Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,410,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I like how this was ignored and I see why. Someone says something about Atlanta in a sentence with a city a ATL hater loves or feels is better and then they claim we are comparing so and so city to Atlanta.

I mean just look at it. He even put the disclaimer up and people still thought he was comparing Manhattan to Buckhead. Are you people dumb or just trolls? Read what is says above. This stuff happens all the time any time Atlanta is mentioned with another city someone creates a stupid strawman about someone else claiming ATL is better or something. You people make me sick. This site is turning into trash. Why wont you people get lives? Who sits here and ignores a disclaimer just to create strawmen to bash a danm city?
Don't let it get to you. I actually think it's funny that grown men actually profess a hatred of a city for any reason. I haven't been immature enough to actually say I hate any american city since I was in my early teens.

And why? For instance I stated that you can get a Fendi bag and something from Saks and dinner at the Palms quicker if you lived at one of several different condos in Buckhead than if you lived in Hoboken where you would have to travel into Midtown Manhattan to get the same things.

This unleased a whirlwind of remarks where people were furiously accusing me of saying Buckhead was better than Manhattan!!??? Then they went on to say it was because of this ill concieved arrogance of Atlanta's posters that so many people hated us. Wow. That sounds both confused and mentaly unhealthy at the same time.

The last poster had this weird notion that he could look at a google map and see how urban Buckhead looked on it and then know what city it compares to. This is totally flawed. I admit when I lived in Columbus Ohio many parts of it looked and felt like Atlanta. But did it offer everything you can get in Atlanta? No way. Same thing goes for Portland. For instance looking at those google maps you can't see the subway trains rumbling beneath your feet. You can't tell that there are very nice lobbys,bars, restaurants, coffe shops, etc. inside the base of many of those highrises. A bar or club in Atlanta on google map may look the same as one in Portland or Tampa but the one in Atlanta may have a party with A-list artist performing there several times a year while the other one may never have that. On the other hand some parts of Cleveland, Detroit and Cincinnati look urban as heck on google map but have almost no one living there, no stores, no nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,900,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
Sorry, I should have figured you'd be too lazy to click the link.

As I was saying, in terms of upscale boutique options Buckhead is more like Marfa, TX than Manhattan:

You really can't possibly be that naive, can you?

Last edited by waronxmas; 10-26-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 10:44 AM

499 posts, read 663,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
LOL @ still not being able to back up any of your density claims.
Just admit you that you're pulling things out of your ass to keep Silver Spring in the discussion.

You can fit 9 Hobokens in Silver Spring. 9 Hobokens = 387,000 people. (Silver Spring = 82,000 people)
If Hoboken was to be 9 square miles, it would have gobble up all of Jersey City's financial district and more.. Silver Spring can't compete. Silver Spring isn't even an incorporated area, it's just an "Area" -Even Hobokens wikipedia page is longer and more detailed than Silver Springs

Anyway, you're the one making this a Hoboken Vs SS thing.
I said SS Vs Buckhead is a more logical comparison- But you knew I liked Hoboken, and since you despised it, you twisted it. (To boost the irrelevance of SS)
Do I have to quote you again? You are the one who keeps bringing up Silver Spring, stop the obsession already, this thread was dead for a while and you went right back to it and mentioned Silver Spring again. Don't want to talk about it? Then you shouldn't mention it.

Show me your sources and I'll show you mine. That goes for kidphilly too. And all of ya obviously don't know a thing about population distribution. Downtown Silver Spring is an area smaller than Hoboken but holds the vast majority of the population, Including the immediate fringes of the CBD there are about 20-25k people in that area alone maybe more. Sorry we don't have offical census figures and its not a CDP which are even contrary to another government agency the postal service and FDA.

But even if there was Census figures you would cry up and down and denounce them, Like you did for Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights which was far more dense than Hoboken. Silver Spring CBD is far more built up than that area and if it was a CDP. The density would probably surpass Hoboken.

Go see a doctor about your density festish, you should be more concerned about how well rounded a place a is and how it balances office, retail and residential. Hobo Hoboken fails miserably at this and is just way too insignificant of a place compared to Silver Spring.

Last edited by TheJetSet; 10-30-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 10:55 AM

"But you knew I liked Hoboken, and since you despised it, you twisted it."

And lol BPerone201, when did it all become about you? Get off your high horse.

I'm indifferent to Hoboken, its you that is obviously envious of Silver Spring since you keep bringing it up out of no where.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I provided data to show the vast difference - from 801 sligo does it exclude the CBD - Silver Spring is somewhere around 10K and hoboken is somewhere around 30K - I have showed and proved this. Silver Spring is fine but not anywhere near the density you discuss - This was just proved

Here is an image

801 Sligo (includes the core CBD area you describe in my 3.14 sq miles)
801 Sligo Avenue, Silver Spring, MD - Google Maps

Now here is 300 Madison in Hoboken
300 Madison Street, Hoboken, NJ - Google Maps

Again am I missing something

Just for good measure Buckhead looks and is more urban than Silver Spring along Peachtree
100 Peachtree Road Northeast, Atlanta, GA - Google Maps
  1. Again, why are you starting from 801 Sligo, which is outside the CBD built up area.
  2. Your software is outdated cause it's definitely not 10k psm, try 20-25k.
  3. You obviously don't understand population distribution and that the D.C. area is comprised of urban distrcts, the vast majority of people are in the Silver Spring CBD, an area smaller than hoboken yet able to fit large corporations, diversity, residences to name a few.
  4. You need to take closer look at the maps.

Last edited by TheJetSet; 10-30-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 11:47 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,288,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post
And let's step away from Midtown Business District make this easier.

Meatpacking District (which is in Downtown Manhattan) vs Buckhead District.

Buckhead (District)

Armani, Gucci, Versace, Fendi, Burberry, Louis Vuitton

Meatpacking District

Stella McCartney, Maison Martin Margiela, Alexander McQueen, Christian Louboutin, Jeffrey New York (which carries Fendi and Armani), Diane Von Furstenburg, La Perla, Scoop, Helmut Lang, Burberry Prorsum, Yohji Yamamoto

Not to mention the most exclusive nightlife. And a far more glamorous and fashionable atmosphere.

Basically Buckhead has all the stores you could find in a single mall in New Jerey, such as the mall in Paramus (which has more luxury shops than the entire Buckhead). Or a mall in Houston. Armani, Gucci,.....*yawn*. None are really too high fashion, more like mass produced higher end fashion.

Meatpacking District has the the most exclusive stores that commoners in the United States can't pronounce that you could only find in Paris and Milan.
How interesting that you convenienty left out Jeffrey Atlanta on your little list. Jeffrey happens to BE from Atlanta, and had his first store here. He also has his annual AIDS & breast cancer fundraising event here.

But I know none of this matters, since you consider Buckhead to be less than some mall in New Jersey.....

Jeffrey (http://www.jeffreynewyork.com/infoframe.html - broken link)

Jeffrey Fashion Cares 2010 ::: 18th Anniversary ::: Monday, August 30th

Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 PM

758 posts, read 1,952,301 times
Why are we now comparing Buckhead to Manhattan??

Buckhead is a SUBURB. There are no sidewalks in 90% of Buckhead. It has NOTHING to do with Manhattan.

Have people actually been to Buckhead? It's a wealthy area with lots of trees and big homes. The commercial center consists of two suburban shopping malls. It looks like maybe outer parts of Bergen County, NJ.

Next up, let's compare Alpharetta, GA to central Tokyo.

Now if you want to compare downtown Atlanta to an urban area, that makes sense, but Buckhead could only be compared to areas like Paramus, White Plains, etc. Even this might be a strech, as White Plains is an older community with very small lots, more apartment buildings and 100% walkable. And White Plains has almost 24 hour rail service.

Now I very much like Buckhead, but you have to be smoking a crack pipe to compare it to Manhattan, or even to a place like Hoboken or the Outer Boroughs of NYC.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,752,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
"But you knew I liked Hoboken, and since you despised it, you twisted it."

And lol BPerone201, when did it all become about you? Get off your high horse.

I'm indifferent to Hoboken, its you that is obviously envious of Silver Spring since you keep bringing it up out of no where.
I didn't bring up Silver Spring to belittle it.
I simply brought it up because I thought it was a better comparison for Buckhead.. You made it seem like something else so you can argue on about Silver Spring, even when there was nothing to argue about- Notice how you are no where to be found unless Silver Spring is brought up- You are LOOKING to argue about noting... You're delusional. I'm sorry there's no other SS threads for you.

Why are you consistently making points about Silver Spring against Hoboken? That was never my intention, that was yours. I'm not on a high horse, I just find it strange that you keep arguing about Silver Spring against Hoboken when I never made a case about it other than "It's a better comparison for Buckhead"

You twisted it for the sake oif arguing... don't lie, you WANTED SS to be mention. Unless you secretly don't like SS being compared to Buckhead, I don't know why you would get so pissy that I even brought Silver Spring up. And then you belittle Hoboken because.... Oh, I'm the one on a high horse.. right.

You' concocted an argument that didn't even follow what I said simply because you wanted to argue about SS somewhere, anywhere.. And to do so, you belittled Hoboken. Then you play the victim "how dare SS be mentioned" as if anyone else gave a crap.

Last edited by BPerone201; 10-30-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 12:30 PM

758 posts, read 1,952,301 times
I'm not even sure if Silver Spring can be compared to Buckhead.

Silver Spring is much denser, older and more walkable than Buckhead.

But yes, it's at least a closer comparison than Hoboken, or Manhattan, LOL.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,752,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Do I have to quote you again? You are the one who keeps bringing up Silver Spring, stop the obsession already, this thread was dead for a while and you went right back to it and mentioned Silver Spring again. Don't want to talk about it? Then you shouldn't mention it.

Show me your sources and I'll show you mine. That goes for kidphilly too. And all of ya obviously don't know a thing about population distribution. Downtown Silver Spring is an area smaller than Hoboken but holds the vast majority of the population, Including the immediate fringes of the CBD there are about 20-25k people in that area alone maybe more. Sorry we don't have offical census figures and its not a CDP which are even contrary to another government agency the postal service and FDA.

But even if there was Census figures you would cry up and down and denounce them, Like you did for Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights which was far more dense than Hoboken. Silver Spring CBD is far more built up than that area and if it was a CDP. The density would probably surpass Hoboken.

Go see a doctor about your density festish, you should be more concerned about how well rounded a place a is and how it balances office, retail and residential. Hobo Hoboken fails miserably at this and is just way too insignificant of a place compared to Silver Spring.
lol I gave you my sources- You said CD is such an unreliable source... remember?
It's ok, we know you're delusional.

I don't know why you have to make it a game.. Just show us the sources. You don't need to be asked 5 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City