Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
It depends some people can literally walk to manhattan with their own two feet
Yea, to bad the Harlem job market is non existent. You stay trying to live off of technicality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Tell all the Manhattanites living in Hoboken that- They moved there because it was cheaper and accessible- There's no "lumping"

Hoboken is definitely Jersey's, being so close to NYC is just a bonus.
How do u even know that they're manhattanaties they can come from anywhere in the city, if they actually come from the city at all or even the northeast

The constant mention of manhattanites is funny to me. They are constantly being mentioned by you as if they are the gods, the real new yorkers.

Is someone who was born and raised in ny. Living in a mansion in riverdale or a expensive multi million dollar stone in bk-people who could easily afford to be an "manhattanite" Are they supposed to be less of nyers because they live in the city but not manhattan. Most in the other four can give a *u.k about that. Which makes the jersey leeching more bizarre

Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
How do u even know that they're manhattanaties they can come from anywhere in the city, if they actually come from the city at all or even the northeast

The constant mention of manhattanites is funny to me. They are constantly being mentioned by you as if they are the gods, the real new yorkers.

Is someone who was born and raised in ny. Living in a mansion in riverdale or a expensive multi million dollar stone in bk-people who could easily afford to be an "manhattanite" Are they supposed to be less of nyers because they live in the city but not manhattan. Most in the other four can give a *u.k about that. Which makes the jersey leeching more bizarre
Jersey leeching?
Nobody put a gun to anyone's head & made them move to NJ. They did it out of free will. They took a gander @ the other options (The Bronx, Staten Island, Queens) & made the wise choice.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Quote:

(once you limit Buckhead to one square mile) Hoboken trumps the hell out of Buckhead- / The thread.
This is where you are wrong...!!!!!

In fact this is the argument that I was trying to make. If you limit Buckhead to the peachtree corridor which is a small area of Buckhead it trumps the hell out of Hoboken!!!

What's the tallest building in Hoboken? What? about 50 m... then down from there?

In the Peachtree corridor.... well I'll let wikipedia do all the work.

While much of west and north Buckhead maintains itself in single-family unit residential in forested settings (which is what I was trying to say), the Peachtree Road corridor has become a major focus of high-rise construction. The first 400-foot (121 m) office tower, Tower Place, opened in 1974. Park Place, in 1986, was the first 400+ foot (121+ m) condominium. 1986 Also saw the completion of the 425-foot (129 m), 34-story Atlanta Plaza, then Buckhead's tallest and largest building. In 2000, Park Avenue Condominiums upped the ante, pushing the record to 486 feet (148 m). Since that time, a wave of development has followed. Recently, the 660-foot (201 m) Sovereign and 580-foot (177 m) Mansion on Peachtree were completed in late 2008. Today, Buckhead has over 50 high-rise buildings, almost one-third of the city's total.

Hoboken cannot compete with that!!! Basically for those who have not been to the core of Buckhead...

There are at least 20 towers back to back that are at least 2 times taller than the tallest building in Hoboken all in one 2-3 mile area!!! Some are over 4 times taller...

Not to mention...
It includes excellent transit, diplomatic consulates, more than 300 restaurants bars and nightclubs, 2 of the most upscale malls in the nation, the highest concentration of upscale boutiques in the United States, Two of the nation's fourteen Mobil five-star restaurants

These are two different urban experiences.

1.) If you wanted to have a modern urban experience where you are in a tall high rise scrapper looking at other high-rise skyscrappers in a top ten affluent city. You can live in the peachtree corridor of Buckehad

2.) If you want to live a classic urban experience with mid-rises and low-rises looking at a lot of other midrises and high-rises with a lot of density than you can live in Hoboken.

It's that simple. Like I said before... There are some parts of Buckhead that are more urban than Hoboken, but much of the rest is not. You can't fool me I have been to both. Hoboken is nice, but you guys are making it out to be Toyko.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:

You do realize Hoboken used to be an island, and it was bought by a NJian who then turned into a "resort" for NYers in the early 1800s.
20,000 NYers would go there every weekend.

Look it up, NYers have been involved with Hoboken since the beginning.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 PM

499 posts, read 667,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So ok here is the deal - i went ahead and did some calculations

at a radius population from 801 Sligo Ave in Silver Spring

1 mile (3.14 sq miles) 29,495 (pretty good density a hair under 10K ppsm)
2 mile (~12.5 sq miles) 99,149 - still good at ~8,500 ppsm
5 mile (~80 sq miles) 562,339 - ok at 7K ppsm

Now Hoboken from 300 Madison Ave
1 mile (3.14 sq miles) 86,069 28K ppsm
2 mile (~12.5 sq miles) 265,168 20K ppsm (at two miles much includes the Hudson River)
5 mile (~80 sq miles) 1.5 Million - 29K ppsm

Yep pretty close really

just to clarify - the numbers you posted are not sq miles mile but radius miles, 1 miles radius = 3.14 sq miles - the numbers you psted make sense based on my calculation but also prove that the disparity in density is threefold
First why did you center on 801 Sligo? That's even outside the CBD and nowhere near the center of downtown, as well as closer to single family homes and large urban parks.

Second, the vast majority of the 33,000 is within the Spring CBD and that's less than a square mile so you could say at least 20-25 thousand people live within there and on the direct fringes. There are so many midrises and high-rises outside the CBD as well as plenty under construction in it that opened in 2008-2010.

Still if you took 1 square mile on hoboken and the Silver Spring CBD the density would not be far and away apart.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
This is where you are wrong...!!!!!

In fact this is the argument that I was trying to make. If you limit Buckhead to the peachtree corridor which is a small area of Buckhead it trumps the hell out of Hoboken!!!

What's the tallest building in Hoboken? What? about 50 m... then down from there?

In the Peachtree corridor.... well I'll let wikipedia do all the work.

While much of west and north Buckhead maintains itself in single-family unit residential in forested settings (which is what I was trying to say), the Peachtree Road corridor has become a major focus of high-rise construction. The first 400-foot (121 m) office tower, Tower Place, opened in 1974. Park Place, in 1986, was the first 400+ foot (121+ m) condominium. 1986 Also saw the completion of the 425-foot (129 m), 34-story Atlanta Plaza, then Buckhead's tallest and largest building. In 2000, Park Avenue Condominiums upped the ante, pushing the record to 486 feet (148 m). Since that time, a wave of development has followed. Recently, the 660-foot (201 m) Sovereign and 580-foot (177 m) Mansion on Peachtree were completed in late 2008. Today, Buckhead has over 50 high-rise buildings, almost one-third of the city's total.

Hoboken cannot compete with that!!! Basically for those who have not been to the core of Buckhead...

There are at least 20 towers back to back that are at least 2 times taller than the tallest building in Hoboken all in one 2-3 mile area!!! Some are over 4 times taller...

Not to mention...
It includes excellent transit, diplomatic consulates, more than 300 restaurants bars and nightclubs, 2 of the most upscale malls in the nation, the highest concentration of upscale boutiques in the United States, Two of the nation's fourteen Mobil five-star restaurants

These are two different urban experiences.

1.) If you wanted to have a modern urban experience where you are in a tall high rise scrapper looking at other high-rise skyscrappers in a top ten affluent city. You can live in the peachtree corridor of Buckehad

2.) If you want to live a classic urban experience with mid-rises and low-rises looking at a lot of other midrises and high-rises with a lot of density than you can live in Hoboken.

It's that simple. Like I said before... There are some parts of Buckhead that are more urban than Hoboken, but much of the rest is not. You can't fool me I have been to both. Hoboken is nice, but you guys are making it out to be Toyko.
And even with all these big, extraordinary buildings- Hoboken still has more people than the peachtree corridor.
How can it trump the hell out of Hoboken when the vast majority of Buckhead doesn't live in the Peachtree corridor?

You're never more than 1 mile from Jersey City
You're never more than 2 miles from downtown Manhattan

It's possible to be 30+ miles from the peachtree corridor in Buckhead. Buckhead is mostly suburban in character.
~

Buckhead has a better boutique shopping district.
That's something it has over Hoboken- It's not as urban and accessible though.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 PM

499 posts, read 667,716 times
Quote:
I see you avoided these questions like a bad habit- You are just an ignoramus spewing ignorant things.
Jersey City is bigger than SS by a mere 5 square miles and trumps the hell out of SS... Hoboken is like a residential/nightlife neighborhood in a sense, a more urban neighborhood than anywhere in SS, or anywhere in Montgomery county. Stop being so arrogant, I actually really like SS.
Angry much, resorting to name calling again? You've still failed to prove why Hoboken is so much better than Silver Spring.

You're right that hoboken is a neighborhood and Silver Spring is not. Silver Spring is bustling urban district with major companies and jobs. Its just a more significant place.

Hoboken is a bedroom community nothing more. Its like someone saying adams morgan trumps Silver Spring lol. When you actually grow up, you'll learn that there are more important things in life than lattes and bars.

And Silver Spring has far more diverse restaurant offerings and population in general than Hoboken. It's just a better well rounded place to live, play and most importantly work

Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Angry much, resorting to name calling again? You've still failed to prove why Hoboken is so much better than Silver Spring.

You're right that hoboken is a neighborhood and Silver Spring is not. Silver Spring is bustling urban district with major companies and jobs. Its just a more significant place.

Hoboken is a bedroom community nothing more. Its like someone saying adams morgan trumps Silver Spring lol. When you actually grow up, you'll learn that there are more important things in life than lattes and bars.

And Silver Spring has far more diverse restaurant offerings and population in general than Hoboken. It's just a better well rounded place to live, play and most importantly work
LOL @ still not being able to back up any of your density claims.
Just admit you that you're pulling things out of your ass to keep Silver Spring in the discussion.

You can fit 9 Hobokens in Silver Spring. 9 Hobokens = 387,000 people. (Silver Spring = 82,000 people)
If Hoboken was to be 9 square miles, it would have gobble up all of Jersey City's financial district and more.. Silver Spring can't compete. Silver Spring isn't even an incorporated area, it's just an "Area" -Even Hobokens wikipedia page is longer and more detailed than Silver Springs

Anyway, you're the one making this a Hoboken Vs SS thing.
I said SS Vs Buckhead is a more logical comparison- But you knew I liked Hoboken, and since you despised it, you twisted it. (To boost the irrelevance of SS)

Last edited by BPerone201; 10-20-2010 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 11:28 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Quote:
And even with all these big, extraordinary buildings- Hoboken still has more people than the peachtree corridor.
How can it trump the hell out of Hoboken when the vast majority of Buckhead doesn't live in the Peachtree corridor?
The vast majority of people do live in the peachtree corridor! How did you come to the conclusion that is doesn't? That's what I am trying to say. Outside of the Peachtree corridor Buckhead is huge mansion estates that takes up acres with very few people (did you see all those trees in that picture around those buildings). There are not proper stats to this point this out to my knowledge, but as a resident I can say that. That's why people tried to show this with pictures because it's not irrational to say that the area thas has 1.5 miles of highrise skyscrappers will have more people than 1.5 miles of mid-rise and low-rise skyscrappers. But then you have the bash Atlanta sentiment.

However that's besides the point. To density hawks... there is more to city life and urbaninity than the amount of residents you live by. Other things are the view (skyscape), ammenities, shopping, dining, nightlife, transportation options, affluence, ... all of which Buckhead has an edge (transportation is a toss-up).

Denisty is probably the least important critria to me cause an area that is hot is going to gave a fair share of visitors anyway that may not live there, but definitly make the area more vibrant when they are there and leave at the right time. The Buckhead corridor has more going on than most cities.

That's why I go back to what I said. There are parts of Buckhead that are more urban than Hoboken, but much of the rest is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City