Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM

531 posts, read 1,137,952 times

Advertisements

In terms of upscale boutiques Buckhead is more like Marfa, Texas than Manhattan:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:1,s:0

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 10-26-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM

70 posts, read 86,245 times
And let's step away from Midtown Business District make this easier.

Meatpacking District (which is in Downtown Manhattan) vs Buckhead District.

Buckhead (District)

Armani, Gucci, Versace, Fendi, Burberry, Louis Vuitton

Meatpacking District

Stella McCartney, Maison Martin Margiela, Alexander McQueen, Christian Louboutin, Jeffrey New York (which carries Fendi and Armani), Diane Von Furstenburg, La Perla, Scoop, Helmut Lang, Burberry Prorsum, Yohji Yamamoto

Not to mention the most exclusive nightlife. And a far more glamorous and fashionable atmosphere.

Basically Buckhead has all the stores you could find in a single mall in New Jerey, such as the mall in Paramus (which has more luxury shops than the entire Buckhead). Or a mall in Houston. Armani, Gucci,.....*yawn*. None are really too high fashion, more like mass produced higher end fashion.

Meatpacking District has the the most exclusive stores that commoners in the United States can't pronounce that you could only find in Paris and Milan.

Last edited by 10013; 10-26-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post
Buckhead does not begin and stop at Lenox Hill and Philps Plaza.
It's Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza, but yes, you are correct. That stat was just for those two malls combine.

Quote:
Buckhead is a pretty large district and can't compete with Manhattan's districts when it comes to anything luxury.
Never said it did.

Quote:
Buckhead is as large the Midtown East District, for instance, which goes from 42nd - 59th Streets. Not large in land area at all.
No, that is not correct. Buckhead as a district is 80 square miles and has 40 neighborhoods and is far larger in size than Manhattan. People often mistake (and it really depends on how you look at it) the Lenox/Phipps, Buckhead Village, and Tuxedo park and a couple of neighborhoods surrounding those areas to be the entirety of Buckhead when in reality it is not (that was the old Buckhead pre-annexation...sort of).

Quote:
Do you honestly think Buckhead compares to the Midtown East District?

Um, NO.

It can't even compete with the 0.2 mile stretch in the heart of the Madison Avenue shopping district.
I do not and I predicted this would happen in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas
it certainly doesn't mean that Buckhead can compete with Manhattan for upscale boutiques in any of it's shopping districts.

Of course, I am betting good money the above explanation will get totally ignored by a poster or two.

Guess you missed that part...

Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
And let's step away from Midtown Business District make this easier.

Meatpacking District (which is in Downtown Manhattan) vs Buckhead District.

Buckhead (District)

Armani, Gucci, Versace, Fendi, Burberry, Louis Vuitton

Meatpacking District

Stella McCartney, Maison Martin Margiela, Alexander McQueen, Jeffrey New York, Diane Von Furstenburg, La Perla, Scoop, Christian Louboutin, Helmut Lang, Burberry Prorsum, Yohji Yamamoto

Not to mention the most exclusive nightlife.

Basically Buckhead has all the stores you could find in a single mall in New Jerey, such as the mall in Paramus. Or a mall in Houston. Armani, Gucci,.....*yawn*. Paramus mall in New Jersey has more luxury shops than the entire Buckhead.

Meatpacking District has the the most exclusive stores that commoners in the United States can't pronounce that you could only find in Paris and Milan.
Post #1068

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas
it certainly doesn't mean that Buckhead can compete with Manhattan for upscale boutiques in any of it's shopping districts.

Of course, I am betting good money the above explanation will get totally ignored by a poster or two.

Keep on proving me true or, you know, read.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 PM

All there's really left to say in this debate is..........

.....SCCCOOOREEEEBOOAAARRDDDDDD

Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
In terms of upscale boutiques Buckhead is more like Marfa, Texas than Manhattan:

Google Image Result for http://www.fashionrat.com/images/prada-store-in-the-middle-of-the-desert1.jpg
That doesn't even make any sense ...if you knew how to link properly that is.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 PM

70 posts, read 86,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza, but yes, you are correct. That stat was just for those two malls combine.

Never said it did.

No, that is not correct. Buckhead as a district is 80 square miles and has 40 neighborhoods and is far larger in size than Manhattan. People often mistake (and it really depends on how you look at it) the Lenox/Phipps, Buckhead Village, and Tuxedo park and a couple of neighborhoods surrounding those areas to be the entirety of Buckhead when in reality it is not (that was the old Buckhead pre-annexation...sort of).

I do not and I predicted this would happen in this post:

Guess you missed that part...
Someone presented us with a link boasting of Buckhead having the highest concentration of luxury shopping as a district. WRONG.

Pure delusions of grandeur.

That person has clearly never been to Manhattan, Beverly Hills, South Florida....or even Las Vegas!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:42 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,411,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
WOW-- this is ridiculous you got the 3-5 Atlanta homers all tag-team attacking grapico for exposing the realities of Atlanta. Instead of attacking him, maybe you guys should take a peak at the poll results and realize YOU'RE the ones in the minority here!! The poll isn't even close--stop trying to compensate for this by swarming on anyone who gives reasons for why the results are the way they are. lmao. you guys crack me up...

Atlantagreg--hurry up and close this thread before these locals make your city look any worse; its not far to Atlanta.
Nobodys saying that Buckhead can compete with Hoboken teamed up with Jersey City and Manhattan. That was a senseless comparison to begin with. Where the last bit of arguing came in is when your friend tried to say Buckhead is no different from suburbs of cities up North and out West. To which I argued that may look true (looking at bits and pieces of google map) but is far from the case. To which he answered Atlanta is on the same level as Portland. Which is just ridiculous. That's all we're saying. In other words we've admitted Hoboken+Manhattan has us beat it's when you guys keep throwing in those extra jabs like Atlanta=Tampa or whatever that we keep objecting to.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM

Sorry, I should have figured you'd be too lazy to click the link.

As I was saying, in terms of upscale boutique options Buckhead is more like Marfa, TX than Manhattan:

Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 PM

442 posts, read 822,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
doesn't mean that Buckhead can compete with Manhattan for upscale boutiques in any of it's shopping districts.
I like how this was ignored and I see why. Someone says something about Atlanta in a sentence with a city a ATL hater loves or feels is better and then they claim we are comparing so and so city to Atlanta.

I mean just look at it. He even put the disclaimer up and people still thought he was comparing Manhattan to Buckhead. Are you people dumb or just trolls? Read what is says above. This stuff happens all the time any time Atlanta is mentioned with another city someone creates a stupid strawman about someone else claiming ATL is better or something. You people make me sick. This site is turning into trash. Why wont you people get lives? Who sits here and ignores a disclaimer just to create strawmen to bash a danm city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City