U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,609,013 times

Advertisements

Personally if you ask me this is a no-brainer. California and Texas have by far the best roads in the nation. Excellent highways. Even the country roads are tar roads that look freshly maintained. Excellent for driving on. Oklahoma has fairly well-maintained roads as does Ohio. Georgia also has excellent quality roads. Some of the states with the worst roads IMO are Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. THese states are among the poorest in the nation. Roads are in terrible shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 AM

653 posts, read 3,085,884 times
California, Texas, Colorado have the best roads IMO. Nevada, Oklahoma, Washington have nice roads as well. The worst roads in the nation have to be in the Chicago Metro area.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 PM

66 posts, read 309,668 times
The worst roads in the country, without question, are in Michigan, paticularly on the eastern side of the state. You could fly B-52's in a massive air bombardment over Michigan and the roads would look marginally worse than they are now for motorists.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:03 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,460,557 times
My vote for worst goes to Louisiana, because of the National Minimum Drinking Age act of 1984.

IIRC, Louisiana had federal highway funds withheld for a number of years, because of their refusal to raise the minimum drinking age to 21. This is why their roads look like Bolivia's.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,460,557 times
But, besides Louisiana, I think you could put Mississippi or South Carolina up there too. I realize that this is essentially a pissing contest, and I challenge anyone to demonstrate that their state's roads are worse than my state's roads.

Here's an independent article, which explains the results of a study of state DOT's.

State Report Cards: South Carolina State Government Performance 2005 (http://results.gpponline.org/StateOverview.aspx?id=132&relatedid=1%20target= - broken link)

Quote:
To say South Carolina has some infrastructure problems is to put it mildly. The state's roads are the most underfunded in the land and, partially as a result, the fatality rate is the nation's third-highest per mile. Problems are particularly acute on the 25,000 miles of secondary roads that aren't eligible for federal aid.

Only a small handful of other states have more roads to take care of, and a disproportionate number in South Carolina are narrow and poorly lit two-lane roads that wind their way through rural counties.

Or, you can take it from The State DOT website.

Quote:
South Carolina has the fourth largest state-maintained highway system in the nation. Nationally, only 21% of all highways are under state control. In South Carolina, 63% of all highways are under state ownership and control. Yet, South Carolina taxpayers contribute less in state highway taxes than the taxpayers in any other state.
Nearly one-third of South Carolina's primary and Interstate highways are now in poor or mediocre condition.
Approximately half of our secondary roads are in poor or mediocre condition.
One out of every five bridges in the state is considered deficient.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:24 PM

134 posts, read 498,236 times
Pennsylvania hands down, at least that is what the truckers say.

e T r u c k e r --OVERDRIVE MAGAZINE -- The voice of the American Trucker. Providing truck driving jobs, news, and business services for the over the road trucker.

That article is from the 2005 rankings, but PA was ranked worst in 5 of the last 10 years.

In 2006 Louisiana was worst and PA followed right behind it. Although it was mentioned in the 2006 report that a lot of Louisiana's poor roads were due severe Hurricane Katrina damage.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 PM

154 posts, read 628,428 times
the best roads are in ohio & connecticut. the worst, without a doubt, is rhode island.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,151,352 times
In driving cross-country, I distinctly remember the roads in Arkansas being absolutely horrific. Potholed, too narrow in some spots, too wide in others, no guardrails in places where there should have been, no lighting, lane markings were faded or old ones hadn't been painted over, random gravel or other things on the road. Maybe I just drove through after a twister or something.

Best? I don't know if I'd say they're the best, but actually all things considered, the roads here in Virginia are remarkably good. They're generally smooth, well-lit and with clear lane markings and signage. Now the drivers who drive ON these roads, that's another story...

Old 06-22-2007, 01:08 AM

115 posts, read 437,227 times
All I know is there's no such thing as a merge lane in Reno. I think the engineer's plan was "hope for the best".

Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 AM

108 posts, read 455,533 times
Michigan definately has the worst roads in the country...Illinois is also pretty bad.

I lived in South Carolina, and wouldn't consider the state even close to the worst in the country....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or