Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:16 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Don't you dare say such a thing.
That makes us NJians wannabe's- Access and location is "reaching" or "a crutch"- Us NJians have no identity, no one pays attention to NJ. Don't you know that?

NJ doesn't have the highest taxes in the nation because it's the great state of NJ... It's all about location, access, and QOL.
Your first paragraph was meant to be a joke, But in reality its all true which is hilarious. How many times did nj mention nyc in this thread(a city that has nothing to do with the comparison. NJ doesnt have an identity. I could have seen if njians mentioned there access to JERSEY city, but to a city in another state entirely

Nj has high taxes because its near ny, without the ammenities that nyc has. How laughable. That same mentality of no identity is the reason why nj is trying to build a multi billion dollar tunnel to manhattan, with no help or finance coming from nyc or nyc taxpayers at all. Why dont ya use that money to invest in your own cities. They could use it. O thats right nj hangs on the proverbial sack of nyc. A city that could careless about the project. But its all one metro right

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
And the Bronx is less desirable than either........................ Lets not kid ourselves here.
I know tons of people from The Bronx; and they all live in New Jersey.
Like someone from riverdale,where im from,pelham gardens basically the whole north bronx really would care about how someone from nj looks at the bxs desirability . Lets not kid ourselves theres more people living in the X than anywhere in nj. We have our own identity. We are apart of nyc and still dont use manhattan as a crutch, same thing with the other boros
in VS threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post

Considering Hoboken is a city in another state it should stand on it's own two feet against a neighborhood without leaning on NYC.
Qouted for truth. This goes over there head though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Your first paragraph was meant to be a joke, But in reality its all true which is hilarious. How many times did nj mention nyc in this thread(a city that has nothing to do with the comparison. NJ doesnt have an identity. I could have seen if njians mentioned there access to JERSEY city, but to a city in another state entirely

Nj has high taxes because its near ny, without the ammenities that nyc has. How laughable. That same mentality of no identity is the reason why nj is trying to build a multi billion dollar tunnel to manhattan, with no help or finance coming from nyc or nyc taxpayers at all. Why dont ya use that money to invest in your own cities. They could use it. O thats right nj hangs on the proverbial sack of nyc. A city that could careless about the project. But its all one metro right
-Uh huh, that's why Broadway plays "Jersey Boys" and banks
-That's why 6 of the 8 cast members of "Jersey Shore" were New Yorkers
-That's why you can never keep NJ out of your mouth

Because NY doesn't care about NJ

And as far as Access to the heart of NYC (Manhattan), NJians have it best as opposed to anywhere else outside of the city- Don't try to lie to yourself and say LI or Westchester has better access. You can try to say "Manhattan" isn't everything as far as "The City" goes, but to NJians, that's all that matters.
Hoboken has no choice but to leave city boundaries to go to work- But using your logic, wveryone living in one square mile SHOULD WORK in that squre mile, otherwise they'd be "leeching"- Manhattan is only for job access, other than that, no one is using Manhattan as a crutch to anything- I know for a fact Hoboken offers plenty.
NYC has spilled into NJ, not the other way around- You're so arrogant, ignorant and pitiful- 1/3rd of Manhattan is employed NJaians- NYC doesn't function it's greatness all by itself.

Last edited by BPerone201; 10-22-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM

65 posts, read 97,736 times
Quote:
. A city that could careless about the project. But its all one metro right
It actually is a metro.

I love NYC dearly, but the concept of metropolitan areas isn't a difficult one to grasp. But nearly all of New York City's high-powered workforce (what makes the region so wealthy/powerful/mighty) lives in Manhattan, suburban Connecticut, suburban New Jersey, Westchester, Long Island. Not Bronx. New Jersey certainly plays a part in the reason you can sit here on city-data all day and troll about how powerful and mighty New York City is compared to the rest of the world.

If we built a Great Wall of New York, and banned people from the metropolitan area from coming into New York City, who would vacate these high paid jobs that make New York City so powerful and wealthy? Clearly not many of these people will come from Bronx.

I've lived briefly in Greenwich, and whether you like it or not...I could drive from the peace and serenity of my sprawling Greenwich home, get into my car, reach Manhattan in 15~20 minutes, park the car in the garage, stay in Manhattan all day and bask in its glorious culture. At the end of the day I could get back in my car, drive 20 minutes and return to the serenity of my Greenwich home.

Now tell me, what were the alleged "boundaries" that kept me from arriving in the city faster than the average person in the Bronx? What were the boundaries that kept me from enjoying the world's greatest city on a daily basis? And the "boundaries" that separated me from New York culture and intellectualism (most of my neighbors were actually New Yorkers)? How do boundaries affect the normal person (outside of city-data) on a day-to-day basis?

And yes, I've also lived in Manhattan...and I would much rather live in Hoboken than Bronx.

In the real world, boundaries mean absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Like someone from riverdale,where im from,pelham gardens basically the whole north bronx really would care about how someone from nj looks at the bxs desirability .
Yes, but Riverdale, Pehlam Gardens, (basically the whole North Bronx) constitutes for probably 5-15% of the boroughs population.

The Bronx in general is poor and uneducated.

Quote:
Lets not kid ourselves theres more people living in the X than anywhere in nj. We have our own identity.
The Bronx's identity is a very negative one.
Quote:
We are apart of nyc and still dont use manhattan as a crutch, same thing with the other boros
Culturally, the Bronx and Manhattan might as well be on different planets.

Last edited by CaliYork; 10-22-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
-Uh huh, that's why Broadway plays "Jersey Boys" and banks
-That's why 6 of the 8 cast members of "Jersey Shore" were New Yorkers
-That's why you can never keep NJ out of your mouth

Because NY doesn't care about NJ

And as far as Access to the heart of Manhattan, NJians have it best as opposed to anywhere else outside of the city- Don't try to lie to yourself and say LI or Westchester has better access. You can try to say "Manhattan" isn't everything, but to NJians, that's all that matters.

NYC has spilled into NJ, not the other way around- You're so arrogant, ignorant and pitiful- 1/3rd of Manhattan is employed Njaians- NYC doesn't function it's greatness all by itself.

I doubt you got this far.
Your post are entertaining to me because they can easily be dismantled.

Case/point

-Ny plays shows from chicago to london. You really think jersey boys is played on broadway because nyc has a certain affection for the state. U know better than that

-Lol the jersey shore? If anything its an example of nyers embarassing new jersey, without any consequence to ny itself, but all the heat to nj.lol

-I cant keep nj out my mouth off the annoyance that nj cant seem to keep nyc out of its mouth. As seen in this thread by way of-via, leeching. As always

-Manhattan is all that matters? By clear majority-that goes without saying. But i see enough nj plates in the other boros to know what time it really is. Its everyday with ya in the bx alone. Say nay if u want too.

-Lastly nyc has to deal with nj spilling into nyc every single freaking day. Do u really want to go there?

Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
-Lol the jersey shore? If anything its an example of nyers embarassing new jersey, without any consequence to ny itself, but all the heat to nj.lol
This right here explains everything.
You just want NJ belittled one way or the other, even when in reality, NYers are the ones giving the stereotype so much hype.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:

-Lastly nyc has to deal with nj spilling into nyc every single freaking day. Do u really want to go there?
Please, if that was such a bad thing NYC wouldn't be the most powerful city in the nation.
You still don't know the meaning of a metropolitan area- Which automatically schleps you down to the biggest NY troll on CD. Crappy sentence structure, ignorant logic, and Obsessive NJ Disorder.

And you still continue to flaunt your same old non-reputable crap.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Please, if that was such a bad thing NYC wouldn't be the most powerful city in the nation.
You still don't know the meaning of a metropolitan area- Which automatically schleps you down to the biggest NY troll on CD. Crappy sentence structure, ignorant logic, and Obsessive NJ Disorder.
NYC is what it is because of its millions of taxpayers. The bulk of which lives outside manhattan.

The majority of people working in nycs powerful sectors are from ny not greenwich connecticut or new jersey

Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
NYC is what it is because of its millions of taxpayers. The bulk of which lives outside manhattan.

The majority of people working in nycs powerful sectors are NYC TRANSPLANTS
Fixed.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Fixed.
Transplants that live within ny,if they are trans or not

Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Transplants that live within ny,if they are trans or not
So what do you call all those NYC transplants in NJ who still work in NYC? "Traders"
Bottom line, NYC relies on outside sources to fully function what it has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City