Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM

206 posts, read 439,859 times

Advertisements

If your're talking about paved roads, I hate to say that Michigan has got to be one of the worst. I live here, so I know. Potholes galore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:31 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
If your're talking about paved roads, I hate to say that Michigan has got to be one of the worst. I live here, so I know. Potholes galore.
Detroit yes, no doubt the roads stink, but overall we really don't have that bad of roads compared to many other states I have been to over the last year. Best I have driven is Ohio, worst was Mass. but those are just based on Freeway travel for 90% of my travel through those states.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM

206 posts, read 439,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Detroit yes, no doubt the roads stink, but overall we really don't have that bad of roads compared to many other states I have been to over the last year. Best I have driven is Ohio, worst was Mass. but those are just based on Freeway travel for 90% of my travel through those states.
I just went through Ohio last weekend and what a difference from Detroit. Much better in Ohio, but it is a speed trap also for out-of-state drivers.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 AM

209 posts, read 657,807 times
I would say Michigan. Them potholes sneak up on ya and almost ruin your car. But it seems like there's always construction going on but the roads are not getting better. Also, where I live, their idea of fixing roads is laying that gravel loose stone crap that causes accidents.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:34 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,116 times
If you are talking about state highways, Kentucky has to have some of the worst overall. You can go from a smooth 4 lane highway to a non-graded, no shoulder, one and a half lane death trap instantly when you cross a county line.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:48 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Missourri has okay roads, and surprisingly, Mississippi's are not really that bad IMO. Texas has the best roads. Not sure where California came into the awesome roads equation, I've never heard anything very positive like I do about Texas. Call me sheltered

On the worst roads list, New York, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. Louisiana's roads are improving every day. A majority of the mediocre roads are back country roads that are not heavily traveled. In Louisiana, the worst place for roads is New Orleans. This is mainly because the ground moves and expands and contracts so much. It is almost impossible to keep a freshly paved road completely smooth for more than a few years. In contrast, roads in northern Louisiana, where the soil is more stable, and traffic is much lighter, are comparably better than those in South Louisiana.
This is true about Louisiana roads. We haveto build on what is basically marshland that is subsiding. The asphalt does not last long on the road surface and the underlay is chert, which is very hard rock and very slippery, so you see lots of cracked windshields and accidents caused by wet weather.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,297 times
The worst roads are in Minnesota, particularly in Twin Cities. Most roads are not drivable, makes loud noise, including the highways, and there are constant constructions, lots of detours during summer. The best roads I've driven are in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Personally if you ask me this is a no-brainer. California and Texas have by far the best roads in the nation. Excellent highways. Even the country roads are tar roads that look freshly maintained. Excellent for driving on. Oklahoma has fairly well-maintained roads as does Ohio. Georgia also has excellent quality roads. Some of the states with the worst roads IMO are Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. THese states are among the poorest in the nation. Roads are in terrible shape.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:16 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Very interesting thread. Unfortunately I can only for the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region, but as far as roads go, Virginia & North Carolina have some nice roads, especially the urban freeways. The NJ Turnpike/I-295 is not bad either. The worst road I've been on have to be no doubt PA. I-78 going towards Allentown/Dorney Park was a disaster zone when I was on it last summer.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,655 times
Maryland has the best roads in the country. There's just too much traffic on them.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Personally if you ask me this is a no-brainer. California and Texas have by far the best roads in the nation. Excellent highways. Even the country roads are tar roads that look freshly maintained. Excellent for driving on. Oklahoma has fairly well-maintained roads as does Ohio. Georgia also has excellent quality roads. Some of the states with the worst roads IMO are Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. THese states are among the poorest in the nation. Roads are in terrible shape.
Houston has some of the worst roads ever; one day I'm going to blow out my tires running over the pot holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City