some great roads but us long-term residents know better. We know that Michigan has got a surplus of traffic cones and needs to decorate its highway like a Christmas tree every summer to get rid of em. There is no other explanation 99% you won't see anyone working!

Then there is driving in Detroit, you might as well need 4WD. I had a puny Toyota Camry and had to rewire the radio cause the potholes kept knocking the connection to the speaks loose. On a major and import road in Detroit, Jefferson, you will not only have potholes but protruding storm drains every couple of feet that I used to zigzag around to keep from destroying my tires and shocks. I used to see major sized holes, the kind that would ruin even a hummer, covered over with plywood like all was okay. Then if you should drive off the major road, be prepared for a genuine off-road experience!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 AM

2,786 posts, read 5,501,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh man...Louisiana has got to have some of the worst roads in the US! Its especially evident on I-20 crossing the Texas/Louisiana border, you'll surely know when you're in one state & out of the other one pretty quickly even if you're just a passenger who happened to fall asleep.
That's how it is from Ohio into Michigan. You can immediatly tell once you have left the smooth Ohio freeways, and enter Michigan's that are not just potholes, but poor quality concrete, and just plain... old.

I blew a tire in a Detroit suburb (luckily it was a rental car), and it seems all along the eastern and central parts of the state the roads we put together in the 1970s and haven't been touched since.

Louisiana is just as bad.

Top 5:
Louisiana
Michigan
Oklahoma
Missouri
Arkansas

Old 10-02-2010, 03:50 AM

66 posts, read 185,385 times
Most Roads in Florida are very well maintained, although the demand for roadspace dramatically outpaces road capacity.

The main East-West route here in Orlando, for instance, has been paved and repaved probably about 6 times in the last 2 years... they keep finding a better material to put down. Theres also been an effort here in Orlando and in other key areas of the state to repave aging neighborhood streets.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:05 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhernandez48 View Post
Most Roads in Florida are very well maintained, although the demand for roadspace dramatically outpaces road capacity.

The main East-West route here in Orlando, for instance, has been paved and repaved probably about 6 times in the last 2 years... they keep finding a better material to put down. Theres also been an effort here in Orlando and in other key areas of the state to repave aging neighborhood streets.
It's all those toll booths that people have to pay that keep these roads maintained.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:20 AM

66 posts, read 185,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's all those toll booths that people have to pay that keep these roads maintained.
Yes, the tolls are ridiculous.... excessive! But people still pay them, myself included.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,621,538 times
SF bay area has some of the worst roads in the country. Bay Area Tops Nation's Worst Roads List | NBC Bay Area

The funny thing is bridge fees go up (while the bridge falls apart), toll roads get put up to tax people using the fast lane, and the roads just continue into third world status. Its always refreshing to go back east and see how roads are well maintained (and this is with worse weather). Most of the money in the bay area used from these fees are used to pay the same people who job it is to supposidly work on making things get better, yet they get worse. Then they tell us that what we need is to pump more money into the system (which more or less means pump money into their pockets)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or