Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does Philadelphia share more similarities with?
New York City 73 91.25%
Chicago 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL. Philadelphia has too many to count. It's not even that they are all violent. They just look bad. I mean really really bad. Like make you want to vomit bad. If you've ever seen the show, "It's Always In Philadelphia," my best friend from high school's mother looks exactly like Mac's mom, and she sits on a beach chair on the sidewalk and smokes cigarettes all day. They have astro-turf for carpet. Philadelphia has a lot of super crummy, tacky disgusting looking neighborhoods. Just keeping it real.

As far as the worst neighborhoods in the city, there's the Badlands, Nicetown, Tioga, Strawberry Mansion, Stingers Park, and sections of Southwest Philly.

YouTube - Badlands - Empire Rock Club
Thanks for the post. Your verbal description was the real winner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
LOL I love how New York City is now completely absent from the comparison.

What is the worst neighborhood of New York City? East Harlem?
Visually? I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be East Harlem. East New York, Brownsville and East Flatbush are still pretty bad. Maybe one of those areas or a few sections of the South Bronx.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I smell a somerville vs Hoboken thread
Jesus, I hope not; Hoboken vs. the World, etc...

Somerville, simply put, is the Triple-decker Capital of the Universe; some refer to it as "Slumerville", and in some cases, it's appropriate; other parts of Somerville are quite desirable, and highly-sought after ( near Davis Square, on the Red Line...

Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Some areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn would be pretty bad

As an aside most the NYers will probably not like that philly is being compared to NY - hence the low volume of NY noise, god forbid
LOL they're winning the poll 36-3, biggest landslide I've ever seen.

They're trying to pull a fast one and slip out of the thread while they're not getting attention.

Yeah, I have heard there are plenty of areas of Brooklyn that are described as "rough around the edges". The only rough area I've seen has been South Bay San Diego.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
LOL they're winning the poll 36-3, biggest landslide I've ever seen.

They're trying to pull a fast one and slip out of the thread while they're not getting attention.

Yeah, I have heard there are plenty of areas of Brooklyn that are described as "rough around the edges". The only rough area I've seen has been South Bay San Diego.

They actually do not want to win, saying Philly shares similarities is their issue, this is a loss to them

and BTW - on your travels this summer, drive out of DC on NY Ave - you will see a bad neighborhood, i would not even suggest north philly, it is isnt safe and will have less traffic than NY Ave in DC, plus that stretch is fairly short

Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
As you can see from this video, many parts of Philadelphia are very similar to Queens and Brooklyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSJQ...eature=related

Baltimore is very depressing. But at least their rundown homes are vacant. In Philadelphia, you have people living in dilapidated, rat-infested housing in former industrial zones. That's not cool.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Jesus, I hope not; Hoboken vs. the World, etc...

Somerville, simply put, is the Triple-decker Capital of the Universe; some refer to it as "Slumerville", and in some cases, it's appropriate; other parts of Somerville are quite desirable, and highly-sought after ( near Davis Square, on the Red Line...

It was sarcasm - as crazy as those threads seemed I did have point when I started them

And I agree in that areas like Someville and brookline have in my opinion some areas that i would be quite happy living in

Old 07-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
It was sarcasm - as crazy as those threads seemed I did have point when I started them

And I agree in that areas like Someville and brookline have in my opinion some areas that i would be quite happy living in
..just wanted to point out that ALL of Brookline is considered desirable, even VERY desirable, as it's a very prosperous community; unfortunately, it's also very expensive...

I fugured that you were just having a little fun; after all, does anybody in CA know about anything about Hoboken?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As you can see from this video, many parts of Philadelphia are very similar to Queens and Brooklyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSJQ...eature=related

Baltimore is very depressing. But at least their rundown homes are vacant. In Philadelphia, you have people living in dilapidated, rat-infested housing in former industrial zones. That's not cool.
It really does look like a street in New York, especially with the elevated tracks running right down the middle of the road and corner stores and stuff. That could've been Queens if I didn't see the title.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
bajanyankee, most of the pictures i posted ARE what chicago looks like... that is why the housing stock is different, many different examples...
so yes most of Chicago looks like that? Not sure what you are trying to say. Chicago is a BIG place, it has many different "looks" and has a pretty wide range of styles

I mean do you want to see dense areas downtown and out? or...your links aren't representative of it at all. Where did you go in Chicago?
Typical downtown scenes

the rest are neighborhoods allover the place...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City