U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.35%
Hoboken 151 65.65%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,300,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Stop acting like no one has said where these amenities could be found. Yes they are near Lenox and Phipps, but also in the Buckhead village, in Lindbergh, in Peachtree battle, and on and on.

You act as if the presence of chains in a city is:

A.) Unique to Atlanta
B.) The only thing that exists in Buckhead

Just using the Lenox as an example there is:

Bone's Steakhouse - One of the top ten steakhouses in the country according to Zagat, the New York Times, USA Today, Travel and Leisure, and a whole host of others:
Bone´s Review

Au Pied de Cochon - 24 hour french restaurant headed by up and coming Paris native Chef Michael Buard
Home

Market - Upscale Jean-Georges concept (the only US location for one of their restaurants outside Manhattan and Vegas. The only two other restaurants are in Paris and Shanghai)
Market Buckhead - Jean-Georges - fine dining atlanta - restaurants atlanta - buckhead restaurants

Craft - Run by Chef/Owner Tom Colicchio (again, only of two of his restaurants outside Manhattan, Vegas or LA)

Then there are the local Buckhead Life Group's upscale restaurants in the area:

-Bistro Niko - French
-Bluepointe - Modern American
-Kyma - Contemporary Greek
-Buckhead Diner - Upscale diner (thats right, you aren't reading that wrong. French Toast costs $20 there...but it really is the best french toast you will ever have)
-Pricci - Upscale Italian
-Atlanta Fish Market - One of the top seafood restaurants in the country according to Frommer's and Zagat Atlanta Fish Market Awards/Buzz | Buckhead Life Restaurant Group

And there are still more locally owned restaurants just in the Lenox area that more than outweigh what ever chains are in the area.

So yes, the upscale options are that much. That's just the list for a single neighborhood in Buckhead and not even a complete one. There are a several more to choose from and they all have very good dining options. Some of the best in the country.

And while were on Lenox, you may look down on it because it is a mall (I wish it were along the street, but when it was built it made sense to make it a mall) but because of it and Phipps across the street, Buckhead has the highest concentration of upscale boutiques of any district in the country. So there goes a density figure for you. Upscale density.

Atlanta does indeed have the second tallest hotel in the United States. It's a full 1 foot shorter than it's sister in Detroit:
List of tallest hotels in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is not in Buckhead however, so if someone insinuated that then it would be incorrect as it is Downtown.

And that is the point that is being made here. Even if Hoboken were to remove all of its residents and changed every single building into an upscale shopping, dining, or arts destination it STILL would not have more than Buckhead because of its small size. That is biggest distinction between the two. In Hoboken, you would have to travel to Manhattan to get amenities that someone in Buckhead would just have to go around the corner to get to. Before any one adds it, that last sentence is not to mean "Buckhead has everything Manhattan has".
Just another example. The only other Justin's restaurant besides the one in Buckhead is in Harlem as I stated earlier. The nightclub Havanah is the only one of it's kind in America and it attracts big name artist and celebrities like Drake, Common, and the Black Eyed Peas just so far this year among others. Same thing for the Tongue and Groove and Gold Room, Aja restaurant can only be found in New York and Chicago outside Buckhead, MF sushi bar in Buckhead and Midtown are an Atlanta institution and regarded by most critics as about the best you can get when it comes to sushi bars, No suburb in America has a Brazilian Consulate located in it either. Ofcourse I could go on.

And the last time I was in Chicago there were chain stores there. I guess Manhattan is suburban to you as well. I've eaten at McDonalds there and they have Kids R Us, the Gap, Old Navy, Whole Foods, Starbucks, Popeyes chicken, Walgreens, Radio Shack, etc. etc. But for some reason Buckhead must close all it's chain stores and replace them with local stores before it can be considered more than a suburb? I don't get it.

You won't find a suburb in America I doubt with as many mid to highrise condos as Buckhead. You could fit the entire population of Hoboken in them and with 14,000 households living in them it's possible that just that many people do live in them.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-26-2010 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM

6,455 posts, read 6,425,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
LOL. This has to be a joke.

.....right?
Nope. It is true. Between Lenox Mall and Phipps Mall directly across the street, no other two blocks in any city in the United States has as many upscale boutiques in the same location.

Keep in mind this is much different than saying "no other place has as many upscale boutiques" since Miami, NYC, Los Angeles, and Chicago would have more over all...Just not concentrated in to a two block area as you would find near Lenox and Phipps.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,877,003 times
Quote:

Atlanta and Portland eerily look very much alike, but that's it. Portland is no where near Atlanta's level and if you think so you don't know much about cities. Our peers would be Dallas, Houston, Miami and DC in everything else.
Portland is certainly at Atlanta's level for city life and access. I would love to see the argument it isn't. We aren't talking about importance.

Your peer is DC? That's a joke, go see a psychiatrist for delusions of grandeur.

I'm done with this thread.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Portland is certainly at Atlanta's level for city life and access. I would love to see the argument it isn't. We aren't talking about importance.
No where close. It just isn't. You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
Your peer is DC?
As a city and metro, yes it is. Similar metro population, similar demographics, both known for their prominent and affluent African-American population, even our subways are built with the same technology and rolling stock.

Of course, when you throw in the Federal government its isn't, but even NYC can not compete with that. If you thinking looks then of course not too, but none of the cities I listed (Dallas, Houston, Miami, DC, Atlanta) look like one another. All five have their own style, architecture, and vibe. It's only in the world of C-D some of those cities get lumped together as being identical in looks.

Quote:
That's a joke, go see a psychiatrist for delusions of grandeur. i'm done with this thread.
I'll see your off handed insult, and raise you a crying Dawson for your less than graceful exit.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,300,841 times
Quote:

I'll see your off handed insult, and raise you a crying Dawson for your less than graceful exit.
LOL.

He just doesn't get it. In 2010 a city doesn't have to look like Chicago or the East Coast cities to offer urban amenities. You really need to come back down to Atlanta and try again if you couldn't get anything more than surburban living in Buckhead. I don't know how you managed that.

Not saying that Atlanta is New York or Chicago but if you can't get more urban living out of Atlanta than Portland I seriously can't understand what you must be doing wrong.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 PM

442 posts, read 394,779 times
Lol, Grapico doesn't think DC is a peer to ATL and that Portland is on the same level as ATL I think he is either on some delusional mission or he think "urbanity" is the end all be all of a city.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 PM

115 posts, read 25,496 times
Quote:
Nope. It is true. Between Lenox Mall and Phipps Mall directly across the street, no other two blocks in any city in the United States has as many upscale boutiques in the same location.

Keep in mind this is much different than saying "no other place has as many upscale boutiques" since Miami, NYC, Los Angeles, and Chicago would have more over all...Just not concentrated in to a two block area as you would find near Lenox and Phipps.
Midtown Manhattan is a district. Soho is a district. Upper East Side is a district. Chelsea is a district.

I'm sorry but just no...

Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
Midtown Manhattan is a district. Soho is a district. Chelsea is a district.

I'm sorry but just no...
Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant.

Manhattan and it's shopping districts will have way more than Buckhead, as do several other cities.

Midtown Manhattan, SoHo, and Chelsea per your example are all larger individually than the two blocks Lenox mall and Phipps plaza inhabit.

Thus, where the figure "most concentrated area of upscale boutiques" comes from. It's a rather useless factoid to spurt out because it doesn't really mean much (just like randomly throwing out population density) and it certainly doesn't mean that Buckhead can compete with Manhattan for upscale boutiques in any of it's shopping districts.

Of course, I am betting good money the above explanation will get totally ignored by a poster or two.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM

531 posts, read 584,540 times
WOW-- this is ridiculous you got the 3-5 Atlanta homers all tag-team attacking grapico for exposing the realities of Atlanta. Instead of attacking him, maybe you guys should take a peak at the poll results and realize YOU'RE the ones in the minority here!! The poll isn't even close--stop trying to compensate for this by swarming on anyone who gives reasons for why the results are the way they are. lmao. you guys crack me up...

Atlantagreg--hurry up and close this thread before these locals make your city look any worse; its not far to Atlanta.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM

70 posts, read 13,351 times
Quote:
Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant.

Manhattan and it's shopping districts will have way more than Buckhead, as do several other cities.

Midtown Manhattan, SoHo, and Chelsea per your example are all larger individually than the two blocks Lenox mall and Phipps plaza inhabit.

Thus, where the figure "most concentrated area of upscale boutiques" comes from. It's a rather useless factoid to spurt out because it doesn't really mean much (just like randomly throwing out population density) and it certainly doesn't mean that Buckhead can compete with Manhattan for upscale boutiques in any of it's shopping districts.

Of course, I am betting good money the above explanation will get totally ignored by a poster or two.
Buckhead does not begin and stop at Lenox Hill and Philps Plaza. Buckhead is a pretty large district and can't compete with Manhattan's districts when it comes to anything luxury. Buckhead is as large the Midtown East District, for instance, which goes from 42nd - 59th Streets. Not large in land area at all.

Do you honestly think Buckhead compares to the Midtown East District?

Um, NO.

It can't even compete with the 0.2 mile stretch in the heart of the Madison Avenue shopping district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City