Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
Good lord it was a joke. Why does everybody take everything so literal and seriously on here for pete's sake?
Including you? My response was a joke as well...hence the smilie. You might want to follow your own advice and calm down a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Cars are a huge part of transportation everywhere in the U.S. - even in and around the city that has the best transit in the nation. A higher percentage of people in the New York Metro area drive rather than use public transit, so you really can't say that driving isn't a huge part of transportation.
Plz stop grouping nyc as being the same thing thing as the ny metro in the city and around the city are worlds apart. You paint the wrong picture when you do that. Over half nyers do not own a vehicle, car culture is not a big part of transportation in comparison to other city's

Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Two way street:

Hoboken rail terminal history - Google Search

timeline excerpt: 1907 - Hoboken Rail Terminal: Built in 1907 by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western to serve immigrants crossing by ferry from Ellis Island, where they would continue on to the coal fields of Pennsylvania, or settle in northern New Jersey.

Also, I cannot find where nexis4jersey said there were NO commuters until the 70's. Perhaps not in high demand until then?
He said it in post #602: "The Station was originally built to shuttle ppl into the NJ Gold Coast for the outer edges of the state , commuters to NYC wasn't a high demand intill the 70s."

When presented with proof that there was high demand at the turn of the Century, he back-tracked and laughingly stated there was no commuter demand until the 1930's.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Plz stop grouping nyc as being the same thing thing as the ny metro in the city and around the city are worlds apart. You paint the wrong picture when you do that. Over half nyers do not own a vehicle, car culture is not a big part of transportation in comparison to other city's
In comparison to other cities, maybe not...but when considering that over half of residents own and use private cars, it is a big part of transportation in NYC - and I assume we are talking about the metro area. Most discussions on city-data are in reference to MSA/CSA.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
Quote:
Cars are a huge part of transportation everywhere in the U.S. - even in and around the city that has the best transit in the nation. A higher percentage of people in the New York Metro area drive rather than use public transit, so you really can't say that driving isn't a huge part of transportation.
I live here. Where I live, cars are NOT a popular mode of transportation. It is much, much more INCONVENIENT to have a car than it is to not have a car.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I live here. Where I live, cars are NOT a popular mode of transportation. It is much, much more INCONVENIENT to have a car than it is to not have a car.
It's like that in parts of all cities that have good public transit, but it certainly isn't true of the entire area.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Granted, in Hoboken 38.29% of households do not own a car (which is a great number), but that means 61.7% of households do own a car. Whether or not it's convenient to own a car has nothing to do with people owning one and driving them. Unless you think the below video is just full of horseless carriages.

YouTube - Hoboken: Conflict at Hudson and Newark

Hoboken is nice and compact and very walkable, but come on, don't act like no one or a lot of people don't drive there. That's just silly.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Granted, in Hoboken 38.29% of households do not own a car (which is a great number), but that means 61.7% of households do own a car. Whether or not it's convenient to own a car has nothing to do with people owning one and driving them. Unless you think the below video is just full of horseless carriages.

YouTube - Hoboken: Conflict at Hudson and Newark

Hoboken is nice and compact and very walkable, but come on, don't act like no one or a lot of people don't drive there. That's just silly.

If you watch the video right around 2:22 the culprit is identified - Starbucks Density

Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
In comparison to other cities, maybe not...but when considering that over half of residents own and use private cars, it is a big part of transportation in NYC - and I assume we are talking about the metro area. Most discussions on city-data are in reference to MSA/CSA.
Even if you look at just the City of New York, 50% of all 3 million households do not have a car which is good and unique since no other big city comes close to that. On the other hand, that means the other 1.5 millon households do have a car. That's a whole lot of cars and that's not even counting all the taxis and buses.

But I get what they mean, for most people in the immediate area it is tougher to own a car there from parking to congestion so not having one is better than having one in everyday situations. However, when you're around people who don't own a car they act like they suddenly became rich and have chauffeur. All but a few times, we/I always drive to NYC to see my family. All my cousins/aunts/uncles ever do is bug us to drive them here, drive them there.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
If you watch the video right around 2:22 the culprit is identified - Starbucks Density
Hahaha! I didn't even notice that. Just proves my theory that Starbucks is the root of all evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City