Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,901,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You realize where Hoboken is right? Where are all tehse amenities? in the lennox mall?
Stop acting like no one has said where these amenities could be found. Yes they are near Lenox and Phipps, but also in the Buckhead village, in Lindbergh, in Peachtree battle, and on and on.

Quote:
Did I lie with all those chain restaurants? Are the overwhelming majority of them chains?

waronxmas, the amount of exclusive places just aren't that much man. I can go up to Evanston and get the same stuff. Lets just throw Evanston out, its about 70K people, 9k density over 8 miles. Does Atlanta have anywhere in the city that can hold that kind of amenities in density?
You act as if the presence of chains in a city is:

A.) Unique to Atlanta
B.) The only thing that exists in Buckhead

Just using the Lenox as an example there is:

Bone's Steakhouse - One of the top ten steakhouses in the country according to Zagat, the New York Times, USA Today, Travel and Leisure, and a whole host of others:
Bone´s Review

Au Pied de Cochon - 24 hour french restaurant headed by up and coming Paris native Chef Michael Buard
Home

Market - Upscale Jean-Georges concept (the only US location for one of their restaurants outside Manhattan and Vegas. The only two other restaurants are in Paris and Shanghai)
http://www.marketbuckhead.com/

Craft - Run by Chef/Owner Tom Colicchio (again, only of two of his restaurants outside Manhattan, Vegas or LA)

Then there are the local Buckhead Life Group's upscale restaurants in the area:

-Bistro Niko - French
-Bluepointe - Modern American
-Kyma - Contemporary Greek
-Buckhead Diner - Upscale diner (thats right, you aren't reading that wrong. French Toast costs $20 there...but it really is the best french toast you will ever have)
-Pricci - Upscale Italian
-Atlanta Fish Market - One of the top seafood restaurants in the country according to Frommer's and Zagat Atlanta Fish Market Awards/Buzz | Buckhead Life Restaurant Group

And there are still more locally owned restaurants just in the Lenox area that more than outweigh what ever chains are in the area.

So yes, the upscale options are that much. That's just the list for a single neighborhood in Buckhead and not even a complete one. There are a several more to choose from and they all have very good dining options. Some of the best in the country.

And while were on Lenox, you may look down on it because it is a mall (I wish it were along the street, but when it was built it made sense to make it a mall) but because of it and Phipps across the street, Buckhead has the highest concentration of upscale boutiques of any district in the country. So there goes a density figure for you. Upscale density.

Quote:
That was just my starting point, b/c somebody was saying a hotel there was the 2nd tallest in the U.S. (which it isn't btw) and wanted to see what a nice hotel had around it. There isn't a single person out on the street, nobody. That wasn't the point though.
Atlanta does indeed have the second tallest hotel in the United States. It's a full 1 foot shorter than it's sister in Detroit:
List of tallest hotels in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is not in Buckhead however, so if someone insinuated that then it would be incorrect as it is Downtown.

Quote:
If you were to travel that far in Buckhead, 80 miles thats ridiculous. I would sure hope 80 square miles would have more than tiny Hoboken.
And that is the point that is being made here. Even if Hoboken were to remove all of its residents and changed every single building into an upscale shopping, dining, or arts destination it STILL would not have more than Buckhead because of its small size. That is biggest distinction between the two. In Hoboken, you would have to travel to Manhattan to get amenities that someone in Buckhead would just have to go around the corner to get to. Before any one adds it, that last sentence is not to mean "Buckhead has everything Manhattan has".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 PM

442 posts, read 822,699 times
Quote:
How wrong you are. How old are you anyway? I've probably lived more years down south than you. I'm very aware of what exists there. I've only been to Atlanta about 30 times...I know what is there man. Nobody is saying it isn't a city. It just isn't what most people think of as urban city life. I could easily have lived in Atlanta, it doesn't fit what I want in urban life, nor is it even close. I could be closer to my parents, lower cost of living, but in key areas of what I want, Atlanta just doesn't do it.

You want west coast examples? Hrrmm try Silicon Valley.

Try West Hollywood.

BTW, FACT every single one of the main west coast cities, San Diego, LA, SF, Oakland, San Jose, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Sacramento are all denser than ATL. Many of them have suburbs denser than ATL.

LoL @ just defending, please.

You think your city is on the same level or superior, it isn't.

I use google maps because anybody online can look at it objectively vs other cities. Is there something there you don't want them to see?

And yes several posters have gone after Chi or NYC before, maybe not you. Others will definitely go after Philly or Boston though... which is equally a big joke.

If Atlanta is this urban city life, which other urban city life cities *IS* it comparable to then? Lets clear this up once and for all.

Strawman again. Who is comparing Atlanta to Hollywood? Who said it was better then cities twice its size? You don't like Atlanta. Fine, go live your life in city you feel is better and quit wasting it here.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
How wrong you are. How old are you anyway? I've probably lived more years down south than you. I'm very aware of what exists there. I've only been to Atlanta about 30 times...I know what is there man. Nobody is saying it isn't a city. It just isn't what most people think of as urban city life. I could easily have lived in Atlanta, it doesn't fit what I want in urban life, nor is it even close. I could be closer to my parents, lower cost of living, but in key areas of what I want, Atlanta just doesn't do it.

You want west coast examples? Hrrmm try Silicon Valley.

Try West Hollywood.

BTW, FACT every single one of the main west coast cities, San Diego, LA, SF, Oakland, San Jose, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Sacramento are all denser than ATL. Many of them have suburbs denser than ATL.

LoL @ just defending, please.

You think your city is on the same level or superior, it isn't.

I use google maps because anybody online can look at it objectively vs other cities. Is there something there you don't want them to see?

And yes several posters have gone after Chi or NYC before, maybe not you. Others will definitely go after Philly or Boston though... which is equally a big joke.

If Atlanta is this urban city life, which other urban city life cities *IS* it comparable to then? Lets clear this up once and for all.
I could pick this apart, but, eh. No sense arguing with high density...and I'm not talking of the building or people per square mile variety.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:16 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I could pick this apart, but, eh. No sense arguing with high density...and I'm not talking of the building or people per square mile variety.
Please pick it apart. Go for it. Or do you not think the amount of people in a place factors in to the life there? Does it, or does it not?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Please pick it apart. Go for it. Or do you not think the amount of people in a place factors in to the life there? Does it, or does it not?
What's the point? You have your view of Atlanta not being urban and thinking the Atlanta posters on this thread are trying to say its on the level of NYC, Chicago, LA or wherever. What ever I post won't change that, so you may keep that impression...even if it is wrong.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Strawman again. Who is comparing Atlanta to Hollywood? Who said it was better then cities twice its size? You don't like Atlanta. Fine, go live your life in city you feel is better and quit wasting it here.
Galounger asked for a suburb on the west coast with amenities of Buckhead, I gave them. Atlanta is almost triple Portland CSA size, not the other way around. How come I can state this stuff, but then it has to do with what I like or don't like. What me or you like really doesn't matter.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Galounger asked for a suburb on the west coast with amenities of Buckhead, I gave them. Atlanta is almost triple Portland CSA size, not the other way around. How come I can state this stuff, but then it has to do with what I like or don't like. What me or you like really doesn't matter.

Portland? What on earth are you talking about, who mentioned Portland other then you?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Georgia is obviously on someones mind. We got people bringing out all kinds of cities against ATL no one even tried to compare or put down. If people live in such superior cities then why are they online bashing another? It seems the ATL people spend more time enjoying there supposedly "inferior" city while other come on here bashing it.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Georgia is obviously on someones mind. We got people bringing out all kinds of cities against ATL no one even tried to compare or put down. If people live in such superior cities then why are they online bashing another? It seems the ATL people spend more time enjoying there supposedly "inferior" city while other come on here bashing it.
I'm trying to make it easier to understand for you by comparing cities you might have been to, using facts and statistics, because many people on this board think Atlanta is pretty urban, and in the same sentence will call Queens modern suburban.
You have people on this board claiming Atlanta to resemble Tokyo much less NYC. You've got 60 narrow minded people that voted for Atlanta over Hoboken thinking it has better access. Obviously Atlanta needs to be brought down a notch, into this country it shares with other cities, and into reality on where it matches up, which is why I mentioned Portland, matches up pretty well don't you think?
When Atlanta gets called out, and at the ends of the refutes, instead of admitting it, people like you say "oh you just don't like it, somebody has it out, wah wah wah" Face reality, son. Hop off and fall back son, or maybe post another rap video of some phony ass rappers, yeah that will work well.

Let it be known that Atlanta posters think a few high rises, thrown in some amenities with barely over 4,000 ppsqm density equates to "city life and access"

Last edited by grapico; 10-26-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to make it easier to understand for you by comparing cities you might have been to, using facts and statistics, because many people on this board thing Atlanta is pretty urban, and in the same sentence will call Queens modern suburban.
You have people on this board claiming Atlanta to resemble Tokyo much less NYC. You've got 60 narrow minded people that voted for Atlanta over Hoboken thinking it has better access. Obviously Atlanta needs to be brought down a notch.
Who on earth said ATL was better or just as "good" as Tokyo or NYC? I bet no one said that but since "they are in the same sentence" someone took it as some absurd comparison it was never meant to be like usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City