Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,931,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Portland has a more walkable and denser downtown than Atlanta,
Portland and Atlanta actually have about the same level of population density (Portland 4200 ppsm, Atlanta 4100 ppsm) and nearly same city size. It would stand to reason that it is not possible for it to be denser but more equal. Perhaps Portland's downtown is "denser" (whatever that means) than Downtown Atlanta but Portland doesn't have anything on the scale of the combination of Downtown and Midtown in Atlanta which is one huge area. '

Quote:
t has more stops and longer track length on its light rail than MARTA. It is almost 3x smaller in CSA. Next.
Portland's light rail while longer than MARTA's heavy rail only manages half of the daily ridership of Atlanta's rail.

Oh, and just so you know Portlands light rail is longer than the following subways:

-Boston (38 miles of track)
-Miami (22 miles of track)
-Baltimore (15 miles of track)
-Philly SEPTA (24 Miles of track)

Explain how you could make a correlation that Portlands light rail is better than the transit options in Atlanta because of how many miles of track and stops its light rail has and not level the same criticisms against the above cities? Oh, that's right, because it would be silly.

MARTA is the 7th most used subway in the country and the 9th most used public transit system. Portland, while having a nice system, does not have better transit than the city of Atlanta nor is it even in the top 10 best in the country. Next.

Quote:
Is google maps wrong?
There is nothing wrong with using Google maps to tour around, but thinking you could speak intelligently on a city because of what you see on there is beyond wrong. It is almost intellectually being aloof.

For instance, based on the link posted you made the statement "Where are the people?"

Well, here they go, just a few feet away:

Google Maps

As you see, depending on where you look you get a different story.

Google maps is fun, but it is no replacement for actually living in a place.

Quote:
Portland has a more walkable and denser downtown than Atlanta,
Portland and Atlanta actually have about the same level of population density (Portland 4200 ppsm, Atlanta 4100 ppsm) and nearly same city size. It would stand to reason that it is not possible for it to be denser but more equal. Perhaps Portland's downtown is "denser" (whatever that means) than Downtown Atlanta but Portland doesn't have anything on the scale of the combination of Downtown and Midtown in Atlanta which is one huge area. '

Quote:
t has more stops and longer track length on its light rail than MARTA. It is almost 3x smaller in CSA. Next.
Portland's light rail while longer than MARTA's heavy rail only manages half of the daily ridership of Atlanta's rail.

Oh, and just so you know Portlands light rail is longer than the following subways:

-Boston (38 miles of track)
-Miami (22 miles of track)
-Baltimore (15 miles of track)
-Philly SEPTA (24 Miles of track)

Explain how you could make a correlation that Portlands light rail is better than the transit options in Atlanta because of how many miles of track and stops its light rail has and not level the same criticisms against the above cities? Oh, that's right, because it would be silly.

MARTA has the 7th most used subway in the country and the 9th most used public transit system. Portland, while having a nice system, does not have better transit than the city of Atlanta nor is it even in the top 10 best in the country. Next.

Quote:
Is peach tree not the main drag going through Buckhead? What is so funny?
It is indeed the main avenue in Buckhead, but based off of your posting it made it seem like it was nothing but national retail chains when nothing could be further from the truth. Of course it has those chains (it is a big tourist area after all) but it has just as many local options as well from resturants to retail. This is no different than any other city.

Quote:
Do you think those are comparable amenities to Manhattan?
Who would be dumb enough to say that?

Quote:
Do you think are even comparable to Hoboken itself. Would I see different stuff if I was there?
In my estimation it does indeed have far more options than Hoboken. It's 80 times larger than Hoboken and is one of the wealthiest districts in the whole country. To think that it wouldn't have more options is willfully not using commonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,423,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It's easy to make any place seem bland when you emphasis the ordinary and ignore everything else. Like how you ignore all the exclusive to Atlanta shops and restaurants and how you ignore the fact that in that Google map picture you reference to not only are there people but there is one of the oldest skyscrapers in the World right there in that picture. The Flat Iron building. Older than it's alter in New York City. And nobody's saying Atlanta is New York or Chicago the comparison is between Buckhead and Hoboken.
You realize where Hoboken is right? Where are all tehse amenities? in the lennox mall?

Did I lie with all those chain restaurants? Are the overwhelming majority of them chains?

That was just my starting point, b/c somebody was saying a hotel there was the 2nd tallest in the U.S. (which it isn't btw) and wanted to see what a nice hotel had around it. There isn't a single person out on the street, nobody. That wasn't the point though.

waronxmas, the amount of exclusive places just aren't that much man. I can go up to Evanston and get the same stuff. Lets just throw Evanston out, its about 70K people, 9k density over 8 miles. Does Atlanta have anywhere in the city that can hold that kind of amenities in density?

If you were to travel that far in Buckhead, 80 miles thats ridiculous. I would sure hope 80 square miles would have more than tiny Hoboken.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM

442 posts, read 824,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
You know the funny thing is he can actually rap.

Its just a marketing ploy. He basically just exploiting rap for what it is right now, BULL SH** and making alot of money in the process

he can go from that^ to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWpMZgbhmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxE5C...eature=related
Did you just say lil b can rap? Your credibility is dead.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Did you just say lil b can rap? Your credibility is dead.
funny, somebody posting a rap video you don't like, their credibility is now dead.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Portland has a more walkable and denser downtown than Atlanta, as well as denser for the city itselef, it has more stops and longer track length on its light rail than MARTA. It is almost 3x smaller in CSA. Next.

What does that have to do with urban suburbs? Nice strawman.
Quote:
It actually makes a lot of sense to trust what people who have traveled widely think than to people who have never left Atlanta or the South too much. That way they can do a better job of comparing.

Look, I get it Atlanta is urban for Georgia and Urban for the deep south. It is as good as it gets. You share the country with 100 millions of other people though. It is not urban whatsoever by North East Standards. It is not urban by West Coast Standards, and it is not urban by Midwest Standards. It is not urban by United States standards, you know, the country Atlanta happens to reside in. It is not urban by North American standards. It is not by world standards either.

Calling Atlanta urban or mostly urban, whatever you guys want to do to make you think you live in this urban wonderland, hit the jackpot now in Atlanta filled with amenities is what the rest of us call being provincial in mindset.

Atlanta, at least some of the posters on here have something called illusory superiority.

Illusory superiority is a cognitive bias that causes people to overestimate their positive qualities and abilities and to underestimate their negative qualities, relative to others. This is evident in a variety of areas including intelligence, performance on tasks or tests and the possession of desirable characteristics or personality traits.

You have this outlook on Atlanta as the great big place in the sky, but people outside of it in other cities aren't that impressed. What passes as bustling nightlife there and amenities is comparable to many other suburbs in regions of the U.S.

Nobody cares about it that much to be honest, the reason you get so many posters talking about it because you have so many of the posters of Atlanta trying to play it up as something it isn't.
So you hate Atlanta then don't go there. Next.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
funny, somebody posting a rap video you don't like, their credibility is now dead.

Rap credibility. You have to be kidding to think this dude can rap by looking at any of his videos. You can make these rhymes on the jon. He is just rhyming and throwing "dick" out randomly.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
What does that have to do with urban suburbs? Nice strawman.

So you hate Atlanta then don't go there. Next.
wow. you just said atlanta can't play with the big boys, but the minute some place 3x smaller than you has a more walkable downtown and denser, that analogy doesn't help. yeah ok.

sure it has more ridership in atlanta, i would hope so, you have about 4 million more people. it certainly doesn't have more ridership per capita though (the better stat). hell 8% of people in portland bike to work.

So what is worse Atlanta, some cities better than you and its not fair? How then does somewhere like Portland best you? You can't have it both ways.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
wow. you just said atlanta can't play with the big boys, but the minute some place 3x smaller than you has a more walkable downtown and denser, that analogy doesn't help. yeah ok.

sure it has more ridership in atlanta, i would hope so, you have about 4 million more people. it certainly doesn't have more ridership per capita though. hell 8% of people in portland bike to work.
No, you liar, you created a strawman. You said Chicago's and New Yorks suburbs were just as dense as Buckhead and when I called you out you brought up some crap about Portland being more dense in the city and some other stuff about mass transit. Then you say "play with the big boys" like anyone from ATL is comparing it to 2 of the largest metro in the country. If you need Chicago and NYC to beat ATL then I think it is doing fine.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,419,328 times
Quote:
Portland has a more walkable and denser downtown than Atlanta, as well as denser for the city itselef, it has more stops and longer track length on its light rail than MARTA. It is almost 3x smaller in CSA. Next.

Is google maps wrong? Is peach tree not the main drag going through Buckhead? What is so funny? Do you think those are comparable amenities to Manhattan? Do you think are even comparable to Hoboken itself. Would I see different stuff if I was there randomly appear by a mirage?

Look, I get it Atlanta is urban for Georgia and Urban for the deep south. It is as good as it gets. You share the country with 100 millions of other people though. It is not urban whatsoever by North East Standards. It is not urban by West Coast Standards, and it is not urban by Midwest Standards. It is not urban by United States standards, you know, the country Atlanta happens to reside in. It is not urban by North American standards. It is not by world standards either.

Atlanta, at least some of the posters on here have something called illusory superiority.

Illusory superiority is a cognitive bias that causes people to overestimate their positive qualities and abilities and to underestimate their negative qualities, relative to others. This is evident in a variety of areas including intelligence, performance on tasks or tests and the possession of desirable characteristics or personality traits.

You have this outlook on Atlanta as the great big place in the sky, but people outside of it in other cities aren't that impressed. What passes as bustling nightlife there and amenities is comparable to many other suburbs in regions of the U.S.

Nobody cares about it that much to be honest, the reason you get so many posters talking about it because you have so many of the posters of Atlanta trying to play it up as something it isn't.
Why do you keep saying we are comparing Atlanta to Manhattan. I wouldn't compare any other American city to Manhattan. Atlanta supporters feel superior? All we are doing is defending our city from the likes of you who say it's not a city at all. It's you that have a superiority complex. All your life you've been taught that everything down south is inferior and it absolutely kills you to hear anyone say otherwise.

Okay then, Buckhead would be just a typical suburb in the North or West you say. Well show me a suburb where you have this many living choices of this kind and mostly on or near one street. pleeze.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Why do you keep saying we are comparing Atlanta to Manhattan. I wouldn't compare any other American city to Manhattan. Atlanta supporters feel superior? All we are doing is defending our city from the likes of you who say it's not a city at all. It's you that have a superiority complex. All your life you've been taught that everything down south is inferior and it absolutely kills you to hear anyone say otherwise.
How wrong you are. How old are you anyway? I've probably lived more years down south than you. I'm very aware of what exists there. I've only been to Atlanta about 30 times...I know what is there man. Nobody is saying it isn't a city. It just isn't what most people think of as urban city life. I could easily have lived in Atlanta, it doesn't fit what I want in urban life, nor is it even close. I could be closer to my parents, lower cost of living, but in key areas of what I want, Atlanta just doesn't do it.

You want west coast examples? Hrrmm try Silicon Valley.

Try West Hollywood.

BTW, FACT every single one of the main west coast cities, San Diego, LA, SF, Oakland, San Jose, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Sacramento are all denser than ATL. Many of them have suburbs denser than ATL.

LoL @ just defending, please.

You think your city is on the same level or superior, it isn't.

I use google maps because anybody online can look at it objectively vs other cities. Is there something there you don't want them to see?

And yes several posters have gone after Chi or NYC before, maybe not you. Others will definitely go after Philly or Boston though... which is equally a big joke.

If Atlanta is this urban city life, which other urban city life cities *IS* it comparable to then? Lets clear this up once and for all.

Last edited by grapico; 10-26-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City