Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the more liberal atmosphere?
Los Angeles 25 67.57%
New York City 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

This isn't a political discussion in the sense that we start talking about who does what and how someone voted for (insert name here).

Here's the definition (I will bold the ones you can use to state which city):
lib·er·al

 /ˈlɪbərəl, ˈlɪbrəl/ Show Spelled[lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl] Show IPA
–adjective 1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.

2. ( often initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.

3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.

4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.

5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.

6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.

7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.

8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.

9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.

10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.

11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.

12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.

13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.

^^^ Only use the definitions I have in bold. I do NOT want to hear a political debate unless it's only about legalizing certain laws that change the atmosphere for large amounts of people in the cities.

Which city is more liberal based off feel and tolerance? And has more liberal like characteristics?

Like in other words which city do you think is more progressive in this sense that they've legalized things so more people would feel accepted.

I know both are liberal, but which one has a more liberal atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
Isn't California, like, the single state most commonly associated with Liberalism? For better or worse, the quintessential liberal state, and the state that is almost always on the receiving end of Tea Party disdain/vitriol? (and any other group of people who blame the state for what's wrong with this country's contemporary society)

Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Isn't California, like, the single state most commonly associated with Liberalism? For better or worse, the quintessential liberal state, and the state that is almost always on the receiving end of Tea Party disdain/vitriol?
Yeah but I'm talking specifically about these two metropolitan areas. Not the whole state.

Los Angeles is very liberal, but Boston, San Francisco, Portland, & Seattle are more by feel.

That's why I'm comparing these two metropolitan areas. They're so large, that it's hard to tell which one is more liberal.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
This is a tough one, but I think NYC is slightly more liberal than LA. Both cities have different type of liberalism from each other. My image of NYC is more urban liberals, like you would find in Boston, SF, or Seattle though not as extreme. LA has more of what I like to call "Hollywood liberals", meaning they think liberal on certain world and social issues, but because of their wealth I doubt they would want the government to get in their wallets for taxes.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
It's not easy to say, I would say Los Angeles economically, New York is more corporatist than LA because Wall Street is essential in this city.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,788 times
I am going to have to say LA just because they are in the state of California and California is by far the most progressive liberal state, I mean it's legal to grow pot here with a doctor's permission lol

Old 07-13-2010, 05:18 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
^^^Both good points. None of those Hollywood actors would want the government in there wallets, but NYC is home to Wall Street and our nations largest financial hub, meaning alot of RICH people who also would be resentful of a Government taxing the wealthy. It's a toss up. Both economically conservative, and both socially Liberal????? You think?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 AM

To Polo89, I have always viewed Los Angeles as the more socially liberal city, maybe not by a far margin since we're not comparing San Francisco to New York City, but I think Los Angeles just might have the edge because of it's peer city to the north, IMHO. Peer pressure benefits us all.

I don't know much about the regulations in the state of New York, so I can't talk there, but that's why I made the thread to get to the bottom of my curiosity. Lol.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
To Polo89, I have always viewed Los Angeles as the more socially liberal city, maybe not by a far margin since we're not comparing San Francisco to New York City, but I think Los Angeles just might have the edge because of it's peer city to the north, IMHO. Peer pressure benefits us all.

I don't know much about the regulations in the state of New York, so I can't talk there, but that's why I made the thread to get to the bottom of my curiosity. Lol.
Great point.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Great point.
Thanks, something I picked up in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City