Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:57 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
That's because NJ needed to fit jobs and nightlife into their cities- Not overly dense section 8 housing.

The Bronx proffesional job market is weak- Especially compared to JC or Newark.
First of all the bronx has nightlife on its own. Second all new jersey is full of section 8 housing. The bronx is not a city of course JC or hobokens job market will be stronger

As far as smell. Maybe a street or a block will carry an odor. Thats it though. Nj is the only place in united states of america that carries a stench in the air itself for miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
I'm a New Yorker and I find his rhetoric childish, close minded, ignorant - and generally at odds with how most people I personally know in real life (and not this site) view Jersey and more specifically, Hudson County, vis a vis New York City.

His amazing claim that since you cannot walk to Hudson County from New York City makes it akin to being in another universe is absolutely unbelievable. Because, afterall, it is so easy to walk from Manhattan to Staten Island. Right?

Anyway, I think most New Yorkers would trade in Staten Island for Hudson County - the latter being far more in line culturally, demographically, structurally with New York City than the former.

Anyway - this discussion is about Hoboken vs. Buckhead. I've visited Atlanta for work many times and I love the city. Buckhead in particular is one of the coolest neighborhoods i've stayed in. On an urban level of course Hoboken wins, but if I were to live in the south, i'd live in Atlanta, and Buckhead specifically.
What are you a new yorker slash im a transplant from the midwest whose lived in ny for 3 months and calls himself a nyer? New yorkers don't see jersey as being vis a vis NYC. Thats ridiculous we dont even think of jersey.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Nj is the only place in united states of america that carries a stench in the air itself for miles
Now you're reduced to outright lying I see.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:11 PM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
Quote:
What are you a new yorker slash im a transplant from the midwest whose lived in ny for 3 months and calls himself a nyer? New yorkers don't see jersey as being vis a vis NYC. Thats ridiculous we dont even think of jersey.
Not that I have to answer to someone with such amazing command over the English language as yourself ("we don't see jersey as being vis a vis NYC"? LOL). But just to let you know. I was born here some thirty five years ago - lived here til I was twelve - moved to London - lived there til I was eighteen - and have been here ever since. So, yes, I qualify as a New Yorker. And you, sir, qualify as an idiot.

Stay in school, kids. Stay in school.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
There are million dollar homes in Newark, JC, Hoboken, and the rest of Northern NJ. Weak argument
NJ has the 3rd highest percentage of millionaires (and no, NYS is not #1 or 2.. or #4 or #5). NJ has on average the most expensive housing stock. NYC leeches off of NJ's econoomic power just as much as we use Manhattan for a powerful job market. NYC has more investment deals tied with NJ than then anywhere else in NYS.
The Bronx is a part of NYC. That's it- It's the borough that makes people think rats, roaches, illegals and garbage. 1/3rd of the Bronx is below the poverty line, The Bronx doesn't pump any extreme wealth into Manhattan to make it such a powerful place, NJ does to a large margin.

You took it there.
How could you belittle a place that NYC needed to become the NYC it is today. Going by your logic, the geographic location of NYC and NJ is just too ironic.. NYC is one of the only states to have more than one state in its metropolitan area. It has more economic connections with NJ than NYS itself.

You bashed NJ for priding it's geographical location. If you as a NYer boil about this, move to a metro area that doesn't spill or come close to NJ in NYS... Everything else in NYS is absolutely NOTHING like NYC. Access, culture, and topography completely, and utterly changes once you enter the true majority of NYS. NYC/NNJ/SW CT got it's own name for it's geographical location- The Tri state area.
The money being generated amongst 1.5 million residents both in the bronx and in manhattan is substantial.

Should we give nj's city's an award of sixth borough, in the middle of Time Square because they are a city that benefits off nycs economy Is that what you want?. New york made Nj not the other way around

The bronx has nothing on the murder capitols of trenton,newark,camden etc. Theres no where in the bronx as bombed out and depleted as those cities. This is not 1977 anymore

The bronx equals rats roaches..... Wth do you think comes up to mind with NJ.LOL- Snooki,guidos,orange human beings, Fist pumps,toxic waste

If you can "take it there" i can take it there too

Old 07-15-2010, 01:14 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Wow. I thought we Atlantan's were bad about going off on tangents in forums but we have nothing on New Jersyians and New Yorkers. 90% of their post have nothing to do with the thread topic.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Not that I have to answer to someone with such amazing command over the English language as yourself ("we don't see jersey as being vis a vis NYC"? LOL). But just to let you know. I was born here some thirty five years ago - lived here til I was twelve - moved to London - lived there til I was eighteen - and have been here ever since. So, yes, I qualify as a New Yorker. And you, sir, qualify as an idiot.

Stay in school, kids. Stay in school.
"I'm a New Yorker and I find his rhetoric childish, close minded, ignorant - and generally at odds with how most people I personally know in real life (and not this site) view Jersey and more specifically, Hudson County, vis a vis New York City."

It was a joke. And no true nyer see nj as being vis a vis NYC. LOL. Don't call me out my name either. You don't know me

Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 PM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
Quote:
"I'm a New Yorker and I find his rhetoric childish, close minded, ignorant - and generally at odds with how most people I personally know in real life (and not this site) view Jersey and more specifically, Hudson County, vis a vis New York City."

It was a joke. And no true nyer see nj as being vis a vis NYC. LOL. Don't call me out my name either. You don't know me
I asked you before, but you ignored it. So i'll ask again. What's your education level, out of curiosity. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
The money being generated amongst 1.5 million residents both in the bronx and in manhattan is substantial.

Should we give nj's city's an award of sixth borough, in the middle of Time Square because they are a city that benefits off nycs economy Is that what you want?. New york made Nj not the other way around

The bronx has nothing on the murder capitols of trenton,newark,camden etc. Theres no where in the bronx as bombed out and depleted as those cities. This is not 1977 anymore

The bronx equals rats roaches..... Wth do you think comes up to mind with NJ.LOL- Snooki,guidos,orange human beings, Fist pumps,toxic waste

If you can "take it there" i can take it there too
You know that Snooki and the rest of the "Jersey Shore" weirdos are from NY, right? Including one of them from the Bronx. Those types of people are really quite rare in NJ, and much, much, MUCH more common in the 4 outer boroughs of your NYC. But NJ people sure do appreciate NY sending those wackos to our beaches, and hence giving NJ that stereotype.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:

You say this as if your opinion is the only opinion that NYers hold. I hope that you gain more of an open mind with age, so that you can comprehend that there ARE in fact people that hold different beliefs, and preferences, than you do, and that this is normal.

The irony is that it is this mentality that makes NYC great -- open minded people, people who respect all cultures, etc -- and you are proving yourself to be the antithesis of such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City