U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Van vs TJ?
Vancouver! 73 80.22%
Tijuanaa! 18 19.78%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2010, 08:05 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,286,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Are you a pool cleaner? Seriously, a guy came and cleaned the pool to my house when I was in SD and the guy found out we were from MN and asked, literally with a straight face "Does Minnesota have summers?" and then "Do people even have pools in MN?" Ironically that day it was 94 in MPLS and 74 in San Diego.

Anyways, my post was a 100% honest question. I live in the northern most part of our country. I have visited Mexico plenty of times- on Spring Break.... and all you see are the cute little resorts and then the crap butthole rest of the city... Mexico City looks gross... For being "Second in the Americas" in population, the skyline is laughable, it looks like Tulsa, OK. So other than that I have no idea if Mexico has decent, 1st world looking cities with skylines that aren't tourist destinations.

The picture below is one of the laughable skylines of(Founded 1325) Mexico City. The overall architecture, the castles, parks, cultural venues are overall more impressive than any city in Canada or the U.S.A. other than New York. I would barely include L.A, Chicago or S.F. in the same breathe architecture wise.

Mexico City has the 25th largest economy in the world. Tulsa, Ok? I use to live in Tulsa, come on now!

Minn-a-so-ta is a backwater compared to Mexico City.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/12/Ciudad_de_Mexico.png (broken link)

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 07-17-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,286,888 times
suburban Mexico City.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 PM

289 posts, read 445,581 times
It seems that everyone who's commented in favor of Tijuana really likes clubs, bars, and grit. Well, IMHO, a city is definitely not all about how many bars you can pack into a block or how many guys you see taking a dump in a gutter. Vancouver, for me. Also probably the same reasons it consistently scores at the top of Mercer's livability index.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:10 AM

9,417 posts, read 6,188,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
The picture below is one of the laughable skylines of(Founded 1325) Mexico City. The overall architecture, the castles, parks, cultural venues are overall more impressive than any city in Canada or the U.S.A. other than New York. I would barely include L.A, Chicago or S.F. in the same breathe architecture wise.

Mexico City has the 25th largest economy in the world. Tulsa, Ok? I use to live in Tulsa, come on now!

Yeah, not to turn this into a Mexico City thread...but D.F. is awesome. Everything from the colonial architecture around the Centro Historico to the more modern skyscraper districts around the Chapultepec Park and the Reforma to the more quaint artist districts like Coyoacan. Parts of it remind me of Buenos Aires or Europe, yet it still gets relatively few foreign tourists. And the food is great too...

Now Tijuana on the other hand...well--it's trying at least.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 AM

4,815 posts, read 5,168,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
It seems that everyone who's commented in favor of Tijuana really likes clubs, bars, and grit. Well, IMHO, a city is definitely not all about how many bars you can pack into a block or how many guys you see taking a dump in a gutter. Vancouver, for me. Also probably the same reasons it consistently scores at the top of Mercer's livability index.

I favor it because I've been there and live not very far from it

Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,375,652 times
The obsession with TJ must be a San Diego thing. I go to SD for a few weeks each year and every damn time some idiot will say "How about headin' down to TJ?"... It's like No you tard, I have no desire to go to Mexico, or that garbage of a town in Mexico. We are in SD for christs' sake, why would we go watch a donkey show with poor third world bums?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, not to turn this into a Mexico City thread...but D.F. is awesome. Everything from the colonial architecture around the Centro Historico to the more modern skyscraper districts around the Chapultepec Park and the Reforma to the more quaint artist districts like Coyoacan. Parts of it remind me of Buenos Aires or Europe, yet it still gets relatively few foreign tourists. And the food is great too...

Now Tijuana on the other hand...well--it's trying at least.
Yeah, Mexico City is so cool, LOL. Such a good city huh? It's a dump man. What city are you going to praise next, Mumbai?

Go study up on 3rd World Nations and get back to me.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post

Ok, so it's not a Tulsa, I guess it looks more like a generic Atlanta... Still embarrassing and subpar for "a city bigger than NYC".

Whatever dude, Minnesota is home to more Global 500s than Mexico City. They should stick to smogging up the air and eating tacos or whatever they unproductivley do in Mexico... Or just jumping borders into our country or whatever Mexicans do, because they certainly don't excel at being active business leaders or econimically satisfying people.

Cesar Chavez eat your heart out

Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 AM

139 posts, read 96,475 times
Vancouver is just ace. One of the best North American cities, if not one of the best in the world. Shame I didn't get to travel up there for the Olympics.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,512,711 times
Vancouver is definately much nicer and has better Chinese food while Tijuana is rather poor with a lot of drug cartel violence but awesome Mexican food and a thriving arts and music scene. One is gritty, the other polished. One is raw with the rough edges adding character while the other often seems like it could be any well planned coastal city in the US or Canada.

It really just depends on what you're looking for but I like TJ even with all of its rough edges. Besides living in San Diego I already get the polished and nice 1st world experience so when I cross the border I kind of want something a little bit more exotic and dangerous while Canada (I do love Canada and think it's a great place) is just a little to much like the US IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City