Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Rich people? Why would there a bunch of "rich" people arguing over shops and boosting cities on this site? Get real dude. All it is is hating and homerism as most people on these sites probably never bought anything from the stores they are using to boost their cities but try to use use them to boost anyway. I'd be out shopping and enjoying the city if I had time to argue online about it ahah.
There is this thing called the internet that happened, many people work, while posting online, and have money. Surprise! So it usually works like this, you work, then enjoy city. You are right though, it is hating and homerism... but it seems to me this is on your part. I have no affiliation with New York, I won't however deny what it has, nor hate it for what it does. Nor will I act like a place has what it doesn't. Nor will I use ad hominem attacks to go against an argument I have no refute for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 01:45 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not aware of anything like SoHo, Chelsea or 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue shopping in Atlanta, nor near the caliber and variety of restaurants of NYC in Atlanta.
So the key word is "could", but they could also get way more stuff than Buckhead or Atlanta as a whole could dream of offering.
Please don't say Lennox Mall or something like Ruth Chris or Fogo de Chao.

And before you respond, sure those things aren't "necessary" and most american's will be satisfied with stuff like that. But I would argue people choosing to live in NYC aren't exactly "most american's" either and the standards of quality and range of NYC is much different than most places.
I knew I should have worded that clearer. What I meant to say is that people living in some parts of Buckhead, say for instance someone living at the Sovereign, can get quick access to world class dining, and shopping simply by taking a short walk. While someone in Hoboken would have to walk to the subway and journey to Manhattan and then most likely another walk or cab drive to get the same thing (you really don't want to make a habit of driving into New York).

I could for instance from there go to Fendi get my wife a Fendi bag and enjoy dinner at a five star restaurant and be back at home relaxing in way way less time than it would take you to travel to Manhattan to do the exact same thing. Yet you (or some of you) try to make Buckhead out to be this sprawling caveman village or something when some urban activities you can actually do easier in Buckhead than in Hoboken.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I knew I should have worded that clearer. What I meant to say is that people living in some parts of Buckhead, say for instance someone living at the Sovereign, can get quick access to world class dining, and shopping simply by taking a short walk. While someone in Hoboken would have to walk to the subway and journey to Manhattan and then maybe another walk to get the same thing (you really don't want to make a habit of driving into New York).

I could for instance from there go to Fendi get my wife a Fendi bag and enjoy dinner at a five star restaurant and be back at home relaxing in way way less time than it would take you to travel to Manhattan to do the exact same thing. Yet you (or some of you) try to make Buckhead out to be this sprawling caveman village or something when some urban activities you can actually do easier in Buckhead than in Hoboken.

well yes and no - people can get fendi bags in KOP PA and high end dinners (they now have 5 high end steak houses in that stupid mall), does that make it more urban or better than either Boken or Buckhead on these criteria? no!

There are boutiques and very good dining - higher end shopping and the highest concentration in the country is only minutes away or even a short drive from Boken to Short Hills mall if desired but I hate malls anyway

Yes there is not high end shopping or at least much in "Boken" - there are very good restaraunts though - there is a lot of disposable income in Boken as in Buckhead and there are establishments to take advantage of that.
I do agree with you the bars are better are better in Boken - the lounge scene is probably better in Buckhead

Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well yes and no - people can get fendi bags in KOP PA and high end dinners (they now have 5 high end steak houses in that stupid mall), does that make it more urban or better than either Boken or Buckhead on these criteria? not sure it does and there are boutiques and very good dining - higher end shopping and the highest concentration in the country is only minutes away or even a short drive from Boken to Short Hills mall if desired but I hate malls anyway

Yes there is not high end shopping or at least much in Boken - there are very good restaraunts though - there is a lot of disposable income in Boken as in Buckhead and there are establishments to take advantage of that.
I do agree with you the bars are better are better in Boken - the lounge scene is probably better in Buckhead
I personaly would prefer something from Macys or Dillards and a good hamburger but my argument was someone wanting the high end stuff could probably get it quicker if they lived in most of Buckhead than if they lived in Hoboken. And I could get that low end stuff easily too if I lived close to peachtree. All this talk about Buckhead being blown away by Hoboken is mostly just that. Talk. Yeah you have way more choice of what you want if you go into Manhattan but much of what a Hobokener would have to travel to New York to get someone in some parts of Buckhead could get with a quick walk.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I provided data to show the vast difference - from 801 sligo does it exclude the CBD - Silver Spring is somewhere around 10K and hoboken is somewhere around 30K - I have showed and proved this. Silver Spring is fine but not anywhere near the density you discuss - This was just proved

Here is an image

801 Sligo (includes the core CBD area you describe in my 3.14 sq miles)
801 Sligo Avenue, Silver Spring, MD - Google Maps

Now here is 300 Madison in Hoboken
300 Madison Street, Hoboken, NJ - Google Maps

Again am I missing something

Just for good measure Buckhead looks and is more urban than Silver Spring along Peachtree
100 Peachtree Road Northeast, Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

Well just for the record here is a similar image of KOP PA - google maps can lie because KOP is not urban or city life, at least IMHO

king of prussia pa - Google Maps

Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I personaly would prefer something from Macys or Dillards and a good hamburger but my argument was someone wanting the high end stuff could probably get it quicker if they lived in most of Buckhead than if they lived in Hoboken. And I could get that low end stuff easily too if I lived close to peachtree. All this talk about Buckhead being blown away by Hoboken is mostly just that. Talk. Yeah you have way more choice of what you want if you go into Manhattan but much of what a Hobokener would have to travel to New York to get someone in some parts of Buckhead could get with a quick walk.
wtf mate, there are plenty of things in Chicago I can't get and would love to have that NYC has, but you think you can get all this same stuff in Buckhead??? Nobody is making out Buckhead to anything but you guys are acting like Buckhead has way more than it has. It's a nice area for sure, but can't really even be mentioned in the same breath as direct access to Manhattan. For every Bacchanalia in Atlanta there are about 100 of them in NYC. Maybe you like shopping at Dillards and eating hamburgers, but realize not everybody does. All this stuff in NYC exists b/c there is a huge demand for it, it isn't there for show. There is a reason people pay a couple g's for a studio there what they could get a 4 bedroom house for in Atlanta. It's just a different mentality, no good or bad, but don't deny it isn't there.

Last edited by grapico; 10-21-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:

well the premise was on city living and access - most of Brooklyn does not have walking access to what you speak of, would you say Buckhead offers more urban city living and access when compared to Brooklyn.

I do follow your point and honestly there are few areas with some of what Buckhead has assuming you live in the main corrider but that being said those aspects are not what to me defines urban living - walking to the corner pub or cafe on urban streets is what conjure urban to me. I feel Buckhead has aspects of both urban and suburban - not truly either and that doesnt mean bad or good but on this criteria to me Hoboken is one of the best examples of urban living in the US

Old 10-21-2010, 04:09 PM

442 posts, read 827,796 times
Does urban = better all the time? I still want to know when people have real life conversation about the quality of a place as far as amenities and quality of life if density numbers and how close the building are is ever really brought up.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Does urban = better all the time? I still want to know when people have real life conversation about the quality of a place as far as amenities and quality of life if density numbers and how close the building are is ever really brought up.

No but the premise of this thread is on urbanity/city lifestyle - Not better or worse but which affords the greater abundance of this this lifestyle - Many more people in the US chose to live in suburban settings over urban settings and many newer developed cities dont even offer this aspect in the same vein as older developed cities so obviously there are many folks who prefer non-urabn. I err to the urban side but again this is all personal preferance on which is preffered - in terms of providing certain lifestyles, to me truly urban is only offered in some cities not all, that being said i do believe that Atlanta does offer urban living, maybe not as cohesive or as dense but it can definately be found - in Atlanta to me Midtown is more urban in feel to me than Buckhead - that being said I like Buckhead and understand completely why people choose to live there - it has a lot going on and offers varieties of living in a interesting place...

I also feel there is vibrance attained mostly correlated to neighborhoods with higher density that more fit my personal liking, now not all neighborhoods with density offer what I am looking for but the level of vibrance with continuity is mostly by my travels and places I have lived in these places - there is vibrance in many places however I feel the more dense core cities offer a downtown and neighborhood experience hard to replicate without the density and cohesion of the dense neighborhoods - but again this is my personal preferance, not all peoples.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Of course not, there are plenty of areas in Chicago I would have no desire to live in much less even go there out of fear of getting mugged.

Now if it is nice urban, it changes things, b/c the lifestyle options are much different and is only possible in that environment. Now if that is not your choice of life, then fine, but plenty of people enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City