Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Jersey City 47 47.00%
Pittsburgh 53 53.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,239,635 times

Advertisements

I obviously voted for the city that I reside in, but I actually REALLY like Pittsburgh. I think it is the ideal mid-sized city, which (greedily! haha) occupies it's own metropolitan area.

Pittsburgh lacks location, however. I've been in the company of people from western Pennsylvania in/around Jersey City, and they have been blown away by the views/entertainment/access/amount of things to do overall in and around Jersey City.

As much as I love Jersey City *FOR* it's location, I also love it as one of America's most historic cities...and part of me wishes it could have it's own day in the sun without being in the shadow of NYC (aka the GLOBE'S most well known city!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:17 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,844,028 times
For BPerone
You said Black Beauty 212 keeps dragging in jc hangs on NYCs coattails but the fact is YOU brought up ( your #44) "we're one big Metro-Pittsburgh can't compare to that now can it" She's not rambling -she's merely re stating the fact that jc hangs on NYC's coattails.
Oh, another nearby metro area for Pittsburgh would be Eighty Four, Pa. about 20 minutes south of da Burgh-where 84 Lumber is. the owner of 84 Lumber, Joe Hardy has enough money that he could probably make it into a little metropolis.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I obviously voted for the city that I reside in, but I actually REALLY like Pittsburgh. I think it is the ideal mid-sized city, which (greedily! haha) occupies it's own metropolitan area.

Pittsburgh lacks location, however. I've been in the company of people from western Pennsylvania in/around Jersey City, and they have been blown away by the views/entertainment/access/amount of things to do overall in and around Jersey City.

As much as I love Jersey City *FOR* it's location, I also love it as one of America's most historic cities...and part of me wishes it could have it's own day in the sun without being in the shadow of NYC (aka the GLOBE'S most well known city!)
The only people who put jersey city in a shadow are residents of jersey city. With all there absurd "sixth borough" claims and "we are just like brooklyn" nonsense

Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
The only people who put jersey city in a shadow are residents of jersey city. With all there absurd "sixth borough" claims and "we are just like brooklyn" nonsense
Isn't it the NYers purchasing so much office space in JC lately?
The hell if they would of did that in the Bronx.

You're a perfect example why NJ's cities never get a chance to be themselves. They always have those ugly souls in NYC who love to belittle places out of ignorance. And since NJ is closest, they have a blast poking fun at what it is as the NYC metro. IT's irnoic, oxy-moron, and ignorant.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
For BPerone
You said Black Beauty 212 keeps dragging in jc hangs on NYCs coattails but the fact is YOU brought up ( your #44) "we're one big Metro-Pittsburgh can't compare to that now can it" She's not rambling -she's merely re stating the fact that jc hangs on NYC's coattails.
Oh, another nearby metro area for Pittsburgh would be Eighty Four, Pa. about 20 minutes south of da Burgh-where 84 Lumber is. the owner of 84 Lumber, Joe Hardy has enough money that he could probably make it into a little metropolis.
Are you BlackBeauty?
I think she can speak for herself

She kept mentioning NYC as "the bread and butter of JC's economy"- She also mentioned Newark.
I defended JC as an individual, but since she kept mentioning JC's geographical location- If she keeps doing that, of course I'm going to bring up Pittsburgh's metro- and since that can't compare at all, it all of the sudden doesn't count!?
She dug a hole and fell in it and now the random "rhondee" account appears to defend "her" case. I don't believe you and BlackBeauty are two different people for a second.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Isn't it the NYers purchasing so much office space in JC lately?
The hell if they would of did that in the Bronx.

You're a perfect example why NJ's cities never get a chance to be themselves. They always have those ugly souls in NYC who love to belittle places out of ignorance. And since NJ is closest, they have a blast poking fun at what it is as the NYC metro. IT's irnoic, oxy-moron, and ignorant.
Your always pointing out the bronx. Im a new yorker who lives in New york city. All five boroughs are my city. Are the yankees a bronx only sports team? I know your best bet to ridicule is to try to divide the city which is ridiculous. Let nyers worry about boroughs, im from NYC thats all that is important

And my post was referring to the claim that ny is the only reason jc lacks an identity

Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,145,924 times
Today is old-timers day in the Bronx . Too bad Bob Sheppard and The Boss couldn't be there R.I.P

Old 07-17-2010, 01:34 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,017 times
Quote:
That sixth borough moniker came from NYers who moved to JC...

And let's not act as if Manhattan has no gravity and casts no shadow in all directions. Your own BX cannot escape the shadow of Manhattan.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
That sixth borough moniker came from NYers who moved to JC..

So its really transplanted nyers fault for the whole brooklyn thing too come on

Quote:
And let's not act as if Manhattan has no gravity and casts no shadow in all directions. Your own BX cannot escape the shadow of Manhattan.
There are things in the bronx..brooklyn,queens that are distinctive to that specific borough. The bronx has no problem being in the shadow of manhattan its the same freaking city

Old 07-17-2010, 01:44 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,017 times
Quote:

So its really transplanted nyers fault for the whole brooklyn thing too come on

There are things in the bronx..brooklyn,queens that are distinctive to that specific borough. The bronx has no problem being in the shadow of manhattan its the same freaking city

As a matter of fact it is their fault.

Sure, there are things in those boroughs worth mentioning, but that fact is...the Bronx is the worse part of that particular city. Most things that are bad about NYC are in the Bronx.

NYC general didn't happen on JC's waterfront...Manhattan did more specifically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City