U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Van vs TJ?
Vancouver! 74 80.43%
Tijuanaa! 18 19.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 AM

637 posts, read 790,600 times

Advertisements

lol at TJ in the poll.

Interesting how people say Tijuana will never rival San Francisco but really, back in the day did people perceive L.A. a rival to Chicago, even NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 AM

10,180 posts, read 5,022,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
lol at TJ in the poll.

Interesting how people say Tijuana will never rival San Francisco but really, back in the day did people perceive L.A. a rival to Chicago, even NYC?
To be honest, a lot of people still don't see Los Angeles as America's 2nd second city.

I like Los Angeles quite a lot, and I think it's a good rival to Chicago and well New York City is a whole level ahead of both.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 AM

I was just trying to prove a point. Who even saw Chicago as a rival to NYC wayyyy back in the day?

But it's not America's second city. It's America's first! (hopefully no one will start an argument..)

Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 AM

3,203 posts, read 1,961,177 times
$20 in Tijuana goes a nice long way.

Quote:
Both West Coast border cities at opposite ends of the country. Both "twin" cities with major West Coast cities: San Diego and Seattle. Which is better? Go!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 AM

10,180 posts, read 5,022,858 times
Quote:
I was just trying to prove a point. Who even saw Chicago as a rival to NYC wayyyy back in the day?

But it's not America's second city. It's America's first! (hopefully no one will start an argument..)
No trust me, I like Los Angeles a lot. I wouldn't mind if it became first- it's a nice city.

But realistically, it would take a Chicago + Los Angeles to match New York City. Even in economics, the two combined are still 34 billion short of New York City's GDP.

It was back in the 1920's when it was the era of Chicago, at the time, projections placed it to get bigger than New York City, but a lot turned over and it didn't happen.
That rivalry between the two cities is one part of the reason why both of them look the way they do today. The other part is that they both have small land space, so they had to build up.

That rivalry helped them both become world class cities. But New York City pulled way in front of Chicago since then to now. Los Angeles is growing, but remember New York City has been ahead of the game for a century and a half before Los Angeles.

But yes, San Diego FTW!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 AM

Yeah, I get it though.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 AM

4,849 posts, read 5,128,447 times
Ok, now I will be super serious.

I could see how someone would prefer Tijuana over Vancouver if

-Someone is a Mexican citizen, and doesnt want to leave Mexico for Canada.
-Someone wanting a much lower cost of living than Vancouver.
-Someone wanting to live in a coastal desert climate with 4-15 inches a year instead of temperate rain forest 35-90 inches a year.
-Someone wanting access to Baja california desert beaches.
-Someone that knows Spanish but doesnt know English or West Coast British Columbian Canadian English(A dialect of English that Im making up but some sort of dialect like this maybe exists)
-Someone that can see any positives Tijuana has and having hope that it becomes "better" over time with certain things and trying to make the most of it and make it better.

Im sure there are plenty of great nice people in Tijuana.
Someone shouldnt automatically look down at someone else if they come from a particular place!

I wish 100% of New Yorkers(Im partially a New Yorker) and other people from other places had similar attitudes as I do with being able to see the positives of almost any place that exists, and that great things and great people can be anywhere!

Better than "this place is better than your place" mentality. How about this particular can be good for "x, y, and z" but maybe other places can be good for "x, y, and z" too.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-15-2010 at 03:31 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalurbanbalence View Post
ok, now i will be super serious.

I could see how someone would prefer tijuana over vancouver if

-someone is a mexican citizen, and doesnt want to leave mexico for canada.
-someone wanting a much lower cost of living than vancouver.
-someone wanting to live in a coastal desert climate with 4-15 inches a year instead of temperate rain forest 35-90 inches a year.
-someone that knows spanish but doesnt know english or west coast british columbian canadian english(a dialect of english that im making up but some sort of dialect like this maybe exists)
-someone that can see any positives tijuana has and having hope that it becomes "better" over time with certain things and trying to make the most of it and make it better.

Im sure there are plenty of great nice people in tijuana.
Someone shouldnt automatically look down at someone else if they come from a particular place!

I wish 100% of new yorkers(im partially a new yorker) and other people from other places had similar attitudes as i do with being able to see the positives of almost any place that exists, and that great things and great people can be anywhere!

Better than "this place is better than your place" mentality.
Lol I don't mind Coastal Desert .

Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 AM

4,849 posts, read 5,128,447 times
I love temperate rain forests and coastal deserts.

Vancouver has been very dry and sunny the past week except for two days, so now its a temperate rain forest and desert at the same time.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-15-2010 at 03:29 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM

11,568 posts, read 9,791,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Tijuana is ghetto.
In every city on this planet, even in the worst 3rd world country, you'll find a non-ghetto, Americanized section for the rich and middle class, including Africa and Bangladesh.

In Tijuana, take Aguas Caliente Blvd east, wander around the Chapultepec Golf Course, go up those steep hills to La Presa and see the many of the half-block long mansions and American-style commercial areas there. Also the playas of TJ.

You make it seem like the whole city is ghetto. Do your research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City