Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,716,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
2. Characteristic of the city or city life.

Both Hoboken and the Peachtree corridor are urban... there should be no debate about that. Even though Hoboken is a suburb of NYC or Jersey city or both

I agree they are urban in different ways. IMPO I would go for high-rises and ammenites of inner-Buckhead, but that may not be the same for you. That's just my opinion. I just had to set the record strait for those that thought that it was outlandish to say Buckhead has an urban area that can be compared to Hoboken and we should be ashamed of ourselves. Hoboken is a very vibrant city that is very cohesive and it is consistantly urban throughout.

This is mostly true - good post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:48 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,414,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
And even with all these big, extraordinary buildings- Hoboken still has more people than the peachtree corridor.
How can it trump the hell out of Hoboken when the vast majority of Buckhead doesn't live in the Peachtree corridor?

You're never more than 1 mile from Jersey City
You're never more than 2 miles from downtown Manhattan

It's possible to be 30+ miles from the peachtree corridor in Buckhead.
Buckhead is mostly suburban in character.
~

Buckhead has a better boutique shopping district.
That's something it has over Hoboken- It's not as urban and accessible though.
WOW. No wonder you think Buckhead is so un urban. You must be really confused about where it is. Maybe you're thinking of this Buckhead. Buckhead, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia buckhead, ga - Google Maps because there's no way you can be 30 miles from the Peachtree Corridor and still be in Buckhead or any other part of Atlanta. That would put you way out at Villa Rica (past Douglasville) or well past Snellville. The furthest you can be from Peachtree Street in Buckhead is 5 miles tops.

And no the majority of people in Buckhead live on or near the Peachtree Corridor. Only a few live in those mansions and houses with big lawns far from Peachtree. Thousands live in apartments, town homes and Condos closer to where the action is. I really don't think you have a grasp of what Buckhead is all about.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-21-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
HAHA and I am willing to bet most of the people that voted have not set foot in either city. I have set foot in both that's why I decided to share what I know an unveil the misconceptions. Don't get salty, now...
Yeah. I've been to Hoboken before. My sister used to live in Bayonne and her and her boyfriend liked hanging out there. It's cool and yeah that whole area of New Jersey is very urban. The PATH gives it easy access to New York City. I never denied any of this. All I've been saying is that if you position yourself in the right part of Buckhead you can have quick access to more shopping, dining, and nightclubs than you can get in Hoboken. (I give Hoboken a win in the bars category) And you could get to these amenities quicker than someone in Hoboken could get to Jersey City or Manhattan. But for some reason they can't believe that I guess. I could say the same thing for lots of other places in the U.S. besides Buckhead actually.

Just because you're super dense doesn't automatically make you have easier access to the good things in life.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:25 PM

442 posts, read 823,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Just because you're super dense doesn't automatically make you have easier access to the good things in life.
No, but quick access to Manhattan can. This can't be denied. It is like comparing a suburb of Little Rock to one of Atlanta. Even if Little Rock's suburbs are closer to the downtown, Atlanta's suburbs give easy access to Atlanta's downtown. That can't be compared.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
No, but quick access to Manhattan can. This can't be denied. It is like comparing a suburb of Little Rock to one of Atlanta. Even if Little Rock's suburbs are closer to the downtown, Atlanta's suburbs give easy access to Atlanta's downtown. That can't be compared.
Yeah I know that's true but what I was saying is that some people in Buckhead have quicker access to the type of shopping and dinning that someone in Hoboken could get to traveling to New York.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,400,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yeah I know that's true but what I was saying is that some people in Buckhead have quicker access to the type of shopping and dinning that someone in Hoboken could get to traveling to New York.
I'm not aware of anything like SoHo, Chelsea or 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue shopping in Atlanta, nor near the caliber and variety of restaurants of NYC in Atlanta.
So the key word is "could", but they could also get way more stuff than Buckhead or Atlanta as a whole could dream of offering.
Please don't say Lennox Mall or something like Ruth Chris or Fogo de Chao.

And before you respond, sure those things aren't "necessary" and most american's will be satisfied with stuff like that. But I would argue people choosing to live in NYC aren't exactly "most american's" either and the standards of quality and range of NYC is much different than most places.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not aware of anything like SoHo, Chelsea or 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue shopping in Atlanta, nor near the caliber and variety of restaurants of NYC in Atlanta.
So the key word is "could", but they could also get way more stuff than Buckhead or Atlanta as a whole could dream of offering.
Please don't say Lennox Mall or something like Ruth Chris or Fogo de Chao.

And before you respond, sure those things aren't "necessary" and most american's will be satisfied with stuff like that. But I would argue people choosing to live in NYC aren't exactly "most american's" either and the standards of quality and range of NYC is much different than most places.
Oh no, not another argument about stuff that does not affect the people arguing because they in the demographic that can fully partake anyway. I always think it is hilarious when I see people on this site arguing "high fashion" when they more then likely can't really afford to regularly shop in the places they are boosting and if they could how why would they be online wasting time arguing about it instead of enjoying their superior shops/cities?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,400,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Oh no, not another argument about stuff that does not affect the people arguing because they in the demographic that can fully partake anyway. I always think it is hilarious when I see people on this site arguing "high fashion" when they more then likely can't really afford to regularly shop in the places they are boosting and if they could how why would they be online wasting time arguing about it instead of enjoying their superior shops/cities?
This is always the argument, (why do you think I already posted the counter argument)damn you rich people, buying fancy stuff. Thing is, these things would not exist without the market demand. They do exist however, there is no arguing. But nice ad hominem attack on posters presenting valid arguments Jealousy is a *****. Thanks for acknowledging the superiority though, even though I am sure it pains you to do so. Nothing like good ol populist class warfare.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This is always the argument, (why do you think I already posted the counter argument already )damn you rich people, buying fancy stuff. Thing is, these things would not exist without the market demand. They do exist however, there is no arguing. But nice ad hominem attack on posters presenting valid arguments Jealousy is a *****.
Rich people? Why would there a bunch of "rich" people arguing over shops and boosting cities on this site? Get real dude. All it is is hating and homerism as most people on these sites probably never bought anything from the stores they are using to boost their cities but try to use use them to boost anyway. I'd be out shopping and enjoying the city if I had time to argue online about it ahah.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,763,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Who the hell wants to live in Hoboken>> Gross....Imo. Nasty gross New Jersians,.
Says the person with double "69" in their user name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City