Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Dallas like an overgrown Oklahoma City?
Yes, it is just like Oklahoma City. 62 36.90%
No, it is nothing like that Oklahoma City 106 63.10%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma City isn't a hick city, I was joking.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,189,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't think he's out of line calling Oklahoma City a "hick city"...it's a small city in the middle of nowhere. Obviously it's not only filled with a bunch of hicks...but it's in a desolate area and it's far from being major...don't take it as an insult, as I'm sure he was just referring to the isolation of the city.
First of all, I don't think OKC compares with Dallas. Dallas is a major city that compares with LA and NYC. But how is it isolated when it's 2 1/2 hours from Dallas which is a major city? It's also within 5 hours of Kansas City and Little Rock, 3 hours of Wichita, 2 hours of Tulsa. Denver, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque and Boise are isolated. OKC metro has over a million people. That's not small. It's not a densely populated as the east coast but I wouldn't really consider it isolated anymore than any other city in this part of the us.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:12 PM

OKC used to be more of a workingmans city. Not very impressive. Tulsa was kind of the flashy city for Oklahoma. Over the last 10-15 years the city has done so much with their downtown it's amazing. There is a reason the Supersonics left Seattle and chose OKC over Kansas City or St Louis or any other city. I am not saying OKC is better than those cities. I love KC. I'm just saying from a business standpoint it was a good fit with the economic development of the city as well as no other major sports teams to compete with. No you won't find densely populated areas in OKC. You really won't find that anywhere in OK or TX compared with a NYC or Boston. The point is OKC is an up and coming city. There are lots of oil and energy companies that keep a stable enconomy. They are currently building the lagest skyscraper in the state. I can't remember how tall it is but it's pretty dang tall. OKC is developing its style. Dallas has always had all of these things so they are way ahead in terms of amenities. I like both cities. They have some similarities but Dallas is so much larger it's difficult to compare. Oh and any city that gets as much rain as OKC has had recently, is not desolate. True, there aren't any redwood forrests in the state but there are plenty of trees compared to western OK and TX.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
OKC used to be more of a workingmans city. Not very impressive. Tulsa was kind of the flashy city for Oklahoma. Over the last 10-15 years the city has done so much with their downtown it's amazing. There is a reason the Supersonics left Seattle and chose OKC over Kansas City or St Louis or any other city. I am not saying OKC is better than those cities. I love KC. I'm just saying from a business standpoint it was a good fit with the economic development of the city as well as no other major sports teams to compete with. No you won't find densely populated areas in OKC. You really won't find that anywhere in OK or TX compared with a NYC or Boston. The point is OKC is an up and coming city. There are lots of oil and energy companies that keep a stable enconomy. They are currently building the lagest skyscraper in the state. I can't remember how tall it is but it's pretty dang tall. OKC is developing its style. Dallas has always had all of these things so they are way ahead in terms of amenities. I like both cities. They have some similarities but Dallas is so much larger it's difficult to compare. Oh and any city that gets as much rain as OKC has had recently, is not desolate. True, there aren't any redwood forrests in the state but there are plenty of trees compared to western OK and TX.
It's the Devon Energy building. 50 stories, currently under construction.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
False. I think it's great that you know such much about Boston without even having been here. Well done.

PS. You shouldn't come.
I lived in Boston in the late 90's....so yeh, I'm familiar with it. Next time try reading through the thread a tad more before you go poppin' off there, Fella.

Cheers.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
When did I ever say anything like that?

When have I ever said I knew anything about OKC? I said it "appeared" a certain way just from what I've heard. So like I said in my previous post, am I wrong?
Wow!

See post #27.

Oh yeh, it was just a joke right?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
I know tmac9wr fairly well, he does not mean any harm by his words. He didn't mean to insult anyone either, he's normally a very good poster and a very funny one too. Makes this board entertaining.

Please don't take what he said as an insult, as he was just going off some pictures, but he did ask to clarify if his assertions were right or wrong, and he was not trying to bash the place. I think he's just curious to see what Oklahoma City has got going on in those streets it's got!

And BTW: What a dull thread, there are no pictures to even draw lines for comparison! Shame on you all!!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
WOW! I like the way people voted yes, and alot of them were Texans.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Someone needs to post some pictures of bricktown and the boathouse on the Oklahoma river. I can't imagine it being hard to find pictures of a lot going on in dallas.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Is Oklahoma City thriving?

When I said "thriving metropolis" I'm meaning a big city with bustling streets, neighborhoods packed with people, a lively night scene, big events, etc. Oklahoma City doesn't appear that way to me. Am I wrong?
If by thriving, you mean great economy with a growing population, then OKC is thriving. And they actually have a lot of ool projects in the city's core there (look up Bricktown, Devon Tower, etc.). Actually. The Devon Tower will be taller than any building in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City