Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Okay, but you're still comparing CSA populations vs a MSA population.

Do you really want me to share all the forbes, businessweek, etc articles on Augusta?
I can see your argument about the CSA vs MSA and I understand why you want a fair comparison. But what you have to understand is that the natives of NC do not view Durham and Raleigh as 2 different MSAs, the same way Cali folks see the Bay Area as one region and not SJ and SF metros. That's why the Primary Statistical areas are important because it is the best way to give cities and their surrounding areas a fair assessment overall.

By all means share all the articles you want but understand their are just as many articles that may favor other cities or discredit Augusta as well. Even still, with those articles, Augusta still has half the economical size of Richmond and Raleigh and an even smaller DMA than them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:13 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
Quote:

Do you really want me to share all the forbes, businessweek, etc articles on Augusta?
Are you seriously trying to get into a battle Forbes, Newsweek, etc. rankings with someone from Raleigh??? Raleigh has been topping those lists for YEARS now dude. I think you're a bit delirious at this point.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,007,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Are you seriously trying to get into a battle Forbes, Newsweek, etc. rankings with someone from Raleigh??? Raleigh has been topping those lists for YEARS now dude. I think you're a bit delirious at this point.
I bet Augusta can go toe to toe with Raleigh on the Forbes and Businessweek 2010 articles... I'm not a bit delirious, you guys continue to underestimate Augusta..

Raleigh may win on the Newsweek articles...

Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
I bet Augusta can go toe to toe with Raleigh on the Forbes and Businessweek 2010 articles... I'm not a bit delirious, you guys continue to underestimate Augusta..

Raleigh may win on the Newsweek articles...
Raleigh could eat Augusta for lunch, and not even burp.

You are WAY over-reaching here. Augusta is not even near the level you seem to want it to be.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Here's Raleigh's list: http://www.raleighchamber.org/files/accolades_flr.pdf (broken link)

Welcome to Raleigh NC Properties

Augusta doesn't even come CLOSE to this dude.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
Quote:

If the Census Bureau thought that there was something significant to report in addition to the MSA for Augusta, they would have done so. If you want to compare MSA's alone, that's fine too because the three county Raleigh/Cary MSA has about 1.2 million people. So does Richmond's. That's more than double what you have in Augusta's MSA. Wake County alone has over 900,000 people in it. Raleigh, at 144 square miles of land is over 400,000 alone. What is so hard to understand about Augusta being in a lower league of cities? Augusta's only the second largest city in Georgia because they annexed practically the entire county. At over 300 square miles, the city limits alone are larger than Charlotte's yet Augusta is only 28% of Charlotte's population.

Raleigh's growth rate has been among the highest of any MSA in the nation and it might be at the very top of the fastest growing MSA's over 1 million since the last Census. Additionally, it's projected to be the fastest growing MSA through 2025: reaching almost 1.9 million people in its current 3 county format. The CSA is projected to be almost 2.6 million when you include immediately adjacent Durham.

If you want to start a comparison game of accolades, bring it on. Raleigh's accolades a mile long. I have dozens of bookmarks that I could share.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:06 PM

This is only a small sample of the 2009-2010 rankings for Augusta... The list doesn't include any 2006-2008 rankings..

1. Kraft's Single Best Town in America Finalist
2. Southeast Construction #9 in the Southeast For New Housing Construction
3. Metro Monitor – 23rd among the strongest metro performances across 4 indicators
4. Miliken Institue/Greenstreet Real Estate Partners – Augusta is ranked #82nd Best Performing Cities Index (components include job, wages & salary and technology growth)
5. Metro Monitor-7th Best economy in the United States
6. Metro Monitor-18th strongest economy
7. Forbes #5 in the nation “Best Bang For the Buck” Cities
8. Forbes #22 Fastest Recovering Cities in America
9. Business Week #23 “Forty Strongest Metro Economies”
10. Business Week #11 “America’s 25 Next Recovering Job Markets”
11. Business Week #6 “Strongest Building Markets for Housing”
12. Business Week #21 “30 Strongest Housing Markets in the United States”
13. Forbes #44 “100 Cities Where Americans Are Getting Richer”
14. #9 Best Cities For Moms in America
15. #22 Best Midsized Cities For Job Growth
16. Voted one of America's Top 100 Rated Cities
17. #89 on the Top 100 Fun Cities
18. Voted one of the Best Georgia retirement communities
19. Forbes #18 ''America's 25 strongest housing Markets''
20. Relocate America top 100 cities
21. CNN 11 Cities that are beating the recession
22. Parenting.Com 2010 best cities for families

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Columbus, Athens, and Augusta are consolidated with the county. Augusta is not consolidated with the entire county and there are separate cities in RC who have they're own govts, police force, away from Augusta...

Augusta is still the largest metro in GA by far...

Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
This is only a small sample of the 2009-2010 rankings for Augusta... The list doesn't include any 2006-2008 rankings..

1. Kraft's Single Best Town in America Finalist
2. Southeast Construction #9 in the Southeast For New Housing Construction
3. Metro Monitor – 23rd among the strongest metro performances across 4 indicators
4. Miliken Institue/Greenstreet Real Estate Partners – Augusta is ranked #82nd Best Performing Cities Index (components include job, wages & salary and technology growth)
5. Metro Monitor-7th Best economy in the United States
6. Metro Monitor-18th strongest economy
7. Forbes #5 in the nation “Best Bang For the Buck” Cities
8. Forbes #22 Fastest Recovering Cities in America
9. Business Week #23 “Forty Strongest Metro Economies”
10. Business Week #11 “America’s 25 Next Recovering Job Markets”
11. Business Week #6 “Strongest Building Markets for Housing”
12. Business Week #21 “30 Strongest Housing Markets in the United States”
13. Forbes #44 “100 Cities Where Americans Are Getting Richer”
14. #9 Best Cities For Moms in America
15. #22 Best Midsized Cities For Job Growth
16. Voted one of America's Top 100 Rated Cities
17. #89 on the Top 100 Fun Cities
18. Voted one of the Best Georgia retirement communities
19. Forbes #18 ''America's 25 strongest housing Markets''
20. Relocate America top 100 cities
21. CNN 11 Cities that are beating the recession
22. Parenting.Com 2010 best cities for families
Raleigh's list absolutely DWARFS this as the links I cited earlier prove. And some of those really aren't anything special. I certainly wouldn't cite the fact that my city was ranked #89 of the top 100 cities. One of the best GA retirement cities is regional. Finally, Raleigh ranks near the top of most of these lists.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Augusta is still the largest metro in GA by far...
Yep, "delirious" is the right word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City