Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM

8,477 posts, read 14,956,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
"Look, be fair, if you take 1 sq mile of buckhead on peachtree st and peidmont..."

30305 is the Peachtree/Tuxedo Park area of Buckhead-
Population: 21,381
Land area: 5 square miles
Population density: 4,028

The rest of Buckhead's zip codes and stats:

30309-
Population: 23,966
Land Area: 3.5 square miles
Population density: 6,941

30318-
Population: 68,077
Land Area: 20 square miles
Population density: 3,253

30319-
Population: 43,519
Land Area: 10 square miles
Population Density: 4,444

30324-
Population: 25,984
Land Area: 5 square miles
Population density: 4,960

30326-
Population: 1,374
Land Area: less than 1 square mile
Population density: 1,858

30327-
Population: 26,861
Land Area: 17 square miles
Population density: 1,521

30342-
Population: 33,005
Land Area: 9 square miles
Population density: 3,757
_

There is no one square mile area of Buckhead that has a population anywhere near Hoboken. So access and walkability in Hoboken clearly excels when it comes to all the people living among the city life.
I'm aware that Buckhead has a thriving nigtlife/job district, but the vast majority of Buckheads residents live beyond that one square mile.
A few notes:

1. 30309 is Midtown, not Buckhead

2. 30319 (my zip) isn't entirely in the City of Atlanta. It in fact crosses 3 other municipalities and two counties. The part of it in Buckhead is about 2 square miles, but has about 10 to 15000 residents.

3. Judging how urban a place is by population density is not always the best route to go. For one, Hoboken is three times as dense as Chicago, twice San Francisco, 2.5 times more than Boston, and even beats New York City by a few thousand people per square mile. Are you prepared to state how Hoboken is more urban than any of those places based on it's population density alone?

4. Atlanta, and especially Buckhead, is an oddly laid out place where things like overall population density doesn't give you a good idea. Using my own block of Buckhead as an example:

I live in a midrise building on less than half an acre with about 100 residents. Across the street is a 30 story condo tower, by hind the building is a several rowhouses, and to the side of that are older SFHs and a forest. Atlanta is laid out more arterially not in a solid, OCD pleasing, tight grid like New York or other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 PM

19 posts, read 20,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Youre pitiful.One of the Top wealthiest communities in the country with,Neimans,Tiffany's ,Saks,Versace,Cartier,etc....but its "redneck" in a city with majority of black residents?
Crdibility keeps dropping by the minute.
atlanta gets all excited that they just recently got these shops where that is old hat for everybody else.

The rednecks in alabama still come to atlanta to buy there camo.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:32 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,931,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguy#1 View Post
Never really thought about it but Camo is like the Burberry of the South.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 PM

^ The hicks from bama drive in daily to shop in Atlanter

Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,760,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguy#1 View Post
atlanta gets all excited that they just recently got these shops where that is old hat for everybody else.

Actually these store have been here for most over 20 years.Neiman's ;close to 40.You are being silly now.Be serious.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 PM

^ I am being serious.

I know how yall do it in the "A". Atlanta just came to fame with shopping in the past 20 years, same with growth, same with importance.

It is like someone who lives in a trailer winning a mili in the lotto. They are broke as hell and then finally get something so they belive they are big time now. fall back, son

Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,789,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
A few notes:

1. 30309 is Midtown, not Buckhead

2. 30319 (my zip) isn't entirely in the City of Atlanta. It in fact crosses 3 other municipalities and two counties. The part of it in Buckhead is about 2 square miles, but has about 10 to 15000 residents.

3. Judging how urban a place is by population density is not always the best route to go. For one, Hoboken is three times as dense as Chicago, twice San Francisco, 2.5 times more than Boston, and even beats New York City by a few thousand people per square mile. Are you prepared to state how Hoboken is more urban than any of those places based on it's population density alone?

4. Atlanta, and especially Buckhead, is an oddly laid out place where things like overall population density doesn't give you a good idea. Using my own block of Buckhead as an example:

I live in a midrise building on less than half an acre with about 100 residents. Across the street is a 30 story condo tower, by hind the building is a several rowhouses, and to the side of that are older SFHs and a forest. Atlanta is laid out more arterially not in a solid, OCD pleasing, tight grid like New York or other places.
#3 big
No, if you were paying attention to the whole conversation, I was trying to compare a square mile in Buckhead to Hoboken. It's only fair- and since you're pointing out that there's no logic in comparing NYC/Chi/etc to Hoboken, then why is everyone consistently trying to compare all of Buckhead to Hoboken? There's just too many obstacles, many of them giving the edge to Hoboken since Buckeahd is very big and has sizable areas that aren't even that urban at all.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,789,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I googlemapped both Hoboken and Buckhead. Hoboken is obviously a very old city that developed in the late 1800s and early 1900s, with lots of medium-density neighborhoods composed primarily of brownstones, and small apartment buildings. Buckhead has some pleasant looking mid-century neighborhoods composed of small detached houses on separate lots, ringed by post WWII suburban type residential development composed of ranch-style houses on big lots, and some larger 'mansion style housing" (I was told by another poster not to call them "mini-mansions") in some areas. These neighborhoods are obviously medium-to-low density. Many of the streets have no sidewalks (despite being within the city limits of Atlanta). Along Peachtree Rd, some sections that are lined by late-20th century high rise residential buildings that are obviously high density. Other sections of Peachtree are lined by 50s-60s era strip malls. Outside of that, commercial development seems to be large-scale, concentrated on "superblocks", whereas, Hoboken's commercial activity is dispersed and smaller in scale. IMHO, both Buckhead (a section of a large city), and Hoboken (a small city adjacent to a huge city) both have their strengths, and both are appealing to me, but back to the OP's question, I have to confirm my initial reaction that Hoboken offers much better opportunities for "city living" than Buckhead.
Now that's the best post I've seen throughout the thread.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM

725 posts, read 1,507,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No you did not, but believe as you may. And re-read my post. Again you cherry picked counter points

And 89 is below an area i would choose, but again thread was not to assess overall walkability but is a factor and I choose Buckhead as a known comodity that affords city living.

Just as an FYI, my current neighborhood is a 100 and where I just moved from is a 99, and 89 is equivalent to the suburb I grew up, two more blocks off peachtree and the numbers drop significantly.

So all these places are like the suburb you grew up in and lack walkability because they are all under 89:

1San Francisco 86Chinatown, Financial District, Downtown
2New York 83Tribeca, Little Italy, Soho
3Boston 79Back Bay-Beacon Hill, South End, Fenway-Kenmore
4Chicago 76Loop, Near North Side, Lincoln Park
5Philadelphia 74City Center East, City Center West, Riverfront
6Seattle 72Pioneer Square, Downtown, First Hill
7Washington D.C.70Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Downtown
8Long Beach 69Downtown, Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights
9Los Angeles 67Mid City West, Downtown, Hollywood
10Portland 66Pearl District, Old Town-Chinatown, Downtown

Not to mention most of Hoboken since the areas that I looked up are below 89... and I was fair... I think Washington is a major street there.

I think we agreed on most parts , but you said there are "no parts of Buckhead that are walkable... far from it...." I clearly proved that there are some areas of Buckhead that are very walkable because a score of 89 reads, according to the site, "very walkable"... . There are some that score a lot lower, but we are comparing a one mile area of Buckhead to Hoboken.

I admire you... in the face of all evidence you stay stong and stick to your original though.... but as a person who lives and walks in Buckhead all the time to get most of what I need and would rather take transit to the southside than drive... you would be wrong if you think Buckhead is not walkable with a "measly" score of 89

Last edited by theATLien; 07-18-2010 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,950,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I think we agreed on most parts , but you said there are "no parts of Buckhead that are walkable... far from it...." I clearly proved that there are some areas of Buckhead that are very walkable because a score of 89 reads, according to the site, "very walkable"... . There are some that score a lot lower, but we are comparing a one mile area of Buckhead to Hoboken.
Keep working that angle duke................ I'm positive it's a winner for you & your cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City