Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
I drive on I-44 many, many times throughout the year and have yet to consider this stretch through Missouri in great shape. Of course MODot is working to improve our roads, however, much really needs to be accomplished in order to call these roads in great shape. Now I-70 is also in need of improvements. Heavy traffic at all times contribute to the deterioration of this interstate.

Then we have Highway 50! Try that one on for size. Some attention to the worst stretches has been made. However, rough spots and pot holes do exist. The best highway IMHO at this time is '63' from Jefferson City to Columbia, MO. Even as far south towards Rolla it is in very good shape.
They may not be in GREAT shape, but they are not in bad shape either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 05:03 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Any city in the South has a bit of an advantage since the roads don't have the constant freeze-thaw and plow damage that roads in the snowy areas have. Even with that, some roads in the South suck big time. In SC, some roads would go years and years without being resurfaced. I remember lots of sun-bleached stretches of road that had been around for a decade or more. Up here in Chicago, between heavy use and cold weather, massive, tire-popping potholes can appear overnight. I hit one getting onto Lakeshore Drive from Michigan Ave and not only popped a tire, but cracked my rim as well. The whole section of Lakeshore above Irving Park is still on reduced speed awaiting resurfacing this summer. Not great...

Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,550 times
the worst roads would have to be Illinois in my opinion, I-88 has be under construction for the last 6 years, I-294 has been under construction since it was built back in the 1980s, I-94 well anybody lives in the chicago metro area knows, I-55 is a parking lot, I-355 well they dont know the hell they are doing with that road, the two nice roads in the state are I-55 south of joliet, and I-57 south of Kankakee, and sad part abought those two roads is that they are not even toll roads and the others are.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times
potholes galore throughout Providence and Boston its all due to the weather and lack of funding. Big Dig - boston, unions and state debt in RI.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:30 PM

28 posts, read 85,159 times
i would say that Texas has the best roads in the country.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,318 times
I think las vegas has the best roads. seems like the roads are always smoothe

Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Missourri has okay roads, and surprisingly, Mississippi's are not really that bad IMO. Texas has the best roads. Not sure where California came into the awesome roads equation, I've never heard anything very positive like I do about Texas. Call me sheltered

On the worst roads list, New York, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. Louisiana's roads are improving every day. A majority of the mediocre roads are back country roads that are not heavily traveled. In Louisiana, the worst place for roads is New Orleans. This is mainly because the ground moves and expands and contracts so much. It is almost impossible to keep a freshly paved road completely smooth for more than a few years. In contrast, roads in northern Louisiana, where the soil is more stable, and traffic is much lighter, are comparably better than those in South Louisiana.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,420 times
I have been to a lot of states in the midwest and northeast. That being said:

BEST: WEST VIRGINIA and DELAWARE (neither of which anyone has mentioned)
WORST: PENNSYLVANIA hands down...........and i'll throw Illinois metro area in there too.
(I don't know why someone said Indiana is bad??.......)

Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
I'll put down Louisiana as the worst. In terms of overall quality, Michigan is pretty even with them, and Louisiana doesn't have the same wicked freeze/thaw cycles to deal with, problems with settling or no. It's amazing how the road quality on I-10 drops so quickly once you cross the MS/LA state line.

Floirda's roads are well built, but everyone's working off a transportation grid plan that was developed when there were only 7-8 million people in the state and the result is a tendency toward voercrowding.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:54 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Michigan's roads are awful. This winter has been extremely hard on them. They are literally falling apart before my eyes. They are worse on the drive home from work than they were on the way in.

I think there would be more people listing Michigan at the top, but the rest of the country doesn't experience our roads unless they are coming HERE. You don't need to drive through Michigan to get anywhere, really, except maybe Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City