Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
ahah, I can see plenty of people down the street and getting of peach tree does not automatically take you to a suburb. This is cherry picking at its finest.
I just went from there all the way through buckhead and the majority of the entire area is dominated by chains. The same type of amenities I would expect to find in Chicagoland somewhere like Schaumburg or Naperville. Or if I am in the Bay Area, typical of Walnut Creek type stuff. Somebody posted that hotel in another thread and thought I would check it out, then my adventure led on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,825,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
Please refrain from comparing ATL to NYC when it comes to hiphop music. Yes, ATL is running the charts right now and thus they are currently wearing the hiphop crown. But, go and read the tiny inscription inside of that crown; it says "Made in New York". Its actually quite depressing to see what ATL has done to hiphop; please, return it back to its owner .

LMAO man oh man-- I cannot beleive it when ATL has the nerve to act superior to NY in hiphop. When did it become cool for Danielson to diss Mr. Miyagi?

Sorry that was a bit of a rant-- I'm just so sick of hearing people in ATL say stuff like this (not necessarily people on CD, you guys actually seem to understand this concept for the most part)

In All honesty can you give some respect to Atlanta and Buckhead
Atlanta | ATL | 404 | 2 BUSY 2 H8 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
respect for what, I see denser more urban stuff in the suburbs here. it is nothing special.

burbs in other cities are denser in many cases and often dense as your actual main night life area and downtown. they have as much stuff going on as atlanta's most prominent neighborhood.

looks like suburban cities anywhere else, sorry but it is true.

this is chicago suburbs, yes they have downtowns too (gasp)

Imageshack - 58355970.jpg

this is ny suburbs

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Downtown_White_PLains.gif (broken link)

having a few tall buildings doesn't change anything. this is almost about 25 miles north of manhattan.

they are both much farther out than say hoboken which is a hop skip from manhattan, whatever though.

Last edited by grapico; 10-26-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM

442 posts, read 822,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
respect for what, I see denser more urban stuff in the suburbs here. it is nothing special.

burbs in other cities are denser in many cases and often dense as your actual main night life area and downtown. they have as much stuff going on as atlanta's most prominent neighborhood.

looks like suburban cities anywhere else, sorry but it is true.

this is chicago suburbs, yes they have downtowns too (gasp)

Imageshack - 58355970.jpg

this is ny suburbs

having a few tall buildings doesn't change anything. this is almost about 25 miles north of manhattan.

they are both much farther out than say hoboken which is a hop skip from manhattan, whatever though.

New York and Chicago are more then twice as big as Atlanta, how is this even a fair comparison. Plenty of suburbs have downtowns outside those cities and in Atlanta by the way and Buckhead isn't even downtown.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
where is everybody

5 Auburn Avenue Northeast, Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

? I see a KFC, Taco Bell, Ritz Calrton, Roly Poly. looks like a ghost town.

I am going down peach tree since this is the spot of all the action by posters, I see Ted's Montana Grill, Uncle Julios, Mellow Mushroom, Benihana, Houston's and a Walmart Super center a few roads off.

Further up I see Fado's Irish Pub, Cheesecake Factory, Yoberry, Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Dick's Sporting Good's, Maggiano's Little Italy, Borders, AMC, Teavana, Johnny Rockets, IHOP, Gordon Biersch Brewery, Sports Authority, Edwin Watts, Publix, Outback Steakhouse, Jimmy Johns

WTF is special about that? Every single one of those places is a chain. Yeah there a few non chain but the majority is just chains u will find anywhere usa. Is that supposed to be access? Call me a snob or what you will but I wouldn't be going to those places. That is what I think of when I think bland suburbs. I'm not so sure now looking further that Hoboken even needs Manhattan access next to it to win this. Call me a snob or what you will but just spent about 20 minutes looking around and I am not impressed with the offerings there.

Soon as I get off peach tree all I see is suburban cul de sac's
I welcome anybody to follow peach tree street and look at it themselves.

LOL, it looks like have another Google Maps tourist. Why anyone should take any of the above seriously over the experience of people who actually live in the place is beyond me.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
New York and Chicago are more then twice as big as Atlanta, how is this even a fair comparison. Plenty of suburbs have downtowns outside those cities and in Atlanta by the way and Buckhead isn't even downtown.
Portland has a more walkable and denser downtown than Atlanta, as well as denser for the city itselef, it has more stops and longer track length on its light rail than MARTA. It is almost 3x smaller in CSA. Next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL, it looks like have another Google Maps tourist. Why anyone should take any of the above seriously over the experience of people who actually live in the place is beyond me.
Is google maps wrong? Is peach tree not the main drag going through Buckhead? What is so funny? Do you think those are comparable amenities to Manhattan? Do you think are even comparable to Hoboken itself. Would I see different stuff if I was there randomly appear by a mirage?

It actually makes a lot of sense to trust what people who have traveled widely think than to people who have never left Atlanta or the South too much. That way they can do a better job of comparing.

Look, I get it Atlanta is urban for Georgia and Urban for the deep south. It is as good as it gets. You share the country with 100 millions of other people though. It is not urban whatsoever by North East Standards. It is not urban by West Coast Standards, and it is not urban by Midwest Standards. It is not urban by United States standards, you know, the country Atlanta happens to reside in. It is not urban by North American standards. It is not by world standards either.

Calling Atlanta urban or mostly urban, whatever you guys want to do to make you think you live in this urban wonderland, hit the jackpot now in Atlanta filled with amenities is what the rest of us call being provincial in mindset.

Atlanta, at least some of the posters on here have something called illusory superiority.

Illusory superiority is a cognitive bias that causes people to overestimate their positive qualities and abilities and to underestimate their negative qualities, relative to others. This is evident in a variety of areas including intelligence, performance on tasks or tests and the possession of desirable characteristics or personality traits.

You have this outlook on Atlanta as the great big place in the sky, but people outside of it in other cities aren't that impressed. What passes as bustling nightlife there and amenities is comparable to many other suburbs in regions of the U.S.

Nobody cares about it that much to be honest, the reason you get so many posters talking about it because you have so many of the posters of Atlanta trying to play it up as something it isn't.

Last edited by grapico; 10-26-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
Last I checked this guy was not from anywhere near the south.

You know the funny thing is he can actually rap.

Its just a marketing ploy. He basically just exploiting rap for what it is right now, BULL SH** and making alot of money in the process

he can go from that^ to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWpMZgbhmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxE5C...eature=related

Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 PM

531 posts, read 1,137,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post

Dude, I respect Atlanta and Buckhead for what they are. The only reason I seem like I'm criticizing them all the time is because a select few on here are DETERMINED to make Atlanta out to be something its not.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM

531 posts, read 1,137,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Google maps gives a more objective view of a place than homers on CD who desperately want to make ATL out to be something its not--and will cherry pick data/images and twist all types of facts to support their claims.

I really liked Atlanta until a discovered CD, lol--and I bet I'm not alone here. I think it's definitely time for you guys to abort "mission over-hype Atlanta" ASAP.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,408,789 times
Quote:
where is everybody

5 Auburn Avenue Northeast, Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

? I see a KFC, Taco Bell, Ritz Calrton, Roly Poly. looks like a ghost town.

I am going down peach tree since this is the spot of all the action by posters, I see Ted's Montana Grill, Uncle Julios, Mellow Mushroom, Benihana, Houston's and a Walmart Super center a few roads off.

Further up I see Fado's Irish Pub, Cheesecake Factory, Yoberry, Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Dick's Sporting Good's, Maggiano's Little Italy, Borders, AMC, Teavana, Johnny Rockets, IHOP, Gordon Biersch Brewery, Sports Authority, Edwin Watts, Publix, Outback Steakhouse, Jimmy Johns

WTF is special about that? Every single one of those places is a chain. Yeah there a few non chain but the majority is just chains u will find anywhere usa. Is that supposed to be access? Call me a snob or what you will but I wouldn't be going to those places. That is what I think of when I think bland suburbs. I'm not so sure now looking further that Hoboken even needs Manhattan access next to it to win this. Call me a snob or what you will but just spent about 20 minutes looking around and I am not impressed with the offerings there.

Soon as I get off peach tree all I see is suburban cul de sac's
I welcome anybody to follow peach tree street and look at it themselves.
It's easy to make any place seem bland when you emphasis the ordinary and ignore everything else. Like how you ignore all the exclusive to Atlanta shops and restaurants and how you ignore the fact that in that Google map picture you reference to not only are there people but there is one of the oldest skyscrapers in the World right there in that picture. The Flat Iron building. Older than it's alter in New York City. And nobody's saying Atlanta is New York or Chicago the comparison is between Buckhead and Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City