U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.35%
Hoboken 151 65.65%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:57 PM

235 posts, read 219,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
OK pull yourself together kid (no pun).

YES! I walk to work in Silver Spring (singular).

That's just it then, Hoboken is not on par with just about every city in America. It's missing that very important component that just simply cant be left out of the criteria. You could even have far less residential and retail and it wouldn't be as important as not having office then saying you can compete with big cities.

I think we should have learned by now what's most important during this recession; JOBS! You can have all the retail and residential in the world but a big city will not survive for long without good jobs, particularly high paying white collar office jobs in todays world.

There are neighborhoods in Baltimore that look just as dense if not denser than Hobo but they're not on par with big cities. (NAH)

Finally I'm pretty sure now you don't know anything about Silver Spring with your last comment. Its not a planned community of likes of Columbia and is neither as spread out or so heavy on residential like Hoboken.

Silver Spring is home to the American Film Institute, has Art galleries and plenty non-profits using up retail space to help the community. Has on stage theater space everywhere and NOAA has a museum dedicated to marine History. The new library under construction will have a train stop under it. Silver Spring will be getting a new Music hall in a historic building.

The better question is, how many billion dollar companies does Hoboken have if it thinks it can compete with cities 20X its size?

Anyways i think it's you bedtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
LOL.......................... You seem to know nothing about Hoboken. It does not want major corporate infrastructure. The people actively reject it (although the new administration has flirted with it recently). Hoboken is basically an extremely dense, mid rise, walkable neighborhood squeezed between Jersey City & NYC (even though it is its own municipality). Your criticism is equivalent to chastising Greenwich Village for not hosting silver, glass clad office buildings by the handful (why ruin its character?)
The people of Hoboken are not short on job opportunities (even in this economic climate).
The air space over the rail station, next to the ferry terminal between Jersey City & Hoboken was proposed for major redevelopment (humongous corporate space). Hoboken passed........................ They are content.
IMO Buckhead is no match for the historic blocks in Hoboken.

Don't think so huh? prepare to be shut down!

It's not even a contest. Mount Vernon should really be compared to Greenwich Village.

Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hoboken

Last edited by TheJetSet; 07-13-2010 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Absolutely not, but that was not part of the criteria.
I just don't like how you hoboken supporters are using NY and Jersey city as a crutch as a way to wiggle your way into the full city experience.

Again, why can't Hoboken stand on its own two feet?

If the title of the thread was "... vs. Hoboken+Downtown NY or Hoboken+Jersey City = Full City experience" then I would say OK can't really surpass that. But the title is "whatever city vs. Hoboken" and its not looking too good for hoboken right now.

Last edited by TheJetSet; 07-13-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:05 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,368,102 times
Quote:
I just don't like how you hoboken supporters are using NY and Jersey city as crutch as a way to wiggle your way into the full city experience.

Again, why can't Hoboken stand on its won two feet.

If the title of the thread was "... vs. Hoboken+Downtown NY or Hoboken+Jersey City = Full City experience" then I would say OK can't really surpass that. But the title is "whatever city vs. Hoboken" and its not looking too good for hoboken right now.
It isn't a crutch, that is just reality, not a lets dump Hoboken out of NYC Metro or Buckhead out of Atlanta then gauge them up. The point was even "suburban" cities can be more optimal for city life if they radiate from a major mega city, than standalone smaller cities elsewhere. The keyword in the criteria was access. If the criteria were different there are many ways Buckhead would win.

Quote:

But that is what it was, this was elaborated further in the criteria of the original post...

Old 07-13-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm not replying to all these silly posts let the pictures speak for themselves. I'm sure though most of the NY hoboken supports wont take their apple shaped blinders off.

Here is part of Silver Spring.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6015/silverspring1.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by TheJetSet; 07-13-2010 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
It isn't a crutch, that is just reality, not a lets dump Hoboken out of NYC Metro or Buckhead out of Atlanta then gauge them up. The point was even "suburban" cities can be more optimal for city life if they radiate from a major mega city, than standalone smaller cities elsewhere.
But the thing is, While Buckhead may not be as walkable or dense as Hoboken. You could pluck it out put in the middle of no where and its skyline would rival some of the top in the country. It already looks better than LAs or a city like Tampa.

Same with Silver Spring, you could pluck it out of D.C. area and it would stand well. It would lose a few government employees but more than half have nothing to do with the federal government at all. This is unlike some other urban districts in the D.C. area.

Last edited by TheJetSet; 07-13-2010 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:14 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,368,102 times
Quote:
Bu the thing is, While Buckhead may not be as walkable or dense as Hoboken. You could pluck it out put in the middle of no where and it skyline would rival some of the top in the country. It already look better than LAs or a city like Tampa.

Same with Silver Spring, you could pluck it out of D.C. area and it would stand well. It would lose a few government employees but more than half have nothing to do with the federal government at all. This is unlike some other urban districts in the D.C. area.
I'm sure you could, again those weren't part of the criteria?

Also not sure how Silver Spring got brought in to this, I have no experience with Silver Spring to comment.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM

Here's more of Hoboken

Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Part of Buckhead, Atlanta

Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM

3,008 posts, read 5,600,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Hoboken by far, urbanity, walkability, location, Frank Sinatra .
Sinatra's town what more can you say

Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you could, again those weren't part of the criteria?

Also not sure how Silver Spring got brought in to this, I have no experience with Silver Spring to comment.
I don't know either ask one of your hoboken supporters called BPerone201. He/she cant even explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City