Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city do you like better?
Houston 35 39.77%
Denver 53 60.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times

Advertisements

Well that's good to know. Denver is a cool city. Awesome Danny, can you tell me what you liked so great about Denver when you were there because neither city has more than the other. Except Denver's 16th Street Mall and Houston's restaurant and museum scene.

I really can't see Denver beating Chicago or Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Ok no disrespect to anyone, but let's try to keep it as accurate a vote as possible, meaning for people who have actually visited or lived in both cities. Going based on by speculation is not a fair vote and I'm thinking that there's already a Texas stigma going on here.
Do the results of a non-scientific poll based entirely on others' opinions really mean that much to you?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Do the results of a non-scientific poll based entirely on others' opinions really mean that much to you?
I never said they meant that much to me but it is interesting to see since I'm a former Coloarado resident and a current Texas resident. Like you said, its an opinion. How can it be an accurately- formed opinion if people are voting when they haven't really had a chance to visit both cities?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,894 times
Denver is a decent city. But I prefer Houston. Better job scene, cheaper housing. Denver may have the mountains nearby, but all I have to do is hop in my car head south a bit, jump in the boat and in a short time I am in the Flower Garden Bank. I love the ocean and the Flower Garden coral reef is great if you are into diving. I love Colorado as well because I am an outdoors kind of guy, but the winters are too long. Of course, in Denver, at least the weather warms up a bit in the afternoon, something that never happens in the northern mid-west.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Default I've Met Lots of Snooty People In Denver...

My family and I moved to Colorado almost two years ago and I must say that I have met a lot of snooty people since living here. In fact, I can count on one hand the amount of nice or well-mannered people we've come across since our move. We first moved to Highlands Ranch where I attempted to join a Highlands Ranch Mom play group on a meetup website. I asked to join the group and was never accepted nor denied. I believe this was to ensure that I couldn't join the group or request to join again. I emailed the group's organizer and still, over a year later, I haven't received a reply. I shouldn't have been surprised because I had been warned that HR is full of snooty people. This was just one incident of many. There was a situation where the local UPS guy would kick my boxes through the door instead of handing them to me... He continued doing this until my husband spoke to him about it, to which he rattled off something about him not being able to come in my house. However, he had nothing to say when I told him that he could've handed the boxes to me like every other delivery person I'd ever met... There were several incidents at different nail salons where the employees interrogated me about why I was in Highlands Ranch and not Aurora, and another that purposely ruined my nails. There's also the people that would gawk and stare at me and some that have said the most rude and disrespectful things that have ever been said to me. I don't know what's worse...to say, "Hi" to someone and have them stare you in the face, grimace, and walk away; to say "Hi" and watch the person completely ignore you, acting as though you're not even there; or to say "Hi" only for them to acknowledge you by saying something disrespectful... This was just the beginning and since moving to Parker less than a year ago, things have gotten worse.

Never, ever have I experienced such a high amount of snooty people in such a short amount of time. There has been a lot of other incidents that have happened but, I'd need to make several replies just to post them all. It's because of all of these things, that my husband and I who btw, are a biracial couple, (Cuban and African-American), are planning to visit Houston with the hopes of finding a friendlier place for us to raise our children. We've heard and read good things about Houston and can't wait to get as far from Colorado as possible. The warm weather is appealing since we are from a tropical climate and the winters in Denver are just too long. The mountains are great but, right now, we can only look at them...no mountain climbing for a while... and after evaluating factors, like weather, cost of living, job availability, and our previous experiences here, we are choosing to give Houston a try. Oh, let me add that although we aren't fans of the Denver area, we've met really friendly people in Colorado Springs. So, not all of Colorado is snooty, IMO.

*Please forgive me. It's late but, I had to add my two cents

Old 05-27-2013, 12:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
For visiting, Denver. Beautiful, but the winters there are much too cold!
For living, Houston. It's smoggy, but at least there's palm trees and a nice climate.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
For visiting, Denver. Beautiful, but the winters there are much too cold!
For living, Houston. It's smoggy, but at least there's palm trees and a nice climate.
Coastal living > .

Old 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaG05 View Post
My family and I moved to Colorado almost two years ago and I must say that I have met a lot of snooty people since living here. In fact, I can count on one hand the amount of nice or well-mannered people we've come across since our move. We first moved to Highlands Ranch where I attempted to join a Highlands Ranch Mom play group on a meetup website. I asked to join the group and was never accepted nor denied. I believe this was to ensure that I couldn't join the group or request to join again. I emailed the group's organizer and still, over a year later, I haven't received a reply. I shouldn't have been surprised because I had been warned that HR is full of snooty people. This was just one incident of many. There was a situation where the local UPS guy would kick my boxes through the door instead of handing them to me... He continued doing this until my husband spoke to him about it, to which he rattled off something about him not being able to come in my house. However, he had nothing to say when I told him that he could've handed the boxes to me like every other delivery person I'd ever met... There were several incidents at different nail salons where the employees interrogated me about why I was in Highlands Ranch and not Aurora, and another that purposely ruined my nails. There's also the people that would gawk and stare at me and some that have said the most rude and disrespectful things that have ever been said to me. I don't know what's worse...to say, "Hi" to someone and have them stare you in the face, grimace, and walk away; to say "Hi" and watch the person completely ignore you, acting as though you're not even there; or to say "Hi" only for them to acknowledge you by saying something disrespectful... This was just the beginning and since moving to Parker less than a year ago, things have gotten worse.

Never, ever have I experienced such a high amount of snooty people in such a short amount of time. There has been a lot of other incidents that have happened but, I'd need to make several replies just to post them all. It's because of all of these things, that my husband and I who btw, are a biracial couple, (Cuban and African-American), are planning to visit Houston with the hopes of finding a friendlier place for us to raise our children. We've heard and read good things about Houston and can't wait to get as far from Colorado as possible. The warm weather is appealing since we are from a tropical climate and the winters in Denver are just too long. The mountains are great but, right now, we can only look at them...no mountain climbing for a while... and after evaluating factors, like weather, cost of living, job availability, and our previous experiences here, we are choosing to give Houston a try. Oh, let me add that although we aren't fans of the Denver area, we've met really friendly people in Colorado Springs. So, not all of Colorado is snooty, IMO.

*Please forgive me. It's late but, I had to add my two cents
I'm sorry that you're experience has been that people are snooty in CO, but I think that generalizing Denver because you moved to Highlands Ranch makes your assessment a little unfair. You're living in a Stepford Wives suburb 25 miles from the city center! I've lived in the middle of Capitol Hill for the last three years, and people in the city wouldn't bat an eye at a biracial family or two guys in purple mohawks holding hands! Honestly I've never in my life been to a place where people were so willing to strike up random conversation, act as great tour guides to the region, or just happy to be there. The other things you mentioned- cost of housing, climate, etc. are all valid criticisms, but I really think that picking a generic, upscale, homogenous suburb was your downfall. I'd probably dislike the people in the area, too, if I lived there.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:05 AM

137 posts, read 220,124 times
Denver for me

Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
I prefer Houston overall. Denver is just too isolated and cold for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City