Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times

Advertisements

Is Vancouver better because it's denser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
Fair enough, maybe not London, but what about comparing Atlanta and Houston to Vancouver?

Vancouver I believe was founded less than 150 years ago. It's population is definitely under a million. Yet is vastly dense, walkable, and filled with very lush parks. According to Wikipedia it's the 3rd largest film production centre in North America after New York and Los Angeles.

Have you been to Vancouver? You must go if you haven't. It's fantastic and one of my favorite cities in the world. I highly recommend it to anyone on City-Data to see how well planned out it is.

Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, I have been there and absolutely loved it.

Canadian urban planning principles would simply not work in much of the U.S. You have to also remember that cities that are hemmed in by mountains and large bodies of water always tend to more dense, so not a fair comparison.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 AM

139 posts, read 207,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Is Vancouver better because it's denser?
I reckon it is. Did you read all the recognition is receives in that Wikipedia article? Environmentally friendly, clean, great industry, tourist destination. It should be a model for all North American cities.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Fair enough, maybe not London, but what about comparing Atlanta and Houston to Vancouver?

Vancouver I believe was founded less than 150 years ago. It's population is definitely under a million. Yet is vastly dense, walkable, and filled with very lush parks. According to Wikipedia it's the 3rd largest film production centre in North America after New York and Los Angeles.

It is also surrounded by water. They have to build up because they don't have the space to build out. In places where there is a lot of land, cities build out because they can and build up because they want to.

Secondly, population density is a measurement of how many people live in a given area. That's it. Just because a municipality has a certain population density on paper because of it's population size and civil boundaries, doesn't mean it lacks high density development.

Quote:
Have you been to Vancouver? You must go if you haven't. It's fantastic and one of my favorite cities in the world. I highly recommend it to anyone on City-Data to see how well planned out it is.

Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why is it that you assume people don't know what the rest of the world is like?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, I have been there and absolutely loved it.

Canadian urban planning principles would simply not work in much of the U.S. You have to also remember that cities that are hemmed in by mountains and large bodies of water always tend to more dense, so not a fair comparison.
Yes, the geography plays a huge role in Vancouver, because the city is limited as to where it could grow.

I'm not familiar with the differences between Canadian and U.S. urban planning principles though. How does that affect growth?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Yes, the geography plays a huge role in Vancouver, because the city is limited as to where it could grow.

I'm not familiar with the differences between Canadian and U.S. urban planning principles though. How does that affect growth?

It really does not significantly, the dollar is the biggest factor - cheap development and a demand in newer US development

Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It is also surrounded by water. They have to build up because they don't have the space to build out. In places where there is a lot of land, cities build out because they can and build up because they want to.

Secondly, population density is a measurement of how many people live in a given area. That's it. Just because a municipality has a certain population density on paper because of it's population size and civil boundaries, doesn't mean it lacks high density development.

Why is it that you assume people don't know what the rest of the world is like?
Americans do have an unfortunate reputation for not being well-travelled. They are more likely not to have ever left their country at all. I'm making suppositions after I read this forum that based on some of the commentary, many (but not all) people here have not experienced different cultures.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:26 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Americans do have an unfortunate reputation for not being well-travelled. They are more likely not to have ever left their country at all. I'm making suppositions after I read this forum that based on some of the commentary, many (but not all) people here have not experienced different cultures.
Well, you are right in that you are making assumptions. Funny how you make that charge whilst committing the same offense yourself....

Old 07-21-2010, 11:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It really does not significantly, the dollar is the biggest factor - cheap development and a demand in newer US development
You might want to rethink this stance.

Look at the VAST amounts of highrise apartments and condos on the outskirts of the major Canadian cities. Now name an American counterpart to this.

It is a different world North of the border when it comes to urban planning, and I stand by my original statement.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You might want to rethink this stance.

Look at the VAST amounts of highrise apartments and condos on the outskirts of the major Canadian cities. Now name an American counterpart to this.

It is a different world North of the border when it comes to urban planning, and I stand by my original statement.

Yes and no - Bellevue Wash, DC but less than north of the border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City